Sheaffer No Nonsense Fountain Pen

pagama

I have several and use them reasonably often. I find the model to be well suited to my hand and style of writing. Good writers for a cheap pen.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• jar

• Manalto

• Pincel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the black version. Ie to keep it as the pen to offer if you have to offer a pen, to someone who doesn't use fountain pens. Bullet proof and cheap enough if it gets damaged, I'm not going to care. Fine and medium nibs are great writers, but the broad nibs I got with the pen don't write as easily. Nibs are still and if you roll the nibs ever so slightly, you get no contact and ink feed to the paper. So I don't use those any more. But I love this Sheaffer.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have a few (Mainly from buying in groups) that I use every so often. My favorite is my blue one I got from Pendemonium. If you want to change the nibs of the newer ones out (the ones with rubber grips) you can use the current-production Sheaffer caligraphy pen nibs. The caligraphy ones are basically the No-nonsense but with a view window and the slanted top.

Nathaniel Harter
Sheaffer Pen Museum Volunteer
spmlogofpn.png

Thanks, jar. I have the same Connaisseur as yours, but have no No-Nonsense pens. I've been swapping modular nib units between it and my Balance II pens, and have lost track of which unit is original to which pen!

Were No-Nonsense pens manufactured only after the BIC takeover?

Fred

FWIW, Balance IIs all have Feather Touch nibs, the Connoisseur nibs have scroll work on them. Also, those nibs and sections will fit a NN, but you'd have to trim the knob of the converter down to prevent the converter getting wedged in the barrel. Just in case you feel some odd need to fit a $5.00 pen with an expensive nib.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

... the Connoisseur nibs have scroll work on them. Also, those nibs and sections will fit a NN...

Not all Connaisseur nibs will.

fpn_1364663460__connaisseurnibs.jpg

The classic No Nonsense will not accept Type I and Type III Connaisseur nib sections above.

fpn_1434850097__cocursive.jpg

FWIW, Balance IIs all have Feather Touch nibs,

Not quite true. The pens in the marbled acrylic (Aspen, Jade, blue etc) had the two tone Feather Touch nibs, the solid color pens had gold Lifetime nibs.

Pull the spring from the NN RB barrel, and you won't need to modify the converter at all.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Not all Connaisseur nibs will.

fpn_1364663460__connaisseurnibs.jpg

The classic No Nonsense will not accept Type I and Type III Connaisseur nib sections above.

This image should be attributed to Dennis Bowden { RIP }, which is from article

he wrote for the Pennant....Anyone can read the entire article in pdf..

in two parts......................................here......................................................

http://www.parkvillepen.com/connaisseurcollection.html

Fred

Edited by Freddy

This image should be attributed to Dennis Bowden { RIP }, which is from article

he wrote for the Pennant....Anyone can read the entire article in pdf..

in two parts......................................here......................................................

http://www.parkvillepen.com/connaisseurcollection.html

Fred

I know, tried to ask Dennis for "fair use" permission of the photo but he's been dead for years now.

I have three of the earlier style - no transparent cases or rubber grips - and two sets of the calligraphy nibs (fine, medium, broad) that originally came with them, so six nibs in all. I use converters and empty cartridges with them for quick, no fuss, change of colour when writing cards, notes, spice jar labels or seed envelopes.

I still have my Sheaffer Nn in yellow. Don't mind picking up a few more colours!

I wear my Pen as others do their Sword.

John Oldham

I have three of the earlier style - no transparent cases or rubber grips - and two sets of the calligraphy nibs (fine, medium, broad) that originally came with them, so six nibs in all. I use converters and empty cartridges with them for quick, no fuss, change of colour when writing cards, notes, spice jar labels or seed envelopes.

Carol, that was truly and literally a no-nonsense comment!

James

Just in case you feel some odd need to fit a $5.00 pen with an expensive nib.

OTOH, I've no problem fitting my more expensive compatible Balance IIs and Connies with this "cheap" NoNonsense nib:

fpn_1410043417__xfgpnn2s.jpg

Yes, XF gold plated NoNonsense nibs exist! One of my smoothest, smoother than some of my more expensive gold nibs.

I'm trying to find out more about the gold plated nibs like yours - I have a number of them, and they write very well indeed, including the XF. I still don't know if they have real tipping material like the Prelude nibs, or why the finish is so much better, or why they have what looks like (but likely isn't) a hallmark on them.

I installed one in this stainless NN that I picked up as a rollerball and converted. I had one a few years ago that I later sold, regretted selling, and finally found one again last month. They don't pop up all that often, and I've never seen one sold as a FP. Not that they weren't, just that I haven't seen it. I plated the trim ring on the section with rhodium to match the pen. This one is in regular use. A very nice writing pen.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/SSNN.jpg

This is one that I pimped out last year - gold plating the trim and putting a white dot on it because I had them, and I could - and I wanted to tease some of my fellow pen mechanics with it. It was worth the effort. Their eyes bounced around, and you could hear the gears in their brain clash as they tried to figure out what it was. I don't carry it because the plating doesn't stick to the chrome very well, but it held long enough!

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/pimpedNN.jpg

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

I like that stainless NN very much. Is the conversion simple?

Pull the spring out of the end of the barrel, insert a writing unit (nib assembly). A squeeze converter will fit, and maybe a piston converter too. I have squeeze converters, so that's what I used.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens

I'm trying to find out more about the gold plated nibs like yours - I have a number of them, and they write very well indeed, including the XF. I still don't know if they have real tipping material like the Prelude nibs, or why the finish is so much better, or why they have what looks like (but likely isn't) a hallmark on them.

The not-really-hallmark question has had some light shone on it. The short form is that it's an indication of the actual gold-ness of the plating.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

I have a marbled jade GT NN with F Italic nib that I use with a piston converter. I had another in Jade GT that had a gold plated F nib that I gave away to a friends. The current model NN italic do not attract me at all and so haven't got any of them.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have had the Sheaffer no-nonsense (transparent green) with me for only a few days and in that time I haven't been able to let go of it. I am using it as an eyedropper, no silicon grease applied. I am getting more of these pens in the next few weeks.

An inexpensive pen which writes as well as some of the more expensive ones in my collection.

Regards

Rakshit

Does anyone still have theirs and is it used as often as the others?

Yes. Several. They don't get used as often as some others, but love the interchangeable nibs and endless color schemes.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

So, have you "attended" any of the Bianchi tournaments ?

A couple of years ago, the 'pink' Nononsense was discontinued. I think is more of

a "fuchsia". I can understand why nobody wanted one. (Uggggh-leee !) I bought

the entire lot of an Ebay seller @ $3.25 . Everyone of my people, close by, has one,

now. Fun !

By the way, we use the short international standard cartridge. I use a "push-pin"

to punch a starter hole in the flat end. Then, I carefully install the cartridge.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !