• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jvillan29

• tinkerteacher

• SnorriRafn

• Blue_Moon

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, but I would definitely recommend either Pilot. They are fantastic pens. In my experience, they are far ahead of the TWSBI in workmanship and nib quality. Note that the 74 is a cartridge converter pen in contrast to the TWSBI.

I have several TWSBI's and the 92. Unless the TWSBI has been worked on by a nib meister, the 92 would win hands down in my book. It is thinner though so your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the replies. I want to experience with other price range pens, before I put out the money for the Pilot 912. I really got my mind set on that pen!!

I have a TWSBI 580 and a Pilot CH 91 which is similar to the 92 but uses a cartridge converter. The Pilot is definitely a step up from the TWSBI. Both are fantastic pens so I wouldn't necessarily expect it to be a night and day difference. You can't go wrong with either pen though.

I have a twsbi 580al fine nib. Just wondering if the Pilot 74 or 92, be an upgrade from my twsbi?

Absolutely. No question about it.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Depends on what is most important to you; quality, ergonomics, size. And, then there are the differences in nibs.

The 92 is a fair bit smaller than the 580, both in length and in girth. Actually, it is fairly close in length to a posted TWSBI Mini, though the MIni has more girth. Ergonomics wise, I perfer the TWSBI over the Pilot.

Quality wise, there is no contest and thus nothing to discuss. 92 all the way.

Nib wise, they are very different and aimed at very different markets. The 92 has a very springy and juicy nib, and that is even before you hack in one of Pilot's amesome Soft nibs from a 91. The 580's is a typical German nib. Big, stiff and throws down a wide line. Steel vs. Gold is all marketing.

For me the perfect marriage would be if I could get a TWSBI with a Pilot nib.

Edited by tinkerteacher

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Thanks for the replies. I want to experience with other price range pens, before I put out the money for the Pilot 912. I really got my mind set on that pen!!

I recently got a 912 with the FA nib and had it customized for needlepoint and extra flex. Really happy with it, but with that customization it is not for general purpose writing, it's pretty much only useful for Spencerian. But that's what I bought it for! My daily writer is a Pilot Custom 923 with a .7mm cursive italic nib.

Bill Sexauer
http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768697.0/org/p/PCA+++Logo+small.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/zyNIMDOgTcgMOO/5768694.0/org/p/Blk+Pen+Society+Icon.jpghttp://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album/share/TE3TzMUAMMYyNM/8484890.0/300/p/CP04_Black_Legend%2C_Small.jpg
PCA Member since 2006

Been a while. I happened to ink my TWSBI 580 just moments ago. It prompted me to check the forum and here is the thread. My TWSBI writes great. But, it's a bit thinner than I prefer. Since I change out fountain pens often, I can get the desired spread depending on the mood I'm in. This week, it's TWSBI time. Next week . . . who knows.

I prefer the TWSBI bodies and the Pilot nibs...Both are high quality pens with TWSI being more innovative and Pilot being more traditional. I really enjoy the pens from both companies. ;)

if you like TWSBI if you like Pilot nibs note Pilot nibs can fit into the 580 nib unit that is all

So what nibs do you suggest from Pilot to use on the TWSBI?

Thank you for all your replies! I am really enjoying my twsbi. I like the looks, how it feels, and most importantly how it writes. Also the ink capacity is a plus. Well hopefully one day I will have a Pilot pen for comparison.

On the way to my location from Japan, is a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 M Nib, Smoke Black Transperancy. Can't wait to have that pen in my hand and filler up with Iroshizuku Take-Sumi, and watch and feel the nib glide across the superb smoothness of the A5 Apica Premium paper.

So what nibs do you suggest from Pilot to use on the TWSBI?

The Pilot #5 nibs off the Customs 74,91,92 will fit in the TWSBI 580 with a bit of feed modification.

Unfortunately, getting them into a Mini is quite a bit harder as I am finding out.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

• 2 weeks later...

I received my Pilot CH 92 from Japan, which only took 15 days to deliver at my door. I would say just like other members post, that the Pilot 14k nib is quite smooth and soft, compared to the TWSBI steel nib. Although the TWSBI is quite pleasant to look at. I am happy with both pens and will be purchasing from both manufacturers soon. If impatient of waiting for the TWSBI mini vac or eco, might have to purchase the Pilot 912.