• OcalaFlGuy

• Charles Rice

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yep. Might have a 14K nib as well.

Edited by rochester21

Thanks for a quick answer :)

I think it's a gold nip but I'm not sure. What would you say it is worth?

*Probably* a 14k nib. I'd guess a Fine.

For a Black 45, Rolled Gold, yeah, I'd say $50 is about right.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl-but that's excluding of course, Matador Red pen color and B 14k nib.

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Me? Under $50.00 - by how much I don't want to start a fight.

Do we buy pens or colors? Why didnt you say $160 had the color been so and so...

Khan M. Ilyas

People who are knowledgeable on pens Certainly May buy a particular color and be more than willing to pay Quite the premium to get that particular color.

You can get a really nice Gray or Black P-51 for $100. If you'll go to Dr. I's site, you'll see Bunches of the same exact pen,just in Plum, go for $350. OVER 3x.

[EDIT] 5 days left mind you, already over $300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLUM-PARKER-51-PEN-SET-NEVER-INKED-W-STICKERS-AND-ORIGINAL-SHIPPING-BOX-/171725979158

As always, there will be those who stare face to face with reality and say it's isn't so. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Well, in that case I must be knowing the difference and willing to pay , with my free will and choice , three to four times extra price for a pen because of its color. Not that someone takes unethical , unlawfull advantage of my inexperience or rather ignorance and tells me it is merely "double the price of other 51s". One of us is certainly missing the point.

The Plum may command $350 but for a few who are willing to pay whatever price for a particular color not for the majority of good pen seekers. Color may not make any difference for them.

For your information I bought my Plum for $40.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I am looking for someone now. Prices have gone up in the past few months. You can get $50 51s but they are the rattier ones.

And I mean Aeros. Yes, you can get a Vac for less than $50 but you then should include the rediaphragm.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Yes , mine is Aero. Not Vac. A plum and not a burgudy. And it is in a very good rather excellent condition not "the rattier one".

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I've been pretty fortunate. I got a nice '48 P-51 vac in gray, and I mean nice and clean, for $19.50 just a few months back. All I did was polish it and ink it up. I've got a $30 rat P-51 vac waiting to be revived.

My teal 51 aero originally cost me $60 as a pen/pencil set. One bad repair that was outsourced for $30 inspired me to learn to do my own work, and a $15 collector later, it's a wonderful pen.

I got my 1949 P51 forest green for only $3.50 back in 1991. The ones I got within last three months were for $25-35. The maximum I paid for a P51 is $40.

Khan M. Ilyas

People who are knowledgeable on pens Certainly May buy a particular color and be more than willing to pay Quite the premium to get that particular color.

You can get a really nice Gray or Black P-51 for $100. If you'll go to Dr. I's site, you'll see Bunches of the same exact pen,just in Plum, go for $350. OVER 3x.

[EDIT] 5 days left mind you, already over $300.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLUM-PARKER-51-PEN-SET-NEVER-INKED-W-STICKERS-AND-ORIGINAL-SHIPPING-BOX-/171725979158

As always, there will be those who stare face to face with reality and say it's isn't so. :rolleyes:

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Seller says it marked "Made in USA" with the number "9".

What about this ordinary black lustraloy cap 51 that sold for the little price of $225.

These are prices that have no relevance to the actual market pricses in a given locality / region or country. They are jacking the prices just for the "original card board shipping boxes".

http://m.ebay.com/itm/111625779448

Khan M. Ilyas

Goodness, folks really can be lucky. This has reminded me that the only colour 51 I now need to buy is a Forest Green because it was a favourite childhood pen and I lost it about 50 years ago.

Last summer I paid $46 for a P51 Special set (fp/mp) 1953 aero for $46. Both working examples. No special color (black)

Super nice example? Nice enough for me.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I had 5 at one point. I sold an Aero because it had a broad nib (for a cheap price too), and I gave away a Vac that had a slight flow issue (would have kept it otherwise). I have a 51 demi that has a crack in the hood. If I had another hood that matched the barrel (teal) I would give this one away too (as it was given to me). That leaves me with two Aeros, both of which I would gladly give up for a single example of my choice (and I am not talking about 1st year pens or rare colours either) but the market for such things tends to bring out the worst in people on eBay (my only available market).

For a while I was looking at a Demi in Cedar Blue with a Sterling cap. Missed one that went for $70, never seen another. That would have done my nicely. I'm not a collector. One, possibly two examples at most would more than satisfy me for any pen.

At the moment I can feel my attention being pulled toward modern pens, especially Japanese pens, as then I won't have to deal with some of the daftness that abounds in the vintage pen world.

I have a P-51 pen & pencil set that was given to me as a prize for good grades in grammar school. Does anyone know what they cost back then?

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost