How Much Is This Vintage Parker 45 Worth?

frauz

I look now at the first pen I bought at a pen show and I don't just see the pen itself - a nice little piston filler in a very unusual celluloid, with a nicely tuned steel nib - but I also see a pen that started my love affair with German piston fillers and vintage celluloid.

And if I'm feeling a bit broke, I look at it and think that's the pen that saved me SO MUCH MONEY by distracting me from the shiny Italian pens on the next stand.

Let's hope in years to come you'll look at that Parker 45 and think "Hey, that little pen got something started".

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• NinthSphere

• frauz

• Fountain-head

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The OP was made to pay an exorbitant price. Let us face it. The seller told him it was "double the price of other 45s" because of its gold cap which is not true. 45s are sold from $10 (even $5) to 30 (the upper price for those with gold nibs ). So $160 is not merely double the price. It is a huge huge price. The lady seller shouldnt have taken advantage of the inexperience of the OP. Well , I am truely disappointed and feel really sorry for the OP.

Khan M. Ilyas

I just went through all of the several hundred P45 listings on Fleabay.

I only saw 2 Fiesta Reds. One had a single tone cap. I didn't even look for a conv. It's sitting around a $25 open.

The other was a FR Arrow with I think a start of $33.

Certainly No FR with Broad gold nibs and GF caps.

However, I do seem to recall a Burgundy with a B gold and GF cap...

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The OP was made to pay an exorbitant price. Let us face it.

Yup, despite all the "feel good" replies, anyway you look at it, the OP was hosed - unless the seller had a gun and was wearing a mask.

Yup, despite all the "feel good" replies, anyway you look at it, the OP was hosed - unless the seller had a gun and was wearing a mask.

Yes I think we are all pretty much in agreement that he paid "top drawer" price but don't you think that is the usual practice of many dealers? Ask for the high price & then they might consider an offer of less when they don't get their initial asking price? I know I certainly do not purchase from a dealer like that but probably ONCE. I think the saddest thing is that dealers fail to consider "gaining a customer" to be important in their business plan. I have purchased six pens from Regina Martini when she sells them @ 50% or less than listed price & I am sure she makes a profit @ that. BUT my $ is NOT going to the dealers that seem to think "their" cachet warrants full or @ most a 20% discount.

I still believe the old adage: "Pigs get fatter while HOGS get slaughtered!" I am happy to think the dealers I support are gaining some weight while I hide & watch the others to see what their future holds!

I only hope the experience of this thread doesn't cause distrust of ALL dealers because there are more "good guys" out there than the ones that are greedy. I know I had to learn the hard way to resist the "Kool Aid!"

Just decide to enjoy your new Parker 45. Ten years from now it will have cost you a bit more than $1.25 per month for the enjoyment and the nods of approval you will receive from folks who marvel at you using a fountain pen. You probably spend more than that on your table wine each month; I sure I do. :-)

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Just decide to enjoy your new Parker 45. Ten years from now it will have cost you a bit more than $1.25 per month for the enjoyment and the nods of approval you will receive from folks who marvel at you using a fountain pen. You probably spend more than that on your table wine each month; I sure I do. :-)

And if he had paid twice as much he could enjoy his $1.25/month for twenty years.

Hey, I got one of these off of Ebay a while back for like, 25 bucks. The listing for mine said gold filled as well but I thought it was steel when it arrived. I don't have it in front of me at the moment and I wish I could confirm it better.

Here's photos from the listing itself...

http://i59.tinypic.com/29pyvj8.jpghttp://i62.tinypic.com/2vdmwiu.jpg

I like it a lot. It writes a bit on the thick side but it's a fun pen.

Hey, I got one of these off of Ebay a while back for like, 25 bucks. The listing for mine said gold filled as well but I thought it was steel when it arrived. I don't have it in front of me at the moment and I wish I could confirm it better.

Here's photos from the listing itself...

http://i59.tinypic.com/29pyvj8.jpghttp://i62.tinypic.com/2vdmwiu.jpg

I like it a lot. It writes a bit on the thick side but it's a fun pen.

It is a P45 GT. A steel cap with gold plated trim. The nib should either be gold or gold plated steel. You may disassemble the nib and check for the inscription. If gold it should say so (14k/12k). Congrats on the new aqcuisition.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

It is a P45 GT. A steel cap with gold plated trim. The nib should either be gold or gold plated steel. You may disassemble the nib and check for the inscription. If gold it should say so (14k/12k). Congrats on the new aqcuisition.

Haha cool, thanks man! I should definitely post some of the pens I own more often to this forum. I just did some quick research and these were in production a long time. It makes me wonder if mines is an old or newer model...I'm going to disassemble after I've used up the ink and cleaned the pen. Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Fountain-head

I have the Bugundy version of this pen, give to me by my late father. At a pen store in Melbourne, the pen dealer had never seen this colour version of the 45. Needless to say, I also added that it wasn't for sale either. Value? Doesn't matter! :)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have the Bugundy version of this pen, give to me by my late father. At a pen store in Melbourne, the pen dealer had never seen this colour version of the 45 and that it is quite rare. Needless to say, I also added that it wasn't for sale either. Value? Doesn't matter! :)

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

There are several of the 45 colors that are harder to find, Urnge and Pink come to mind. I presume because they were colors

that didn't originally sell well.

If you look on Richard's 45 page there are colors you don't see very often. Funny, same with Esties too, The Bright Yellow and Fiesta Red pastel pens are harder to find too.

I find it pretty humorous that not a one of those that think the OP "got screwed" happens to own this same pen.

I doubt they've even Seen a pen exactly like it.

I've made unsupported emotional pen statements like that before. About 5 years ago when Speerbob had a bunch of NOS TX 45s, I said (to myself) $50 for a 45?! You gotta be outta your damn mind. I sure wish I could see that deal today. :(

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Haha cool, thanks man! I should definitely post some of the pens I own more often to this forum. I just did some quick research and these were in production a long time. It makes me wonder if mines is an old or newer model...I'm going to disassemble after I've used up the ink and cleaned the pen. Thanks for the suggestion!

The date of production should be there on the cap lips. See here for updated and authentic information on date coding of Parker pens. Read and compare the date code on the cap of your pen.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/284105-parker-sonnet-finishes-and-datecodes/

Khan M. Ilyas

There are several of the 45 colors that are harder to find, Urnge and Pink come to mind. I presume because they were colors

that didn't originally sell well.

If you look on Richard's 45 page there are colors you don't see very often. Funny, same with Esties too, The Bright Yellow and Fiesta Red pastel pens are harder to find too.

I find it pretty humorous that not a one of those that think the OP "got screwed" happens to own this same pen.

I doubt they've even Seen a pen exactly like it.

I've made unsupported emotional pen statements like that before. About 5 years ago when Speerbob had a bunch of NOS TX 45s, I said (to myself) $50 for a 45?! You gotta be outta your damn mind. I sure wish I could see that deal today. :(

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Yes , but was it "double the price of other 45s" or was the price 5-6 times more than other 45s'? That is the question. The OP was simply robbed by the seller taking unethical advantage of his inexperience. Sorry , Bruce.

Khan M. Ilyas

Frauz...I think you got a beautiful pen and think you're lucky it's also a beautiful writer. I've been collecting pens for 30+ years...in that time, I've overpaid for some and got great deals on others. For instance, I found an Esterbrook Red Pastel pen, NOS, with beautiful sticker and 9314B nib for $2. In an antique mall cigar box. Enjoy your beautiful pen. In the end, everything evens out.

One last thought...when I look back on my years of pen collecting, it's not the ones I overpaid for that I regret. It's the ones I let get away. Just sayin'.

The date of production should be there on the cap lips. See here for updated and authentic information on date coding of Parker pens. Read and compare the date code on the cap of your pen.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/284105-parker-sonnet-finishes-and-datecodes/

Hey, thank you for this! I tried using this to figure out the age of my pen and I can't find the datecode. Rats!

One last thought...when I look back on my years of pen collecting, it's not the ones I overpaid for that I regret. It's the ones I let get away. Just sayin'.

Totally correct.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.