Roi

DrCodfish

Pelikan Nation, hear me out:

I like hearing about the pens we love the most, the ones we want the most, and the ones we have been able to bring into the fold, er ... flock. Of course if money were no object our "What's your newest addition ..." thread would be the major discussion here. but as we all know cost is often a deciding factor with Pelikans.

This weeked I decided which pen would go to work with me to replace the Sheaffer No Nonsense which is in the pen stand on my desk. I keep a low spec FP at work (as well as the one I carry) thinking if it walks off it won't be a major catastrophy. But the NNS has the dssapointing habit of drying out a little too fast, and so I often find myself fiddling when I want to be writing. (I hear the stories of pens which are hard starters, skippers, etc. and that is just annoying!)

The pen that came to mnd almost immediately was a Pelikano I picked up this winter (Thank you Christof!). This little pen just works! No fanfare, no fabulous good looks, no drama; Just uncap and write. Dollar for dollar these little pens are leaders in the cost/return category in my flock. And, unless you take a second look you would not notice it as 'different' nestled among the ball ponts and roller balls. (I do keep it toward the back of the pack however).

Is there a particular pen which you find in your hand not so much for it's sublime looks but rather because you know it's gonna deliver the goods when you need it?

Edited by DrCodfish

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• DrCodfish

• risingsun

• canibanoglu

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Live in the land of the Pelikano....and don't have one...of course don't work any more so got no desk bandits.

I've heard much good about the Pelikanos from many respected posters.

:yikes: Could I have gotten a 200's nib dirt cheap????.....

We got to talk up the Pelikano.....match it up against the cheap Pilot pens.....can't have folks thiking only the Japanese can make a good cheap pen.

Are they available in the States?

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I only had one Pelikano, which I owned for about an hour before my girlfriend decided that it should be hers and I know that she uses that pen just as you describe. It runs out of ink fastest among all her pens (well maybe the pink VP runs out of ink faster but let's be honest that pen only takes a couple of drops of ink in the converter at best).

As for me, I have my trusty Safaris for just this stuff. I carry two with me currently and when I need to jot down something quickly they are the pens I choose.

I vote that you need to find a used all-black M200 from the 80s or 90s with the derby cap and upgrade to that for the at-work pen. Live sorta large... (No offense to the Pelikano, Doc)

Sun%20Hemmi2.jpg

I think the Twist is a good example of that. A $10-20 fountain pen that is dependable and durable. Nothing fancy to it. In terms of bang for the buck, it's up there. I think the Pelikano is another great example as you pointed out.

One of the things that drew me to Pelikan was a package of great looks and dependable writing without a huge price tag. I thought that much of their line-up punched well above their price point. Sadly, I think that has largely been erased with the cost increases over the years. Many old style M200's are still to be had at auction though for under $100 and I think those cannot be beat in terms of ROI.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan