New Sheaffer - Delighted!

da vinci

I have to say that I am not usually a fan of vintage pens. I dont want to write with flex nibs.

I also have rather a penchant for MBs, specifally the 144, 145, Classique variant.

However I do like Sheaffers inlaid and conical nibs. I like that they are usually nails, with a precise writing line.

I picked up a beautiful gold Sheaffer recently.

Not in the best shape, but still pretty good..

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpspki86gtq.jpg

What really struck me however was the seemingly perfect dimensions of this pen, and the superb quality.

Here are a few comparison shots with an MB Classique 90th Anniversary...

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image.jpg1_zpsmfs0qzws.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af344/996nick2009/Fountain%20Pens/image.jpg5_zps24zzxpj5.jpg

Anyone got a suggestion on the model..maybe a Statesman?

Edited by da vinci

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• da vinci

• mariom

• Happy Harry

• graystranger

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a Lifetime Triumph Masterpiece, which i believe should be solid 14k gold. Can you tell if th pen is plated or solid 14k?

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Looks like a Lifetime Triumph Masterpiece, which i believe should be solid 14k gold. Can you tell if th pen is plated or solid 14k?

Thanks mariom. It is stamped 14k on the barrel, and I think it is solid. Its not clear from the picture but it is a lever fill if that helps?

Edited by da vinci

Well, in that case I'd say it's definitely a Lifetime Triumph Masterpiece, from the 30s I believe. Lovely pen, and a great find.

Must be a fairly hefty pen. Have you tried inking it yet?

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

I have two vintage Sheaffer pens and they write wonderfully. One is a desk pen and one a 1965 Lifetime pen. Both have 14k nibs. I have just sent off a second desk pen to be restored. It has an engraved name with 1957 on the plate. Both are Snorkel pens.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

The Masterpiece should also be marked as 14ct on the clip and cap as well as the barrel. Anyway looks like the "real deal" and a late '40's/early '50's pen, if marked 14 ct on all the bits start thinking value near the 4 figures.

BTW as these are over a plastic they aren't that heavy nor actually contain as much gold as some would think. In a lot of cases the price of gold heavily influences value ( meltdown value) as most who know value at minimum at melt value.

The Masterpiece should also be marked as 14ct on the clip and cap as well as the barrel. Anyway looks like the "real deal" and a late '40's/early '50's pen, if marked 14 ct on all the bits start thinking value near the 4 figures.

BTW as these are over a plastic they aren't that heavy nor actually contain as much gold as some would think. In a lot of cases the price of gold heavily influences value ( meltdown value) as most who know value at minimum at melt value.

Thanks HH I will check out the clip and cap for stamps.