Diamine Ink Question?! :)

enlvalencia

Hello, all!

I've recently been in touch with the Diamine distributor in my area about getting my hands on some more ink... And the more I look up the inks on the Diamine site (and read the reviews here), the more confused I get about what to buy -- because I want to buy them all!!! Alas, that is not in the budget... I've only got room for 4-5 (maybe 6 if I stretch it) of the smaller bottles at the moment.

So, I'd like to ask for your help/thoughts. I typically use a dark blue or blue-black ink for just about everything. Currently, I'm making my way through a bottle of Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher, but I'd like to change things up a bit...

I've reserved a bottle each of Diamine Denim and Regency Blue, and Red Dragon (for a more drastic change). My mom has recently gotten into FPs, as well (my fault) and will be buying a bottle of Bougainvillea ink that she is willing to share. So, what this means is I have room for 2-3 more inks in my budget.

I was considering Tchaikovsky (from the music collection), Cornflower or Aster (flower collection), and Blue Velvet (150th anniversary collection), but don't want to limit myself to just shades of blue.

I'd like something that isn't too light, and isn't too bright or shocking... But maybe something different. I'm not really into greens, but maybe you can change my mind... Other than that, I'm open. :)

So, if you can spare a minute to recommend some of your favorites to me, I'd really appreciate it. If you could also link me to color sample photos, reviews, or post pics here, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks very much for sharing your thoughts and your time. :)

Member of the postcard and letter exchanges -- please PM me if you're interested in corresponding :)

http://i.imgur.com/WXi8bhb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• enlvalencia

• tinkerteacher

• torstar

• Cyber6

Diamine Syrah is one of my favorite burgundy inks. I have it in a pen with a stub nib almost all the time. It looks amazing on creme colored paper, and I use it for a lot of my correspondence.

I really like Diamine Tyrian Purple, and always have it in a pen. It's the only Diamine ink I own and I like purples in general (so take of that what you will), though I spent quite a lot of time staring at Diamine swatches/swabs/reviews before ordering it.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Do you know about the Goulet Pens ink samples?

http://www.gouletpens.com/ink/c/11

This way you can try small amounts (about 2 fills IIRC) without a large commitment of cash. Also, they have a comparison tool. Start with an ink you know and check it against the realt hing, then use that for scaling the comparisons. Also, there are lots of reviews and comparisons here on the site. I am still looking the the "right" inks after at least 20 years...

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I am currently in the Philippines, and I believe shipping costs would be prohibitive if I were to order a bunch of ink samples. I will definitely be all over that when I get back to CA, though. :)

Member of the postcard and letter exchanges -- please PM me if you're interested in corresponding :)

I've done lots of reviews on various Diamine inks recently, and you will find them in the Ink Reviews section along with reviews done by other FPN members. So it's worth looking at those rather than just looking at the Diamine web-site swatches.

I think Tchaikovsky (Music Gift Set) is their best blue, and as it's now available as a 30ml refill bottle, I would consider buying that. You have to contact them separately to buy shades from the Music or Flowers Gift sets though. There are other good blues like Cornflower (Flowers Gift Set.) 150th anniversary Regency Blue and Blue Velvet are also very popular

Diamine have some unusual purpley/greyish shades too. Look at Amazing Amethyst, Handel & Vivaldi (Music Gift Set), Grape, Damson as well as Pansy and Iris (Flowers Gift set)

I haven't reviewed many greens yet but 150th anniversary Tropical Green and Beethoven (Music Gift set) are lovely.

I also love Schubert and Bach from the music gift set.

I have found all of them to have good flow and lubrication. I think that Diamine are darn good inks. (no affiliation :) )

Thanks very much for the feedback! I have been so overwhelmed by the wealth of available information, and I haven't really gotten a handle on which colors to start looking at reviews for, so I really appreciate your suggestions. :)

Hmm. I wasn't too sure about Oxblood at first, but I'll put it on the list of inks to look into. Thank you! :)

I don't sure, that you can get flower or music set items separately...

If you like blue, I could recommend Asa Blue or Florida Blue. Both are absolutely wonderful blues. I'm not a big blue fan, but Asa is touched my hearth. My all time favorite Imperial Purple. I can't consume enough from it.

Syrah, Oxblood, Red Dragon all are really worth while inks. Maybe if you extending your horizons and want some green Sherwood Green is a good choice. Or if you want to feel yourself like in Caribbean with beautiful greenish blues, try Aqua Lagoon or Steel Blue.

Hi,

+1 for Damson. As my inky array is heavily weighted with the Blue thru Blue-Black inks, I reckon the somewhat subtle Damson isn't such a huge leap into the warmer hues, but that's not to discourage you from wonderful inks such as Syrah.

I was thinking about a Turquoise, but I've not fully explored Diamine's array in that part of the colour wheel, so have no suggestion, (Sheaffer Skrip Turquoise), but...

We have an interesting softer ink, Misty Blue. When run somewhat pale it appears quite soft on the eye, yet it picks-up some 'snap' when darker, but doesn't get zippy.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hmm. I wasn't too sure about Oxblood at first, but I'll put it on the list of inks to look into. Thank you! :)

Of 10 Diamines purchased, it's my favourite for colour and flow.

Then again it hooked up perfectly with a top 12 pen (of dozens around here) so that makes it an excellent ink, right?

I'm a big fan do Diamine Midnight. It's a saturated dark blue, as opposed to a blue-black, which tend to be more muted.

I also have a bottle of Damson that I quite enjoy as a subtle change.

Sheen-o-rama : Steel Blue and Majestic Blue

Unusual and cool : Oxblood and Ancient Copper

Really nice ink colours : Autumn Oak, Rustic Brown, Damson, Grape, Syrah, Turquoise and a midnight blue one that I've forgotten the name of

One to be avoided : Maroon. It's awful.

Another vote for Oxblood, very cool colour, very versitile in what it can be used for, and almost perfect flow in just about every pen I've tried it in. Only downside is in getting back out of the pen.

If you've got a wide and wet nib, defintely check out Autumn Oak and Eau de Nil, two of the most beautiful shading inks of any ink maker.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens