Handmade Paper

Zdenek

Are you use this almost obsolete medium? Could you share your impression?

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zdenek

• kazoolaw

• FredRydr

• abstract49

OK, maybe I am the last Mohican, ... never mind.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Do you have a handmade paper (or do you make it yourself) that likes fp ink? Is it prohibitively expensive?

It's of some interest to me, although I would not have time to indulge myself often.

Zdenek,

I think that you are asking if any FPN members use handmade paper with fountain pens. If that is correct, I would like to know also.

I am sure the properties of handmade papers are greatly varied. My wife used to make some simple single sheet papers on a screen. When dry, their surface was too rough and the paper too soft for a fountain pen, or maybe any pen with a thin narrow tip. I've seen homemade papers that are very thick, and have other things in the paper (mica, flower petals, herbs) for the artistic effect.

I also would like to know where you can buy homemade paper.

There must be hobbyists who dry their homemade paper under pressure to create a smooth writable surface.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Of course, I do not made handmade paper with my own hands although I would like to. :) I think it is not a big problem to do HM paper for decorative purposes but to do writing HM paper is another league. Here in Europe there are several manufactures that still make such a paper (Fabriano, Amalfi, Losiny..). Yes, HM paper is not cheap but, on the other hand, you need not to be a millionaire to afford to use it on some occasions and purposes. The brand I sometimes use is a very good quality and FP friendly paper. I would like to place the web address here but I am not sure that it is allowed. So individually by mail if you are interested.

There are several hand-made papers which I enjoy, including the three which you have listed. I believe that whoever used to make the Meisterbutten papers for Mont Blanc also produced handmade papers. Here in the United States there is also Twin Rocker,, but I must confess that I have not saved up to sample their product: http://www.twinrocker.com/

I would be interested to know the brand paper which you are referring to in your post, particularly if you have a writing sample. Unfortunately, I have no photography skills to post a sample of my own.

gary

I have used Twinrocker hot press for metalpoint drawings (after the ground is placed on it.) I've also used it for watercolor.

In school I dabbled with hand making paper.

I would think to use an FP on it it would have to be heavily sized and hotpress.

There are several hand-made papers which I enjoy, including the three which you have listed. I believe that whoever used to make the Meisterbutten papers for Mont Blanc also produced handmade papers. Here in the United States there is also Twin Rocker,, but I must confess that I have not saved up to sample their product: http://www.twinrocker.com/

I would be interested to know the brand paper which you are referring to in your post, particularly if you have a writing sample. Unfortunately, I have no photography skills to post a sample of my own.

gary

The brand is Velke Losiny hand made paper. Particularly 120 g/m2.

As to the writing sample, I am not able to insert pictures to my messages about a year.

Montblanc paper: on an occassion I have got some samples in the local MB boutique, maybe ten years ago. That paper they marketed then was very very expensive.

Excellent and FP friendly paper is from Bohemia Paper. This is HM-like paper, i. e. it looks like HM paper and even has un-regular edges, but it is machine made. They declare it as HM. I like it very much.

Years ago an American retailer had a sample pack of Hahnemuhle paper which was also extremely nice paper.

I have a sense that there are more European sources than American.

gary

Why is HM paper so expensive? See the video of the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP1H2PmvhEA

Edited by Zdenek