Parker 45?

SabrinaLC

I have a P-51 pen & pencil set that was given to me as a prize for good grades in grammar school. Does anyone know what they cost back then?

Yes, please. Do tell us what did it cost back then. And when was it that you were in grammer school?

Khan M. Ilyas

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• OcalaFlGuy

• Charles Rice

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What about this ordinary black lustraloy cap 51 that sold for the little price of $225.

These are prices that have no relevance to the actual market pricses in a given locality / region or country. They are jacking the prices just for the "original card board shipping boxes".

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111625779448

While it is "just" Black, that pen is probably NOS, never has seen ink.

The usual price on auction would probably be around 150-175 for it. I suspect the seller would take 190-200 if you asked.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Yes, please. Do tell us what did it cost back then. And when was it that you were in grammer school?

I don't remember exactly what I paid for a new P51 way back when (late 60s), but I'm sure it was less than $20.00

Edited by Charles Rice

If you get a pen for a really good price are you taking advantage of the seller or if the seller gets a really good price is he taking advantage of the buyer? Who cares? One buys a pen or one buys a pen in a particular color if it's wanted bad enough to outbid everyone else. This argument is about a lot of 'what ifs." It's pointless. Mitto, the pen you show is a BIN. Even though its stickered, no one has bought it yet. I suspect it will sell for less. If it sells, someone wanted it enough to pay for it. It's their money, it's a free market.

My DIL said something recently that I thought was profound. She said some people who worry about what other people do should perhaps worry about why they worry so much about what other people do.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

While it is "just" Black, that pen is probably NOS, never has seen ink.

The usual price on auction would probably be around 150-175 for it. I suspect the seller would take 190-200 if you asked.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Bruce , this has not seen ink and I bought it just a few weeks ago for $35. It is NOS. Sorry for the low quality night time snaps.

Khan M. Ilyas

If you get a pen for a really good price are you taking advantage of the seller or if the seller gets a really good price is he taking advantage of the buyer? Who cares? One buys a pen or one buys a pen in a particular color if it's wanted bad enough to outbid everyone else. This argument is about a lot of 'what ifs." It's pointless. Mitto, the pen you show is a BIN. Even though its stickered, no one has bought it yet. I suspect it will sell for less. If it sells, someone wanted it enough to pay for it. It's their money, it's a free market.

My DIL said something recently that I thought was profound. She said some people who worry about what other people do should perhaps worry about why they worry so much about what other people do.

ANM , read this and you will come to know what kind of unethical advantage I am talking about.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/286979-how-much-is-this-vintage-parker-45-worth/

Khan M. Ilyas

Bruce , this has not seen ink and I bought it just a few weeks ago for $35. It is NOS. Sorry for the low quality night time snaps.

Mitto, great find, but in no way the going price for a NOS "51" on US EBay or pen shows. Yours is an exception, not the rule. Here we talk about the usual price, for which anybody can get a pen if he/she is willing to wait and follow auctions for +- fortnight .

Here we talk about the usual price, for which anybody can get a pen if he/she is willing to wait and follow auctions for +- fortnight .

Willing to wait? That's the problem. No one here seems willing to wait. If they see what they think they want on eBay, they gotta bid on it right away. To my way of thinking, willing to wait means searching the wild. Ok, it's going to take a lot longer, but it DOES pay off as my recent additions of a 1928 Duofold, 1937 Conklin, Parker 45, and 1950 Snorkel prove. They are all in near perfect shape, and the combined price was - - well, you don't want to hear.

The really good deals are out there if you are really/seriously willing to wait.

Edited by Charles Rice

Willing to wait? That's the problem. No one here seems willing to wait. If they see what they think they want on eBay, they gotta bid on it right away. To my way of thinking, willing to wait means searching the wild. Ok, it's going to take a lot longer, but it DOES pay off as my recent additions of a 1928 Duofold, 1937 Conklin, Parker 45, and 1950 Snorkel prove. They are all in near perfect shape, and the combined price was - - well, you don't want to hear.

The really good deals are out there if you are really/seriously willing to wait.

Yep. And there are times when something just seems to slip by other people's view. I've gotten some really nice buys lately by simply being the only one interested in bidding. My $19 P-51 was one of those. I just got an old orange Duofold Jr for $15 shipped - same deal. Of course, these help make up for those items that I bought and paid too much for. I have a Conway Stewart in a bag, and a barrel that snapped in half, where a perfectly good $20 should be.

I just got an old orange Duofold Jr for $15 shipped

Funny you should mention the Duofold Jr. The local antique mall has one for $350.00. I'd like to know the drugs they use.

ANM , read this and you will come to know what kind of unethical advantage I am talking about.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/286979-how-much-is-this-vintage-parker-45-worth/

I already guessed what you're talking about. Have you never overspent on something? That person already felt "dumb and depressed" Bruce and others were trying to make him feel better. He already knows he overspent. Why do you want to keep harping on it and rubbing it in?

Edited by ANM

I already guessed what you're talking about. Have you never overspent on something? That person already felt "dumb and depressed" Bruce and others were trying to make him feel better. He already knows he overspent. Why do you want to keep harping on it and rubbing it in?

I've overspent, I've underspent. It evens out. I just never, ever, ever want to be the seller in an overspent situation.

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

I was taught if you can't say anything nice, keep your piehole shut. I don't all the time, but I try.

I think I know a fair amount about 45's and totally honestly, it's hard to determine how much was overpaid if any.

There are the cachet points with the pen, he also got personal service and it can be assumed the pen, being from a pen person was in A1 shape. There was a case tossed in, how nice not mentioned. One would also assume he has some sort of warranty. These are all legitimate added values.

There are simply too many variables to Easily quantify any possible overpayment.

Especially from people who don't know Jack about 45s and/or want to make their One Certain personal pricing experience the benchmark for the rest of the planet.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Sorry bruce , sorry ANM and all. I really really was in great distress on the ovecharging and more so by the method adopted by the seller for that. Anyhow , I understamd now it happens with everyone of us. We overspend and we underspend. You were all great to let me understand the situation in a better way. You are quite right. But I had my own strong feelings.

Khan M. Ilyas

Well, that was quite negligent of me.... I finished 6th grade in 1951. The pen is dated 1950.

I tried to edit the original post, but the Edit button did not display.

Original post:

"I have a P-51 pen & pencil set that was given to me as a prize for good grades in grammar school. Does anyone know what they cost back then?"

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Vac 51's started at $12.50.

I would assume Aeros to have started in that general area also. $12.50-15

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

According to this site:

http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1951

12.50 in 1951 dollars equals $117.40 in 2015 dollars.

According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_Indexed_Monthly_Earnings

Average medium income in 1951 was $2800. That works out to $244/ month. I think it would be difficult for the average wage earner to be able to afford a P 51 back then. General purpose credit cards were not introduced until around 1966.

Edited by ANM

According to this site:

http://www.dollartimes.com/inflation/inflation.php?amount=1&year=1951

12.50 in 1951 dollars equals $117.40 in 2015 dollars.

According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Average_Indexed_Monthly_Earnings

Average medium income in 1951 was $2800. That works out to $244/ month. I think it would be difficult for the average wage earner to be able to afford a P 51 back then. General purpose credit cards were not introduced until around 1966.

I calculated it and it gave me $109.41 dollars. Wow-ee! I've seen them go for the same price in many different sites in today's economy. Intriguing.

Edited by Fountain-head

I go by the candy bar factor.

A candy bar that cost five cents in 1951 costs a buck now,

So a $12.50 pen would be $250.00

I go by the candy bar factor.

A candy bar that cost five cents in 1951 costs a buck now,

So a $12.50 pen would be $250.00

Which sounds about right for a minty fresh Parker, when you look at it all in hindsight, because they usually go for that price.