Maruzen And Mitsukoshi Pen Fairs In Tokyo

Tinjapan

Maruzen Nihombashi Fountain Pens of the World Fair and Mtsukoshi Nihombashi 100th Anniversary Pen Fair.

Neither show seemed to have the same energy and activity of the events I have attended in the recent past. I suspect that this is due to my reduced enthusiasm this time around. There were several large ticket pens I saved for but just before the first of these shows, other, more important demands presented themselves and laid claim to the largest portion of my pen fund. Additionally, I was to busy to prepare my vintage pens that I was hoping to have the visiting pen smiths adjust the nibs of. Last year I was able to an appointment for the pen clinic on two different days and got four vintage pens serviced. Indeed, if I had not promised some friends to pick up this year's LE ink for, I very well may not have even gone. If my review of these two events seem subdued, you know the reasons why.

Maruzen's event ran from the 4th to the 10th of this month ( March for future readers) and I was able to attend the first and third days of this event. On the first floor, near the escalator going to the pen department in the basement was the usual "lucky bags". Good deals to be sure but I had only mild interest in the pens in the less expensive bags and the other pen was well beyond my ability to pay for even if I was interested. Nearby Ohashido occupied the same spot as last year and there was a display of leather goods, small bags and the like.

Down stairs were the booths of several pen makers. Pelikan had the booth immediately in front of the escalator. They were bordered by a pen maker I had not heard of before, "Davidoff" of cigar fame I was told. This was their debut in Japan. They have a new line of pens made exclusively for the Japanese market, the nibs designed to suit Japanese writing. The nibs for this line of pens are made by Sailor. Very nice pens, almost bought one but decided against. By the way, the pens they have for the Japanese market are in my usual price range, their normal or classic lines are well above it.

Across from Davidoff was "Kuretake" who specialize in dear antler holders for "Bock" nibs. Very nice, I was very interested in them last year until I learned I could get a Nakaya for the same price, or nearly the same price. Having a lot of Pilot and Sailor pens I saw nothing new except the ten pen, pen case by Sailor. I did order Pilot's LE pen for this year's event. Won't be ready until December, which allows me the time to save up for it. This brightened my outlook, as this was one of the pens I really wanted and seeing it in person, Wow! But it is beautiful!

Onoto had a very nice display. Several of their pens were on my wish list for this year. Tried one out and mentally tried to work out a way to pay for it.

Visconti was there but I forgot to bring my LE Visconti I purchased second hand in. I have been trying to learn how many were produced for about a year now and was upset with myself that I forgot it in addition to not being able to gather my vintage pens to get worked on. This was rectified when a schedule change allowed me to visit again on Friday, this time with my pen. Got the info I wanted, tested out a Rembrandt and Visconti's blue ink. Loved both and they came home with me.

Cross and Sheaffer each had a display. Cross had mostly ballpoint pens however.

After surveying all the displays I picked up the LE I reserved. Each year, Maruzen reprints vintage advertising blotters which the give out with each purchase until they run out. This year I had to ask for it, which I have never had to do in the past. Next to this year's ink "Jade Green" there were three colors that were LE inks from previous events. These were not left overs, rather a small amount reproduced for this show.

Made another trip around the booths and decided I really liked the Jade Green ink and bought another bottle, and again had to ask for the blotters.

Disappointed by my inability to pick up the pens I was hoping to get, I decided on checking out Maruzen Marunouchi to see if they had any of their LE tenth anniversary pens left. They did, just one of the Sailor pens. It having a nib different from my other Sailors and in a holder style I like, I bought it.

My return trip was beneficial as I stated above but was also a bit strange. Despite asking about a converter, the Visconti rep let me leave with pen and bottle of ink without a converter. Luckily, I planned to stop nearby to fill my new pen as I had coffee. After finishing my coffee, back I went and bought my converter. But this allowed me to get another set of blotters, though I had to ask for these again. But now I have a couple sets for gifts which I would not have had enough if I bought the converter with the pen, so all ended well.

Mitsukoshi's event was part of a larger 100th anniversary event. I believe the pen section was bigger than Maruzen's pen event. There certainly was much more room available. Ohashido had the widest display I have ever seen for them. They had a manual powered lathe set up and were turning pens.

Nakaya too had a wide display booth, the widest by far that I have seen for them.

Others here but not at Maruzen were Monteverde, which elated me as I needed a converter for one of my pens by them. Conway Stewart, Namiki, Kaweko were at Mitsukoshi but not Maruzen. Eboya I had just learned of two days before from a post on FPN. GUYS STOP THIS! Why is it I keep learning about Japanese pens and inks from folks outside Japan? I mean, come on, I live here! Eboya, is just done the street from me, literally! And I learn about them from someone in the States, I Believe. Anyway, it was great to find them so soon after learning about them and then learning they are so close to me. Along the same train line, a comfortable bike ride from my home, amazing. I fear I may become a regular visitor there, until they ban me for drooling all over their pens that is.

Another company I never heard of, Kunuka was also there.

I was really interested in one of Sailor's LE pens for the event but had not the funds despite it not being the more expensive of their offerings. I did buy some of the LE ink. So I least didn't have to leave empty handed. Will post a sample tomorrow.

As I wrote the above, I thought back on last year's Maruzen event. Others also there please correct me if I am in error, but it seems that they ran out of their lucky bag of pens and other goodies very early the first day. There were still quite a few left even on the third day this year. This year's LE ink also seemed to stay on the shelves longer. This year, on the first day even, they pen smiths were idle for long stretches of time whereas in past years I always saw a long line of people waiting. A wasted opportunity for me, as I was not able to gather the pens I needed worked on. I am certain now that the lack of energy was not just me in my funk, but to at least some degree, fact.

Anyone out there who attended last year's and this year's? I'd love to see how accurate my perception of this year's was.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tinjapan

• Cyber6

• rudyhou

• amberleadavis

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Love the detailed description.... wished I was there. ;)

Not sure how is done in Japan... you think you can get pictures next year? :)

Thanks so much for giving us such a good description of attending a Japanese Pen Fair. :wub:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Photographing is generally not allowed in stores in Japan. It would be very difficult to at Maruzen even if allowed, there is very little room there. The Mitsukoshi event would have been easy to do, but again, not allowed.

Mitsukoshi 101 LE ink with other reds for comparison.

AWESOME comparison... too many of them look on the "pink" side in my monitor..(bottom of the picture)... but the top of the picture seems right (Rouge, Crested Ibis, Waterman... they look correct to me).. So I will guess that Mitsukoshi is a really bright red.. :)

Thanks again Tinjapan... :lol:

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

• 2 weeks later...

how i wished to be able to live in tokyo, so i could attend all of the city's pen shows and visit the many pen shops. one day, i shall make a trip to tokyo just for a pen show, but i hope my inability to speak japanese would not make my life difficult. say, does one need to have a basic skill in japanese in order to communicate with the many vendors at a japanese pen show?

-rudy-

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY