Edison Herald, Copper Flake, Medium Stainless Nib

boybacon

Good Morning, Everyone (well, morning in the CST anyway)!

Before I start my review, allow me to preface it by saying: My handwriting is horrible. It's bad. It's horrid. It's not good. I've been told many times that I missed my calling as a Doctor based solely on my penmanship. Please do not expect my letters to be flowing, evenly spaced, in neat parallel lines. In fact, this was my biggest barrier to posting my first review, being self-conscious about my ability to write in block letters or cursive.

So, on we go to the review. I ordered this pen from Goulet Pens. My path to this pen was as follows: I had a fountain pen as a child (which I lost), and later received a MontBlanc as a gift (which the gifter lost, so I married her). At the tender age of 43 I decided to buy a new one. After extensive and detailed research lasting all of 5 minutes, I ordered a Conklin Duragraph and after using it realized that I wanted something better (and also reminded myself to slow down, smell the roses and do a little more research before making a purchase). That's when I ordered the Edison Herald in Copper Flake acrylic. My Duragraph has a fine nib, which I did not like, so I bumped up to a medium nib. The pen arrived well packaged (with a Tootsie pop!) and inside was the Edison box. Comparing the giant sloppy "trying to be really nice but failing miserably" box that the Duragraph arrived in, the Edison box was right-sized, had an attractive appearance inside and out (including this for those who care about the boxes).

Inside was this beauty. What a gorgeous colored pen. I had ordered a set of ink samples in dark red, and ended up buying a bottle of Noodler's Antietam to match the color of the pen. My second choice would be Diamine Red Dragon, which also matches nicely (a bit redder, a bit darker). The cap is a nice fit and the threads match up nicely (not so tight that you worry about cracking the cap). The clip is well proportioned to the pen, and is positioned so that a small bit of the top peaks out of your pocket (if you carry one in the chest pocket). I like that, as it's a conversation starter. The pen is smooth, and is lightly engraved "Edison Pen Co." over "Herald". I'm guessing it's a laser engraving. I filled the pen using the included converter, although I could set it up as an eyedropper, too. Since I was trying different inks, I stuck with the converter.

I wrote with the pen posted, and unposted. I prefer unposted, because it seems to "snuggle" into my hand a little more comfortably. The ink flowed smoothly and right at the 7/10 wetness that Edison promises. The nib is smooth, and writes with a light touch (you know when you've hit the pressure sweet spot because the pen just floats across the paper). No scratchiness, not "toothy", just a wonderful nib that wants to move faster than my hand (and brain!) can write.

Summary: Appearance 10/10 - Absolutely gorgeous. For full effect, get it outside in full sunlight. WOW!

Wetness: 7/10

Smoothness of nib: 9/10 - It's not a slippery nib, and it's far, far nicer than the Conklin nib that I had been using.

Ergonomics: 10/10 - This pen just feels nice in the hand. Warm, light, comfortable curves, the nib section is nicely contoured and fits my short, thick fingers nicely

Sealing (how well the cap seals against drying out): 9/10 - I get the occasional dry start, but I think that's more the ink than it is the pen. I think the Red Dragon ink would make this a 10/10.

Weight: 10/10 - I prefer a lighter weight pen because I get hand cramps on a regular basis (always have, since a small child).

Overall: 9.5/10 - Not rating it a 10/10 because someday, I may find a better pen. Possibly. I'll revisit this in 10 years and maybe change it to a 10/10 :-)

post-120708-0-70722100-1426427378_thumb.jpg

post-120708-0-91758300-1426427395_thumb.jpg

post-120708-0-20863700-1426428077_thumb.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• helene20

• boybacon

• Jamerelbe

• inkeverywhere

Boybacon. . thanks so much for the review. When I glanced at your name "boybacon" I thought for a minute you might be Canadian. I have the exact pen and I love my Herald. Sometimes I use it as an ink dropper. I have 3 Heralds now and it's one of my favorite designs. I'm glad you noted the Edison Nibs have a hint Of feedback. Usually one may set it up smoother, but Brian does a nice job at either. Kudos to show your handwriting. Mine is bad as well.

@Tasmith: I have not visited Anderson Pens. My son is a swimmer, and generally we attend a swim meet in Appleton every summer. Now that I'm into the world of Fountain Pens, I will add that to my itinerary. Thanks!

@Bill Wood: I'm glad that you enjoyed the review! The nickname has stuck from my first job out of college. I worked in a meat packing plant and supervised 1/2 of the bacon department. The plant processed 7,000 pigs a day, and we really churned out a lot of bacon! It's also been part of my email address since...well, a long time :-)

And all the time I thought you were just hamming it up with that screen name.

Also like the review and quit being so totally down on yourself about your handwriting. If you don't like the way it is, then start practicing to make it better.

Time & practice WILL make a difference. ... more than my opinion as I have seen people who have made the changes over time.

Again, good review.

Thank you :-)

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

All Edison pens are fitted with JoWo nibs, customised for Brian Gray and adjusted by him. He does use #5 nibs in some pens and the larger #6 in others - but I'm pretty sure these are both #6. Goulet Pens sell both - whether or not you buy from them, the Pen Plaza on their website allows you to line up pictures of the pens side by side to compare features.

All Edison pens are fitted with JoWo nibs, customised for Brian Gray and adjusted by him. He does use #5 nibs in some pens and the larger #6 in others - but I'm pretty sure these are both #6. Goulet Pens sell both - whether or not you buy from them, the Pen Plaza on their website allows you to line up pictures of the pens side by side to compare features.

I bought the Collier and I am very happy. Might buy the Herald since it's the same nib. Love the writing with this pen. It's becoming a fav in my collection!

I bought the Collier and I am very happy. Might buy the Herald since it's the same nib. Love the writing with this pen. It's becoming a fav in my collection!

Have you reviewed the Collier yet? Which color did you get? I was looking at the Collier, and decided on the Herald instead (based solely on the copper flake color!).

Nice review alright, but what a great looking FP - I'd like one.

Greg

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Have you reviewed the Collier yet? Which color did you get? I was looking at the Collier, and decided on the Herald instead (based solely on the copper flake color!).

I did in the Persimmon Swirl and it's a beautiful color and writes so well. I might order the Herald because I like the copper flake color as well.

Thanks for the review. One of these isn't really in the budget yet, but the Copper Flake Herald is on my "someday" list.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."