• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• jar

• The Good Captain

• Dronak

I almost always post, the only exception being when I'm just jotting something down quickly and don't want to take the time to post the cap. Writing unposted tends to leave me feeling as though the pen is insubstantial.

I even do this with really long or heavy pens like an Airmail 71JT or Jinhao 159. I suspect it's a combination of largish hands (so the pen rests relatively far back from the nib) and holding them closer to perpendicular to the page than is perhaps common (so there's less of a cantilever effect).

Yes I post.

Standard and medium-large pens at least vintage have great balance posted. Un-posted I find they have no balance and are too small.

Some folks refuse to post for religious reasons....that's ok.....it's those who refuse to post and then have the nerve to complain a standard sized pen is too small. :gaah: :wallbash:

Large pen don't have good balance....in they are Large to start with, with out the cap. Some times I will post a Large pen, but then the weight is taken up by resting in the pit of the thumb.

Yep, using the 'forefinger up' way of grasping a fountain pen I often find a Large pen to be too small un-posted. :lticaptd:

Forefinger up, with a perfectly balanced posted Geha 725, with a semi-flex F nib and rolled gold trim.

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm300/BoBoOlson/SAM_0418.jpg

And no, you don't always get posting mars on a pen...if worried wax the pen....no mars.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I generally do post my pens.

However, there are exceptions.

These primarily have to do with weight and balance.

• Weight. If the total weight of the pen becomes too heavy posted, I will not post it.
  • Balance. If the pen becomes tail heavy, I will not post it.

The other exception is the pen itself, where the pen is not designed to be posted. Such as: Lamy joy, TWSBI 530, and an un-known 'brand-X' pen that I have.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I tend not to post.

I trained myself not to because I was concerned about marring the finish on my vintage pens.

Out of fear of of losing or damaging my vintage pens, most of my 'users' nowadays are modern pens, but the habit of not posting has carried over.

I don't know if it is just because I got used to not posting, or whether it is a real thing, but posted pens don't feel right in my hand now.

I do however make exceptions in the case of smaller or lighter pens.

I have a couple of Pilot Varsities, and they are so light that they feel like they are going to fall out of my hand if I don't post them.

I usually tend to deliberately buy larger pens so that they will be big and heavy enough to be comfortable unposted.

Edited by Jamesbeat

Most always, but depends on the size of pen.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

Hmm, has this come up before perhaps? ;)

If a pen can be posted, I post it, unless perhaps I'm just going to write down something really short, like a phone number, and then cap it again.

If it can't be posted securely, or if it throws the balance too far off for me, I probably won't use it much at all, and wouldn't have bought it if I'd realized. Obvious exception, Pilot Vanishing Point.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Most of the time I do. I think the only exception is my M1000, Homo Sapiens and M800.

Edited by Suji

Pelikan 140 EF | Pelikan 140 OBB | Pelikan M205 0.4mm stub | Pilot Custom Heritage 912 PO | Pilot Metropolitan M | TWSBI 580 EF | Waterman 52 1/2v

Normally, I do not post my caps. I set them down upright on the side of my writing surface. If I MUST (like when up and about), I will reach for my lightest pens, such as my Nemosine Singular or Dollar 717i. My other pens are way to top-heavy to post comfortably in my hands.

fpn_1434432647__fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pinks-bottle_200x159.jpg

Check out my blog at Inks and Pens

Mostly no, the ones that get posted the most? Parker 51 Special and my Parker 45's. The 45's for aesthetic purposes (I love the look) and the 51 for functional reasons. Line up the clip with that hooded nib helps keep the sweet spot where it should be. Occasionally I will post one of the others, but I have a couple I just don't like the way they post.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Not even a Kaweco Sport, unless I'm writing a long letter with it.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

Depends on the pen and where I'm writing.

Kaweco Ice Sport, Lilliput, and Twsbi Mini, always.

Edison Collier, Pilot Custom 823 and 743, Twisbi Vac 700, never.

Other than those, usually yes, but sometimes not.

If I were using an expensive pen that had a delicate finish, then I wouldn't. However, all of my pens are relatively inexpensive and made of durable materials, so I post.

Edited by minaa

Looking for Japanese and French language pen pals!

Snail Mail Exchange Partipant. Letter Writer Alliance member.

No. For the pens I own, I find posting the cap uncomfortably heavy. I probably would for a small pen like a Kaweco Sport or Lilliput.

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!