Thanks, Fpn - You Saved My Pens!

Erica Kline

I had some pens that had been stored away for awhile, that I decided to ink up and use. However, these pens just didn't seem to be working. They were hard to get started and once started would dry up or not write after being capped for a day.

Because I always rinse out my pens and nibs with water before storing them away, I never thought they could be clogged up.

However, I decided to try the Pen Flush consisting of Water, dish soap and ammonia that I had read about here some time ago.

Guess what, it worked, the pens are writing again!

So whoever posted that reciepe, thanks!

I recommend it to anyone having flow problems as a first step,

Erica

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Erica Kline

• Consulting_Detective

• OcalaFlGuy

• Misfit

Ah, the little miracles that FPN always manages to create. Hopefully you get some more pens and extend your collection!

-RTMC

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

See Erica, now that you fixed your own pens with FPNs help, you don't have to send them off to a Pro to get them running again.

You can spend That money on a New pen!

"I Love It when a plan comes together!"

-Col Hannibal Smith-

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

....and paper. Lots and lots of paper.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

And soon a semi-flex. :rolleyes:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

then a regular flex... and a....

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

See...we incline to evil.

or more like pressure the inexperience into the deeper end of the pool with Regular Flex, Semi-Flex, Eye Dropper, and such. Be careful when you get there, it is very, very... money draining...

-RTMC

Favorite Ink and Pen Combinations:

Monteverde Jewelria in Fine with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Jinhao x450 with a Goulet X-Fine Nib with Noodlers Liberty's Elysium

Lamy Al-Star BlueGreen in Extra Fine with Parker Quink Black

Pilot Metropolitan in Medium with Parker Quink Black

"A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti."

- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Applause to you, Erica !

Obviously, the "flushing" habit of yours was not enough to prevent some clogging.

However, it was enough to evade serious clogging. I am glad that the problems

were easy to remedy. You did well. Three cheers.

Hip-hip . . . . . !

Hip-hip . . . . . !

Hip-hip . . . . . !

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

That is what I use and it works well.

10 oz distilled water

1 oz clear, non-sudsing ammonia

1-2 drops dish detergent

Edited by FountainPages

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

The ammonia + dishsoap flush works 90% of the time. Glad you found some useful advice here.

I agree with the posters above, now that you've got your pens working, start poking around in the paper and the ink forums just for kicks.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• 2 weeks later...

So my pen-tweaking has gone to new levels and more pens have been saved. I decided to try nib-smoothing for a couple of cheap pens with scratchy nibs. I got one of my nail-smoothing pads, and using the finest grit, carefully smoothed the nibs. Then I polished them with some mylar sheets I guess I must have had in my drawer for 15 years...

Anyway, it worked, and now they are very nice writers!

I am so thrilled with my adventures that I'm thinking of trying to tweak the nibs of a couple of pens I have that are really too dry ... even after the "flush".

This is fun!

Thanks all for your help over the years.

Erica