Sailor — Pen And Message Cigar

jasonchickerson

Now guys, don't laugh :lticaptd: but I've had a good go at mixing up this glorious, glorious ink.

The mix, called New Year's Day Gray goes down really well, splits beautifully when washed over and hasn't clogged up my TWSBI 540 in the month it's been hanging around inside it. :)

I know it's not really feasible or economical otherwise, but for those of you who happen to have these or similar inks in your equivalent "Drawer of Shame", here's my recipe:

2 parts Waterman's Inspired Blue

2 parts Diamine Macassar

2 parts R&K Helianthus

1 part Diamine Ancient Copper

1 part Noodler's Zhivago

1 part Diamine Emerald

9 parts Private Reserve Gray Flannel.

Wow.

Edited by fireant

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jasonchickerson

• fireant

• tinkerteacher

• Calabria

Wow, that looks close. Does it go down green? Does it sheen? And it's hard to judge from the smallish wash, but it looks more green and less of that sky blue? Perhaps one part Souten or or R&K Blu Mare?

I don't have half those inks, but that took some investment. What fun. Thanks.

Sadly no sheen from my mix and you're right perhaps a soupçon of blue may just perfect it . . . :) :)

Sadly no sheen from my mix and you're right perhaps a soupçon of blue may just perfect it . . . :) :)

If your going to be using the ink on a paper or setting were you can't have or don't want sheen, this looks like an amazing option. That is freakishly close for a mix. I imagine if you had a stupidly large stock of exotic Sailor inks you could probably replicate Cigar exactly, but then you might as well just buy it I suppose. :) Edited by alarickc

http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af283/Runnin_Ute/fpn_1424623518__super_pinks-bottle%20resized_zps9ihtoixe.png

I LOVE Sailor inks and respect their mixes probably more than anyone else's. Probably.

If I had a stupidly large stock of Sailor inks, I'd share them with you guys and no doubt not bother mixing a thing.

I only spend a lot of time mixing inks I can't get hold of or are no longer made.

As Cyber6 knows, we had a good go at Mont Blanc's Racing Green, came close too but before chasing our tails for too long we decided that for us there were other better similar greens out there (sorry). :blush:

I've had a good go a Blue Merle but not gotten that close with something I can replicate. :(

well I'm not fairly sure if this is the same mix I have in mind but

4 parts Tokiwa-Matsu

1 part J. Herbin Rouge Hematite

I havent seen the actual chroma of Cigar to know... cause... I dont have the means to get the inks here :<

Please post results if you have them. That is certainly a more obtainable mix than Tas' spot on attempt. Again, I'm afraid the wash will miss the cerulean component.

Amazing job Tas. You nailed the colour, just missing the sheen. Where did Sailor get that brown sheen from?

What other inks, Sailor or otherwise, have a brown sheen?

Semper Faciens, Semper Discens

Amazing job Tas. You nailed the colour, just missing the sheen. Where did Sailor get that brown sheen from?

What other inks, Sailor or otherwise, have a brown sheen?

The sheen is actually red. The ink is green. Red + Green = Grey/Brown

Edit to add: Unfortunately, mixes two sheeny inks does not usually create a sheeny mix. In my experience.

Edited by jasonchickerson

the brown tone of this sailor cigar ink is better than pilot yama-guri. very nice.

-rudy-

The sheen is actually red. The ink is green. Red + Green = Grey/Brown

Edit to add: Unfortunately, mixes two sheeny inks does not usually create a sheeny mix. In my experience.

Exactly, the real sheen is red, while the precieved sheen is brown due to the optical effects of green+red, right? The trick is in getting just the right mix to achieve that optical effect. So ... you'd want to mix up a dark, shady green-brown (with the emphasis on the green) ink with heavy red sheen?

Algest, great job. I think you may be right, the best base ink might be Tokiwa-Matsu.

Edited by tinkerteacher

I'm afraid I didnt get it... but I had to over saturate the ink with Tokiwa-Matsu

Not quite, but that's a very nice grey. Thanks for posting.

Edited by jasonchickerson

Exactly, the real sheen is red, while the precieved sheen is brown due to the optical effects of green+red, right? The trick is in getting just the right mix to achieve that optical effect. So ... you'd want to mix up a dark, shady green-brown (with the emphasis on the green) ink with heavy red sheen?

Yes, which may be impossible. The sheen of Cigar is unlike any I've seen in person or in photos. It is not reflective like that of Tokiwa-matsu, which has the same color sheen, but satiny. Like the difference between glossy and matte photo papers, both reflective but the matte sheen is diffuse. This changes the perceived color of the ink.

Well, I attempted to buy a few bottles from through White Rabbit Express, but it turns out this ink is out of stock. Hopefully, it will return soon. When it does, if there are any in the US who'd like a bottle passed along at cost plus shipping, I'm willing to get a three or four extra bottles.

If they ever restock I would love to get one or two bottles. I'd sell a kidney for that ink.

FYI: Ladies and Gentlemen, start your engines!

I just heard from someone in Japan, a gentleman that orders inks etc. He said that Cigar will be available end of next week.

This PSA brought to you by cranky hamsters everywhere.

Edited by webgeckos

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_starting_blocks.jpg

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/laughing-smiley-face.gif

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

http://www.taskyprianou.com/me_starting_blocks.jpg

Do you have any clue how painful it is to snort coffee out of both nostrils? I'm still laughing.

I'm sure it's possible. However, I imagine that the point of offering these little corner shops bespoke inks is a kind of marketing. It gets the shop excited about Sailor ink, which sells more Sailor ink. But what do I know.

After a few back and forth emails with some very friendly people at Sailor via Google translate and their far better English than my quite bad, non existent Japanese, the first answer is this:

Foreigners and foreign stores can not commissioned Sailor custom inks.

Only very carefully vetted Japanese stores can commission inks from Sailor, with no extra charge for the customisation.

There is nothing stopping foreigners from asking Japanese stores to commission custom inks from Sailor.

The second answer is this:

Sailor is nearing finishing the brewing of Pen & Message's next order of Cigar ink, but it won't be released till the 'Ink Master' gives it his stamp of approval.

Cigar is apparently a very complicated and time intensive ink to make, involving several processes over a number of months.

... or at least that's what I think they said.

Edited by tinkerteacher