My First Luxury Pen -- Suggestions.

MikeGB

So for those that haven't read my introduction post, I'm a student. Next year I'll be getting my loan for living expenses and since I don't go out drinking every weekend, I'll have money there to spend on something more sensible... like a pen I'll keep either for the rest of my life or at least a large chunk of it!

So, that in mind, what would you suggest?

I am thinking a Pelikan.

M600 or M800, maybe an M1000. I really need to look at the differences and people's experiences with them.

A Montblanc would be nice, but I don't know if I could justify the money right now while I'm not working. I always thought if I got a signing bonus when I graduate at my first job I apply for a graduate scheme, I'd treat myself to a 149.

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MikeGB

• torstar

• jar

• The Blue Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

What is a luxury pen for you?

Something expensive? Something made from special materials? A specific manufacturer? A limited edition? A classic design?

What is a luxury pen for you?

Something expensive? Something made from special materials? A specific manufacturer? A limited edition? A classic design?

I'd say a combination of those things, but luxury is typically determined by the price and the price is typically determine by the qualities that justify the price (Though, of course, brand name often contributes towards that but I don't think it discredits the merits of the product itself).

Pelikan is always a wonderful choice. Which Pelikan will depend on your personal taste and writting.

Since you are a student, I suggest checking out MB Starwalker. It a sporty pen with the little white star on it and it should be on the price range of the larger Pelikans.

Also Visconti makes beautiful pens with excellent nibs in that same price range.

The M800 is a great pen for its niche in price and quality.

It's big but not superbig.

For my 149 I got a decent buy used on ebay and then sent it to HQ to fix it up, all for half the market price of a brand new one.

The M800 is a great pen for its niche in price and quality.

It's big but not superbig.

For my 149 I got a decent buy used on ebay and then sent it to HQ to fix it up, all for half the market price of a brand new one.

Thanks.

I should probably mention as well that I have, I suppose, larger than average hands.

I'm not talking Michael Jordan size, but a pen like the Parker Vector just aren't very comfortable because it's so narrow.

The M800 and 149 would be suitable for you.

I'm a bit shy of MJ sized hands.

edit: and it's best to try before you buy.

There are also very good pens that are a bit lower in $$$ that those models for a first luxury pen.

Edited by torstar

When I see the term "Loan" and "buy luxury item" in the same sentence I cringe. Big mistake. Wait until you can say "Pay off loan" and "buy luxury item" in the same sentence.

You are young.

For now the goal should be pay off any loans.

When you get a signing bonus then consider that pen.

When I see the term "Loan" and "buy luxury item" in the same sentence I cringe. Big mistake. Wait until you can say "Pay off loan" and "buy luxury item" in the same sentence.

You are young.

For now the goal should be pay off any loans.

When you get a signing bonus then consider that pen.

Well, the loan system in the UK is incredibly good. For example, if I earn £25,000 a year, I pay back £35 a month. It's really not a big deal :)

I understand to most people it'd be quite unorthodox, but most others in my situation spend the same amount of money and more by going out partying and no-one bats an eye, so I don't think it's that bad of an idea :)

I appreciate your concerns though!

I would have to say it depends on your planned use. Is it going to be a daily use? Slow and fancy writing use? At least for me, I would pick a stiffer nib for daily use, such as the M800 but M1000 for occasional use or maybe slower writing use. I have a Pilot Fermo for on the go use, a Pilot Custom 823 for a daily/longer writing sessions, and plan on getting a M1000 for that "springy" nib. Nakayas are beautiful and I wanted one for a while but after having the Custom 823, I am going to require all future pens to have either piston or vacuum fill mechanisms.

I would have to say it depends on your planned use. Is it going to be a daily use? Slow and fancy writing use? At least for me, I would pick a stiffer nib for daily use, such as the M800 but M1000 for occasional use or maybe slower writing use. I have a Pilot Fermo for on the go use, a Pilot Custom 823 for a daily/longer writing sessions, and plan on getting a M1000 for that "springy" nib. Nakayas are beautiful and I wanted one for a while but after having the Custom 823, I am going to require all future pens to have either piston or vacuum fill mechanisms.

Hello mc,

I'd say daily use, yes.

I suggest saving the money or investing it. Spend the money on a good pair of shoes and suit for your job interviews.

Meanwhile, explore the many good inexpensive pens available.

I suggest saving the money or investing it. Spend the money on a good pair of shoes and suit for your job interviews.

He didn't say he was looking for career advice, he said he was looking for input re the purchase of a "luxury" pen. That being said, Pelikan would be a good choice, as others have said. Right now you could get an M1000 on Massdrop for $459 US but there are only a few days left before the item closes. The M800 being smaller would be a great choice also.

j1020

He didn't say he was looking for career advice, he said he was looking for input re the purchase of a "luxury" pen. That being said, Pelikan would be a good choice, as others have said. Right now you could get an M1000 on Massdrop for $459 US but there are only a few days left before the item closes. The M800 being smaller would be a great choice also.

we know... and yeah but....

Thank you but I have both :)

I wouldn't be spending this money unless I could afford to.

Me having a student loan doesn't affect me or my credit rating at all, much less negatively. I am just choosing to spend it on a more worthwhile product than alcohol like many in my position do.

Thanks.

I think the M800 would be a better fit for me comfort wise. I think the M800 is one I'll definitely have to look to try if I can find somewhere locally that sells them.

I agree that Pelikan is a good choice. The relationship of prize vs. value is (to my opinion) much better than Montblanc.

If you are looking for a bigger pen then a Pelikan Ductus might be another candidate. The Ductus is a cartridge/converter and heavy pen. The design references the typical "Stresemann" design of Pelikan.

Regards, Ingolf.

P.S.: If it´s possible then compare the M800 and the M1000/1005. Especially the big (I mean big) nib of the M1000/1005 is worth the additional cost.

Edited by ingolf

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

Who said alcohol is not worthwhile? A good bottle of Lagavulin gives pleasure for so many days. Students these days!! :-)

Joking aside, my opinion would be - if you want this pen to be with you for that long, choose one which can be serviced and has spares available easily. Montblanc is the one that comes to mind. You could buy a vintage 149 with a very good nib and tatty body a bit cheap, get the body sorted out by their service centre and get the nib tuned by oxonian (see that you here in UK) and that will give you years of pleasure.

The Pelikan M800's and above have a brass piston mechanism which I like. Given your hand size I would not do the M600. Also, I would be reluctant to be flashing a $500-$700 Pelikan around in an academic environment, just FYI. Too much risk of damage or theft for me.

Enjoy.

Glenn