I Find A Grey Snorkel Signature?!

Boiling Black Coffee

I know Snorkel Signature can be found in black, green and burgundy, as well as TM Signature. But today, I find a Grey Snorkel Signature?!

The Grey Signature come with a broken box and a matching pencil, has a 14K hallmark on the ring.

post-118493-0-35332000-1427282499_thumb.jpg

post-118493-0-85697300-1427282505_thumb.jpg

post-118493-0-44591300-1427282509_thumb.jpg

post-118493-0-88318600-1427282515_thumb.jpg

post-118493-0-67259700-1427282527_thumb.jpg

post-118493-0-25270500-1427282521_thumb.jpg

post-118493-0-84902900-1427282533_thumb.jpg

post-118493-0-96424600-1427282536_thumb.jpg

Does the Grey Snorkel Signature really exist? Is it possible that the gold ring comes from a normal Signature? Can the gold ring be moved and replaced? If it is really exist, can we find a Signature in blue too?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Boiling Black Coffee

• Ernst Bitterman

• ANM

• Nathaniel Harter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks a lot like a Valiant to me, except it doesn't have the 2 lines in the gold. Could you post some pictures of the nib?

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Looks a lot like a Valiant to me, except it doesn't have the 2 lines in the gold. Could you post some pictures of the nib?

It shares the same nib with Valiant, 14K two-tone triumph nib, Signature is a Valiant with 14K cap ring. I am quite sure that it is a "Signature", I just don't know this Signature was made by Sheaffer or remodeled by someone else.

Having a look at catalogues; the proportions look right for the band on a Signature Snorkel in the '55 and '53 books (it was rather wider in the '51, pre-Snorkel), and the 14K impression sort of demands it is either an Signature or an Autograph (which has a CRAZY wide band). There's pretty general agreement about the colour choices, though, and grey isn't one of 'em. Are they USA production? If Canadian, Australian or elsewhere, that might shed some light on the anomaly.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I've got a black signature and an autograph, and the band on the signature is at least 1.5 that width. It is lovely, but I don't think it is a grey signature.

I have a Snorkel Autograph, Autograph's band is 1.5cm wide and Signature's is 1cm wide.

And I have another Snorkel Signature in black,too. Except the color, this one is totally the same with the black Signature, so I think it is a Signature.

Having a look at catalogues; the proportions look right for the band on a Signature Snorkel in the '55 and '53 books (it was rather wider in the '51, pre-Snorkel), and the 14K impression sort of demands it is either an Signature or an Autograph (which has a CRAZY wide band). There's pretty general agreement about the colour choices, though, and grey isn't one of 'em. Are they USA production? If Canadian, Australian or elsewhere, that might shed some light on the anomaly.

I am not sure about the place of production. The barrel and the nib have imprint said they were made in USA, but I find no imprint on the cap.

The pen is a Signature. The cap bands can be changed so it's possible that occurred, it's also possible to have been an off catalog or made to order set. Personally I think most likely the bands have been changed for 2 reasons 1. Why would you special order a Signature instead of an Autograph? 2. As a special order I would have thought the pen would have a signature on the band rather than initials. Regardless it's a lovely, interesting and unique find.

Someone mentioned above the Signature bands varied between the Snorkel and the earlier TM TD, this is not correct and both models have the same size band.

Someone mentioned above the Signature bands varied between the Snorkel and the earlier TM TD, this is not correct and both models have the same size band.

My fault-- there appeared to be a difference in the widths, based on the PDF scans of catalogues showing artists' impressions of the pens rather than photographs, and I spoke with entirely too much emphasis above.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

The pen is a Signature. The cap bands can be changed so it's possible that occurred, it's also possible to have been an off catalog or made to order set. Personally I think most likely the bands have been changed for 2 reasons 1. Why would you special order a Signature instead of an Autograph? 2. As a special order I would have thought the pen would have a signature on the band rather than initials.

Hugh -

Why would a custom-color Signature be more likely to have a signature on the bands than would a standard-color Signature?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Hugh -

Why would a custom-color Signature be more likely to have a signature on the bands than would a standard-color Signature?

--Daniel

Maybe a custom one is more attracted to sign your name on it