Lamy 2000 With Fine Nib

JerryC

I purchased a Lamy 2000 with XF nib. It was discounted on Amazon to $107.00 and listed as Condition: Used - Very Good. It was a return, so I figured that if something is wrong with it I could get a return. (I am a Prime member.)

When the package was opened, I discovered the pen had a fine nib instead of the x-fine nib. The box had the wrong pen in it. Whoever inspected it at Amazon did not know the difference, and relisted it for a discount.

I dipped the pen and wrote a few lines. It is probably the smoothest pen I have. My Parker Duofold is close, but it has the xf nib. Under a 10X loupe, it is very close to my Safari xf. I would guess it is on the narrow side of fine.

It is a wet writer. If I fill it, will the ink feed about the same wetness as dipping, or will it be wetter? The wetter flow will cause a broader line.

Would you return it and reorder the xf, or keep it for the discounted price? (Knowing I could get an xf nib on the broad side.)

Thanks

Pilot VP / f nib

Lamy Safari w/ef nib

Lamy 2000 w/ef nib

Parker 45 w/xf nib

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JerryC

• TSherbs

• FountainPages

• graystranger

if you fill it, the ink flow should be drier than if you dipped it. As for whether or not to keep it, I'd say keep it. If the line width works, you said it's the smoothest nib you have. If the pen works for you, a smooth nib is a wonderful thing indeed.

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."

So, does it say XF on the box and F on the pen (does it say the size on the Lamy 2000?). If so then I'd wonder if someone maybe pulled a fast one with that pen, maybe swapped the pen out for one that they already had and returned an older one to amazon?

I mean, I don't wanna put you off in any way, but I'd wonder if Lamy (in their factory) does not do a better job (with one of their high-end models) at keeping different sizes out of each others boxes...

People do that kinda stuff. You wouldn't believe the things people try to return, saying, 'oh it was like that when I got this, honest.' (with or without a straight face)

If people have 'fluctuating' morals, they'll actually convince themselves that that's fair game, that that's not stealing or something similar. People.

Edited by mike.jane

So, does it say XF on the box and F on the pen (does it say the size on the Lamy 2000?). If so then I'd wonder if someone maybe pulled a fast one with that pen, maybe swapped the pen out for one that they already had and returned an older one to amazon?

I mean, I don't wanna put you off in any way, but I'd wonder if Lamy (in their factory) does not do a better job (with one of their high-end models) at keeping different sizes out of each others boxes...

People do that kinda stuff. You wouldn't believe the things people try to return, saying, 'oh it was like that when I got this, honest.' (with or without a straight face)

If people have 'fluctuating' morals, they'll actually convince themselves that that's fair game, that that's not stealing or something similar. People.

The outer box was labeled XF, the plastic pen sleve was labeled F. I took the nib apart to clean it as there was some ink residue under the hood. The nib is marked F. This is hidden under the hood, so the nib must be removed to see the mark. Other wise the pen is in new condition.

Pilot VP / f nib

Lamy Safari w/ef nib

Lamy 2000 w/ef nib

Parker 45 w/xf nib

If it's the "smoothest pen I have" KEEP IT.

Like the old cigarette ad phrase used to say (paraphrase) what diff does a silly micro mm make

Too much hassle and p&m in returning the pen.Amazon almost like eBay

Keep looking for a 2000 w xF in the mean time

Just enjoy.!

I decided to fill the pen with Noodlers Midnight Blue ink, so I could get a true performance measure of the fine nib's flow. Wow, this is a gusher in comparison to my Lamy Safari XF. Average dry time is 10-12 seconds for the 2000, 3-5 seconds for the Safari. The 2000 is putting 2x the ink down at least.

Is there any way to slow the flow out of the feed? Is this normal for the 2000? Will an XF have slower flow rate?

Thanks

Pilot VP / f nib

Lamy Safari w/ef nib

Lamy 2000 w/ef nib

Parker 45 w/xf nib

I have bought a "Fine" Makrolon 2000 recently (3 weeks ago, it was new) and right from the box the nib was very dry and a little scratchy. A lot of hard starts too. I had to "massage" the nib quite a bit to spread the tines and now it is definitely on the wet side like I like it. I let it settle a little and after couple of fills I'll get to smoothing because it has more feedback now than I like.

See, their production is maybe not that consistent to draw conclusions just from few reviews: one could be dry, another - wet, who knows what the next one will be.

I must say I quite like the pen, it sits well in the hand and piston filling is always welcome with me.

Edited by Dolganoff

Hooded nibs are the best

Keep it! The price is low enough to have a nib guy rework it to EF. If you like it as is and it is as smooth as you say...no brainer.

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

There are videos and guides in various places online. Search "decrease ink flow fountain pen" and that should do you. Be aware if adjusting that the gold nib, whilst flexible, will reach an elastic limit.

Sometimes you have to fond an ink matching your pen. Noodler's may not be the best choice here. You might be willing to try Pelikan or Lamy inks.

amonjak.com

post-21880-0-68964400-1403173058.jpg

free 70 pages graphic novel. Enjoy!

I would try another ink and paper first before tuning the nib.

"On the internet nobody knows you're a cat." =^.^=

The only problem with switching inks, most are not waterproof and bullet proof, like Noodler's. I refuse to use inks that run in the sight of water...might as well use a ball point!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

My Lamy 2000 F (purchased in Feb) has been quite wet out of the box. They run, usually, a little wet and broad. I sometimes wish I had an XF, but only on cheap paper or when trying to write small. I don't know what the XF is like on this pen.

Honestly, if I were you, I would trade it in for what you actually ordered, unless you have hundreds of dollars to throw around at multiple versions of the same pen (I do not).

My Lamy EF Al-Star was pretty dry writing, I had to massage its nib to make it a more normal wet writing pen. My Lamy 2000 F was much wetter from the go and broader too. But I love it, I don't mind a wet writing pen unless it is way too wet. My 2000 is exactly what I want a fountain pen to be. Sometimes I think I would use it more if I'd gotten an EF, but I have plenty of Pilot or Platinum EF, F, and M nib pens for when I want something finer than my 2000.

I think some of these dealers are careless with their boxes. I once bought a knife on Amazon that was discounted quite a bit because there was no factory box for it. Well, when I got it it had the original factory box, so someone else who paid the full price must have gotten one in a generic box.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Following up. Thanks for all of the responses and advice. I did return the Lamy 2000. It was just too wet for my use. I want ink dry in 5 seconds, or it gets smeared all over the page. It was taking 20-30 seconds using Noodler's Midnight Blue, and this on absorbent cheap paper.

I bid $97 for another Lamy 2000 EF on an eBay auction and won. It arrived a dry writer and somewhat scratchy, but after some nib tine alignment, it is working just the way I like it. It is smoother than my Pilot VP fine, but not as smooth as the 2000 I returned. The ink flow is perfect for me.

In another thread, I said I had a Parker Duofold FP/ BPP set to sell. I sold them on eBay separately for enough to purchase a Pilot VP new and this used Lamy 2000 EF. I am happy today and all is well in my fountain pen world. Thanks again for the advice and opinions.

Pilot VP / f nib

Lamy Safari w/ef nib

Lamy 2000 w/ef nib

Parker 45 w/xf nib