3Rd Annual 2015 Northwest Pen Round-Up!

Michael McNeil

Hi all, It's official, The 3rd Annual Northwest Pen Round-Up! will be held on Saturday July 11th, 2015, at the Lucky Labrador Brewing Co. In Portland, Oregon, from 11:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. It is the same weekend as the largest antique show in the Northwest, the Christine Palmer Antique Show.

We had a good turnout last year. We hope to make this event even bigger this year.

There were people there from B.C., Washington state, Oregon, California, and possibly from states that I was not aware of. There were plenty of fountain pens, mechanical pencils, and desk top items. There was plenty of commerce in writing instruments and plenty to buy, sell, trade, admire, learn about and discuss.

All pen collectors and users are invited, wherever you are. We do not limit this event to just people from the Northwest or the West Coast.

Admission is free. We only charge a nominal fee for vendors who want to set up. If you would like table space, please contact us early, as space is very limited.

If you would like to reserve table space please contact Stuart Hawkinson or me Michael McNeil.

s.hawkinson@comcast.net

michael@northwestpenworks.com

The address for the Lucky Labrador Brewing Co. is 1945 N.W. Quimby Street, Portland Oregon, U.S.A. The Lucky Lab offers very reasonably priced food and libations in a converted industrial space, near downtown Portland with easy freeway access.

Anyone coming should consider taking in the Christine Palmer Antique Show, at the Expo Center. It is the oldest and largest antique show in the Northwest. Early admission to the antique show is Friday and the show is Saturday and Sunday. The Summer show is the largest of their shows and has many booths indoor and outdoor. The weather in Portland is usually very mild compared to the rest of the country in the Summer. There are lots of things to do in Portland and it is often voted one of the more livable cities in the country. http://christinepalmer.net/

A couple of photos from past Round-Ups.
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/Pen%20Round-Up/PenRoundUp14JG5B_zpsf4396c04.jpg
http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc361/MacPenz/Pen%20Round-Up/PenRoundUpJG1B_zpsd8f306a4.jpg

Edited by Michael McNeil

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Michael McNeil

• fireant

• Dickkooty2

• benbot517

Thanks for this announcement! I hope to be up and runnung brfore this event! Is there an email mailing list to be put on? If so, I am dick@swart.org

Are you planning on attending or intending to set up and sell?

I'm just a small collector interested in seeing what others have/sell. Sounds like a fun event.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any recommendations for good economical motels near the Expo Center or the pen show?

Thanks,

Nueces39

I've never been out to the the Lucky Labrador, what's the parking like? I may try to stop in on my way to work that day.

So space and time are linked together. As we are looking across space, we are looking back in time. The further and further away those stars are the further back in time you are looking. Now you are seeing a star that is say six thousand years ago. Imagine somebody at that star looking at us They would be seeing us as we were six thousand years ago. Which of those two is now? - Alan Parsons Project The Time Machine - Temporalia (Paraphrased)

The parking is not very good, especially later in the day, unless you happen to get lucky :)

There are some motel/hotels, not far from the Expo Center, Oxford Suites, a Motel 6 or Best Western, and I'm not sure what others. They are in the Delta Park area.

Update!

We have had quite a bit of interest from both those people who want
to attend the event and from sellers inquiring about display tables.
There will be sellers from California, Washington state, British Columbia.
Also Sam and Frank Fiorella aka Pendemonium will be here from Arizona
as well as Dan and Cindie Reppert, from Ft. Madison, Iowa.

• 3 weeks later...

Super excited for this. I'm going to the Antique show beforehand to try and find a few to restore.

"Oh deer."

We went to the antique show earlier today -lots of fun.

Found some cool things there.

Foodwise, there is a black truck as you enter that has the best sausage I've tasted since living in Portland!!

Also bumping for tomorrow - I've very excited to see the pen show!!

Hi C.,

I thought I saw you out wandering the dealer setups out in the parking lot, but was not sure it was you.

Dang! I might have to check out that sausage truck, if I go out on Sunday.

It was not a very productive day for me at the antique show, but I had fun and found some things that I think some friends will like.

Best find, a Charles Keeran pre-Wahl "Ever Sharp" gold filled mechanical pencil, made about 1916, I think.

Michael

Oh that was me! You should've said hi!! Earlier I was checking out the glass floats from the Astoria folks and on the way out we walked around a bit.

But yes the best deal was that sausage with the carmelized onions-yum.

As far as puchases I bought two dip pens (one a huge aiken lambert-super flex noodle) and the other a flex with a really pretty mother of pearl handle.

Found a Mabie Todd ringtop for a steal and I saw a really pretty parker button filler that I gave to my bf.

I will try to get there early to help if you need set up folks.

See you tomorrow.

Edited by fireant

The antique show was a huge success on my end. Found a Cross Apogee with an 18k nib and a retro 51 tornado as well as two copper Esterbrook SJs. The pen club meet was awesome too. It's always so fun getting to meet up, swap stories, and seen other friends in the hobby!

"Oh deer."

So sad to have missed this!

But, my friend /neighbors (family of four ) lost everything in a fire at 3am July 5 the, and they needed massive help all week - I was so delieriosly exhausted that I wasn't making any full sentences lol

I wanted to go, but needed to rest.

And, with vacation and school clothes shopping coming up it's probably for the best - I am just drooling over new ink and pens.

Are photos posted anywhere?

Sorry I missed everyone!!

Two lovers in the rain have no need of an umbrella

~ Japanese Proverb ~

I am trying to uh... round up more photos from the event, that different ones might have taken. When I get everything together I will post about it all, with photos. It might be a few days. We can't rush these things you know! ;)

Edited by Michael McNeil

So sad to have missed this!

But, my friend /neighbors (family of four ) lost everything in a fire at 3am July 5 the, and they needed massive help all week - I was so delieriosly exhausted that I wasn't making any full sentences lol

I wanted to go, but needed to rest.

And, with vacation and school clothes shopping coming up it's probably for the best - I am just drooling over new ink and pens.

Are photos posted anywhere?

Sorry I missed everyone!!

What an awesome thing to do for your friends.

You did the right thing helping your neighbors. You deserve a medal!