Waterman Edson Damaged Blue Barrel

euskara

Looking to replace the blue barrel on my Edson, does anyone know if the rollerball version is the same size and will fit the nib+converter?

Barring that anyone know anybody witha barrel for sale? Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• dwwaddell

• euskara

• wspohn

Although I am not 100% but assuming it will be similar to other Waterman models, the RB's barrel will have a sleeve liner that holds and positions the refill in precisely the correct position for tip/point protrusion.

Have you asked Waterman the cost of a replacement.

Although I am not 100% but assuming it will be similar to other Waterman models, the RB's barrel will have a sleeve liner that holds and positions the refill in precisely the correct position for tip/point protrusion.

Have you asked Waterman the cost of a replacement.

$600 +

Waterman Man 200 models, my favorite all around pen have a barrel that is exchangeable between rollerball/fountain pen

Edited by euskara

OK, you have a few options,

1. Place an add in the FPN Classifieds.

2. Sell the complete pen 'as is' and buy a new one. Currently £500 ($750) from a well known net seller. Or currently 2 or 3 on ebay at £400 ($600). You may get $200+ for yours if the cap and section are good.

3. Repair and repaint the damaged barrel.

There are probably more options but it's late and I am tired.

Edited by Force

$600 +

Waterman Man 200 models, my favorite all around pen have a barrel that is exchangeable between rollerball/fountain pen

As do the Gentleman. It doesn't make sense to tool up for multiple barrels is you don't need to.

Sorry I can't help on the Edson; all I won are FPs.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

600 USD on a BARREL?????

Are you sure they did not misunderstand you and quoted a nib and section???

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 3 years later...

Several years ago, I dropped my Edson and it landed right on the tip of the barrel causing a crack about an inch long. At the time, I asked Waterman if I could buy a replacement barrel. They told me, "No, I must return the whole pen by carrier," and quoted me $500 for the replacement. I was incredulous and never did return it. The crack has now propagated down the other side of the barrel. I really like the pen and the way it writes but I have never used it since getting this unbelievable quote.

Waterman are well known for their spare parts pricing.

Something that I have often thought about...refinishing an Edson barrel. Drill a hole at the end of each crack to stop them propagating. Fill the holes with epoxy. Rough up the surface and spray paint. OK the section is blue, but its dark so a nice gloss black barrel might look OK. You have nowt to lose.

Yes, I thought something similar but, in addition to the epoxy, put a drop of thin super glue on the end and allow it to enter the crack by capillary action. Then use a diluted black cellulose paint but dipping instead of spraying as it has a metal ring where the screw thread is.

I put a drop of very thin super glue (Loctite Ultra Liquid Control) on the end where it had been dropped and let it pass down the cracks with capillary action. Then, for a little more insurance, ran a bead of super glue down each crack and left it for a couple of hours. I then cleaned off the excess, polished the barrel with 600 then 1500 (with soapy water) and finally with plastic polish. Now, I know that it is still cracked and, if I look hard enough, I can still see it but at the moment it's not half bad. I think if I am careful with it, it might just last.

I have an Edson Rollerball and an Edson Fountain Pen and I can tell you that the Rollerball body will not accept a Waterman Converter or a Waterman Long International Cartridge.

The Edson FP section screws into the Rollerball body fine and the caps appear to be identical between the two. I have found one converter that fits the Edson Rollerball body, it came with a Baoer 79 (a Chinese Montblanc Starwalker knockoff). Basically, the Rollerball body has a ridge that prevents the VAST majority of converters from fitting.

600 USD on a BARREL?????

Are you sure they did not misunderstand you and quoted a nib and section???

D.ick

That is the correct quote. I had replaced my Edson barrel after I damaged it and the repair quote was similar.