Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst - Ink Of The Year 2015

phoenixfeder

Hello dear inkophiles,

Last week I received an order with a few new inks. Pelikan Edelstein Amethyst was one of them, and when I saw there was no review yet, I decided to scribble a quick one. This is my first review here on fpn, so advice for improvement is welcome!

I have to say, I'm impressed with this ink! I feared it would be dry and watery like the Edelstein Mandarin or too pink/blue or dark for my liking - but nope, it's a nice violet color with some pinkish components in it and dark enough for me to be used at work. The color is rich, not watery, nicely saturated without the smearing of a highly saturated ink.

I decided to fill my very dry writing Lamy Al-Star with the 1.1 mm stub nib. I did have probs with this pen before when using dry inks like de Atramentis Perlviolett (pearl violet), so it seems to be a good pen to check the flow and lubrication of an ink. Edelstein Amethyst showed a good flow and nice lubrication!

The dry time is another plus for me: very quick! Even with the 1.1mm stub nib the ink dried almost instantly. Please note that I did not use this ink in any other pens so far, just the Lamy 1.1 mm. So there might be different drying times in other pens!

Another property I tested was if this ink was waterproof. I let the ink dry for a few seconds and then put it under running water for about 10 seconds. Some ink got washed off as expected but there is enough ink left on the page to be perfectly readable. Will add pictures later.

When I compared this ink to some of my other purple/violet inks I found Edelstein Amethyst to be closest to Diamine Amazing Amethyst but it does not have the powdery component of Diamine Amazing Amethyst. Edelstein Amethyst has more red in it than Pelikan 4001 violet. Unfortunately I cannot compare it to Montblanc Lavender Purple as I don't own that ink. (sorry, Albinoni!)

Summary:

good flow and lubrication, nice color (not too pink or blue), some shading, no smearing, quick drying time, no bleedthrough, minor to no showthrough.

Cheers for now

phoenixfeder

Pictures:

http://http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/liriell1/Pelikan%20Amethyst/uebersicht_zpsjzqbgvx1.jpg

http://http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/liriell1/Pelikan%20Amethyst/color_zpsxyzixdx1.jpg

http://http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/liriell1/Pelikan%20Amethyst/vergleich_zpshgt2lb2b.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lapis

• phoenixfeder

• ENewton

• Jan2016

This is great, thank you. I like purple inks.

Noodler's Konrad Acrylics (normal+Da Luz custom flex) ~ Lamy AL-Stars/Vista F/M/1.1 ~ Handmade Barry Roberts Dayacom M ~ Waterman 32 1/2, F semi-flex nib ~ Conklin crescent, EF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen EEF super-flex ~ Aikin Lambert dip pen semi-flex M ~ Jinhao X450s ~ Pilot Custom Heritage 912 Posting Nib ~ Sailor 1911 Profit 21k Rhodium F. Favourite inks: Iroshizuku blends, Noodler's CMYK blends.

Great review! Thanks

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Thanks for the review - now I see that I must get not only the Amethyst but the deAt PerlViolette...

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Thanks for the review - now I see that I must get not only the Amethyst but the deAt PerlViolette...

Oops, sorry ... :rolleyes: I love the Perlviolett, but it's an dryish ink, just FYI.

Interesting not-too vivid violet colour, and praise worth drying time. Kinda of a darker version of Diamine Damson and a nice addition to the Edelstein inks, which have so far have been a bit of disappointment, given the price bracket that Pelikan put them in.

But, a straight-up purple ink without shading is not for me.

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Thanks for the nice review. I was looking forward to this ink -- as a Pelikan Ink of the Year -- having arrived around the first of March as usual. Now time to compare a lot of similar colours here.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for your comments!

I can't edit the original post anymore so I'll just add the next part:

Water test:

As promised here are the water tests I did. The ink is not waterproof as such (as I stated above) but it does resist water well enough to be legible even after a 20 minute soak. The pink components in the ink seem to get washed away and the darker dyes stay on the page. There was no visible difference between the 5 and 20 minute soak - just the paper (again cheap copy paper) started to dissolve slooowly after 20 minutes so I skipped the 30 minutes soak.

You can see the pink dye being washed away in the water drop test - kinda pretty :)

[/url]">http://http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/liriell1/Wassertest_zpssqbecm5i.jpg

Amethyst on a different paper:

Cheap copy paper is not the best way to find out about the shading properties of an ink so I used some smoother paper to find out how much shading there actually is. To sum it up: there is some shading with this ink ... but only some. Not even close to the master of shading Noodler's Apache Sunset or Caran d'Ache Saffron (I still can't believe it's discontinued!). But then Amethyst also much darker. Guess I have to fill up one of the flex pens I have to see if there is more shading with a flex nib.

The other thing I noticed with the smoother paper is that the drying time of the ink is a bit longer. Not much but nevertheless noticable. I'd say drying time was about 3 seconds. The smear at 5 seconds (and at 3 seconds the tiny bit on the bottom) was mainly due to sweaty fingers. :blush: No smearing with dry fingers!

Did a quick mini water test on the smoother paper - one of the drops escaped aaargh! :angry: Bad droplet!

[/url]">http://http://s1295.photobucket.com/user/liriell1/media/smoother%20paper_zpsk3pkq0lb.jpg.html'>http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/liriell1/smoother%20paper_zpsk3pkq0lb.jpg

I'm so excited for this ink to arrive now :))) It's in the mail... but from Germany. So, you know. It'll take time. Thank you for the review!

Looking for Japanese and French language pen pals!

Snail Mail Exchange Partipant. Letter Writer Alliance member.

Thank you for your review! I was looking for this review. Thought would buy this ink, but its not the purple range what I looking for.

Very nice.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thank you for this review! I have been anticipating this ink greatly. I am impatient to see it arrive in the US!

Thank you for sharing your findings with this ink, it is greatly appreciated! :)

Tessy Moon

My thoughts are filled with beautiful words for the King, and I will use my voice as a writer would use pen and ink. Psalm 45:1

Stupid question, but will this ink only be available for this year?

Wel, the other "ink of the years" were available for about a year. I missed out on the Amber which pains me a bit as it would probably look great in my Pelikan M200 cognac. My observation is that you can get the ink for a year and then Pelikan stops producing it, but for a while you can still get what's left in stock at the retailers.

Wel, the other "ink of the years" were available for about a year. I missed out on the Amber which pains me a bit as it would probably look great in my Pelikan M200 cognac. My observation is that you can get the ink for a year and then Pelikan stops producing it, but for a while you can still get what's left in stock at the retailers.

Yes, exactly. In other words, each Edelstein Ink of the Year is only manufactured once a year (since 2012) and issued around the first of March. After they're all sold out, it's game over and you can only try out your luck on eBay, Amazon or here on board etc.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)