Sheaffer No Nonsense Fountain Pen

pagama

Does anyone still have theirs and is it used as often as the others?

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• jar

• Manalto

• Pincel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have several, and several different nibs, including some of the calligraphy nibs that were stubbed. They make rotation, but not as often as many other pens. Sometimes, when I send people ink sampler sheets I load them up for use with different inks.

I have some that are not the best writers, but a couple have great flown and lay down a great line.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

I have a few. They are great "throw in the bag" pens. The only nib that I've ever had problems with is the Italic broad, basically because it always wants more ink than the pen can supply. All the rest of the nibs are fine.

Much Love--Virginia

Four functional, all italics. Two broad, a medium, & a fine, although I've never used the broads. They write beautifully, but they're cheap pens that look & feel pretty much like what they are. I don't use them terribly often because my preference tends to run wider than the fine, but less than the medium & I have nicer pens that fill that niche.

Do No-Nonsense pens come from the same mold as the Connaisseur, just in different color plastic?

I like vintage, but I am a big fan of Sheaffer nibs from the 1980-90s, especially the stubs.

Fred

Do No-Nonsense pens come from the same mold as the Connaisseur, just in different color plastic?

I like vintage, but I am a big fan of Sheaffer nibs from the 1980-90s, especially the stubs.

Fred

No. The Connaisseur is more rounded and had the upscale Sheaffer gold nibs.

Connie third from right

http://www.fototime.com/40AB8B0057FD11F/large.jpg

"For the Guy" basically an upscale NoNonsense with gold plated nib and furniture

http://www.fototime.com/85551986AB08418/large.jpg

My Website

I use mine with the fine calligraphy nib for cursive italic. I don't like it as well as a broad CI ground by a professional but it's my favorite cheap pen. I've been using it a couple times a week.

Kent

I got a fuschia marbleized one with medium nib new in the 1980s and it sat unused for many years until my recently-renewed interest motivated me to dig it out. I put a converter in it and it performs flawlessly. Recently I added to my stash a brown body and an assortment of italic nibs, which all perform well. As mentioned above, the broad nib will starve if you try to write at a normal 'longhand' pace, but it's fine for calligraphy. No doubt it's a cheapie, but honestly so - that's how it was marketed originally. Other cheap pens should perform so well.

Edited by Manalto

James

All but three of the pens in my collection are NoNonsense pens. One of them is my original one that came in the calligraphy set that I received way back in the day when I was in junior high school. It was my first fountain pen and introduction to calligraphy. I've been hooked ever since. I now have a decent collection of colors and range of nibs for both calligraphy and regular writing. I use them all pretty much every day. I like the pen's simple design and fun colors and the fact that they are virtually indestructible. All of mine write smoothly, although not as smoothly as my Connaisseurs. I'm always on the lookout for more of them.

I donated all of mine (also a good number of calligraphic nib-sets) to a dear friend in the UK.

During my teaching days I had a work station dedicated to the best cursive writing (using the reg. nibs) or the best hand printing (with italic nibs) using Sheaffer's No-Nonsense fountain pens.

Before the computer or printer this was a way of producing a legible "good copy". My grade 5s couldn't wait to get at the pens.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I've got a small heap, and rather more sections giving me available sizes ball F and M, italic XF(!), F, B, BB(!) and SH1. They don't, I'll admit, get as much use as they should, but I'd feel bereft without them around. My wife has about a dozen that are all she writes with, mostly italic Fs but at least one with a ball.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks, jar. I have the same Connaisseur as yours, but have no No-Nonsense pens. I've been swapping modular nib units between it and my Balance II pens, and have lost track of which unit is original to which pen!

Were No-Nonsense pens manufactured only after the BIC takeover?

Fred

NoNonsense were introduced in 1969, during the Textron days. You may know an early one by the rubber feed.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

My father ran a tool and die shop for 30+ years and the company bought a couple of big boxes of No-Nonsense BPs marked with the company logo as promotional items. He gave some to his children and, pack rat that I am, I kept mine. 35 years later I saw that Pendemonium was selling sections that allowed me to convert 5 of them to c/c FPs, four fines and a medium. I use them on an occasional basis, usually around my father's birthday. They write well and there is the emotional attachment. It is a good pen for the money.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi