Aurora Optima - Dripping Nib

aawhite

I have two Aurora Optimas, one is black with Rhodium plated gold nib and the other a blue Auroloide with a gold nib. I also have an Aurora Talentum with a gold nib.

Lately, the gold nib of the blue Auroloide started to have flow problems. The ink uncontrollably accumulates in the feeder and starts to drip. I tried using different inks but the results are the same.

At first, I though that the Optima piston seal was broken. To test this, I swapped the nibs of my Talentum and Optima. The Talentum nib, which has no problems, was working well in the Optima. The problematic Optima nib, however, continued dripping in the Talentum. So, I believe it is the nib that has a problem and not the Optima pen.

Also, my other Optima with the Rhodium plated gold nib has no problems.

Has anyone experienced this problem as well? Are there other possible reasons why this nib suddenly started to drip ink?

Thank you very much in advance.

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aawhite

• s_t_e_v_e

• hari317

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no expert but sounds like a problematic feed to me. Did you try washing the feed and nib assembly thoroughly with mild soap water or ammonia solution? Maybe thee are some fine debris in the feed that are causing the ink to drip.

I haven't had this problem with any of my pens.

I have two Aurora Optimas, one is black with Rhodium plated gold nib and the other a blue Auroloide with a gold nib. I also have an Aurora Talentum with a gold nib.

Lately, the gold nib of the blue Auroloide started to have flow problems. The ink uncontrollably accumulates in the feeder and starts to drip. I tried using different inks but the results are the same.

At first, I though that the Optima piston seal was broken. To test this, I swapped the nibs of my Talentum and Optima. The Talentum nib, which has no problems, was working well in the Optima. The problematic Optima nib, however, continued dripping in the Talentum. So, I believe it is the nib that has a problem and not the Optima pen.

Also, my other Optima with the Rhodium plated gold nib has no problems.

Has anyone experienced this problem as well? Are there other possible reasons why this nib suddenly started to drip ink?

Thank you very much in advance.

sounds like a leak associated with the nib unit.

possibilities: cracked nib unit sleeve, also examine the O-ring that seals the nib unit to section.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I'm no expert but sounds like a problematic feed to me. Did you try washing the feed and nib assembly thoroughly with mild soap water or ammonia solution? Maybe thee are some fine debris in the feed that are causing the ink to drip.

I haven't had this problem with any of my pens.

sounds like a leak associated with the nib unit.

possibilities: cracked nib unit sleeve, also examine the O-ring that seals the nib unit to section.

Sorry for the late reply. I was away for the Easter break.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

I will follow the suggestions, both of which I have not yet looked into. I just simply swapped the Optima and Talentum nibs and that is how I suspect it is the nib unit. I will have to disassemble the nib unit to see what is the problem.

Edited by aawhite

I only have two pens - an Aurora Optima and others.