Starwalker Cool Blue Worth Holding On To?

dubhe

So I have recently been playing with some different pens. A vintage Waterman, and an inexpensive Noodlers Ink FP for example. I like the Noodlers Ink especially because I can take it everywhere knowing it only cost $40, I can also disassemble it completely which makes me really feel I know the pen.

So, the point of this thread, my StarWalker was my regular pen, though I did not take it everywhere with me as I wanted to guard against damage. Now that I have the above pens, I use it even less.

If I were to sell the StarWalker, I could fund numerous budget pens, vintage pens, and ink. But, would I regret it in the future.

I think the Cool Blue is the best StarWalker to date, and many seem to agree. Do any of you think that it might be worth keeping hold of? That I should clean it, pop it back in its box and forget about it for 30 years?

Or, should I sell it now while the demand is, apparently, there?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• dubhe

• zaddick

• canibanoglu

My humble opinion - the demand for specific pens fluctuate as frequently day by day and really depends on the demand by a specific buyer at that time of sale. There is no reason for the rise and fall of such demand. With certain exceptions like the Hemingway where it will stay relatively high because it is the first in the WEs collection... as an example. Don't think your StarWalker will hold its perceived value x days or years from now. The last thing I would do is to "pop it back in its box". Use it until you are ready to move on to another pen.

Good luck!

But, would I regret it in the future.

... I should clean it, pop it back in its box and forget about it for 30 years?

Or, should I sell it now while the demand is, apparently, there?

Well, you already think you will regret it. unless the money is needed, I recommend holding on to a sorted out pen that you like. If you were indifferent, i would urge you to sell and move on. You can always come back to the pen as it is not a one-of-a-kind.

Forget it for 30 years? That is just sad. If you like it you should use it. Plus it is already used, as you noted, so it will not be a top dollar specimen if people even want these pens in 30 years. Styles change all the time and this design may not age well.

The decision is yours, of course, but I would tell you to ask yourself if the value of the exploration the sale would afford you would be greater happiness from keeping the pen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks for the replies, I do like the pen, so should keep it. But, as my budget for such things is minimal, so I have several times considered trading so I can buy something different to keep my 'hobby' alive.

I have since writing the first post bought a converter for the StarWalker, hopefully this will prove an inexpensive way to keep the pen out of its box and in use!

I can't say with certainty that your cool blue will be a rare collector's item 30 years from now. MB has released and then discontinued a wide range of Starwalker models. I have come across a few eBay listings that present the cool blue as a rare or hard-to-find collector's item and decided to take those claims with a grain of salt.

I think the cool blue is a wonderful writing tool: fun to use, ergonomic and very pretty but not a Grail pen.

Edited by meiers

Thanks for the replies, I do like the pen, so should keep it. But, as my budget for such things is minimal, so I have several times considered trading so I can buy something different to keep my 'hobby' alive.

I have since writing the first post bought a converter for the StarWalker, hopefully this will prove an inexpensive way to keep the pen out of its box and in use!

Getting a converter for it is great idea!!! Edited by meiers

Definitely keep the pen. If you want to keep your hobby alive, buy some inks and cheaper pens. Don't consider selling a StarWalker so you can finance the purchase of multiple lower tier pens. That's like selling a Lamborghini in order to buy a couple of Renaults to keep your car fondness alive.

Also, buying a pen or storing a pen with the hopes that its value will appreciate over the years is a very uncertain game and one that I find pretty pointless. These pens are meant to be used and they should be used. Not using a pen because you don't want it damaged is something that I find very weird. Just try to be careful with the pen when you're taking it out. Sure, something might happen when you're outside with the pen, but then again there could be an earthquake that could shake your house so much that your Starwalker falls to the ground from your desk.

Not using a pen because you don't want it damaged is something that I find very weird. Just try to be careful with the pen when you're taking it out. Sure, something might happen when you're outside with the pen, but then again there could be an earthquake that could shake your house so much that your Starwalker falls to the ground from your desk.

When I'm out of the office I'm generally in coveralls climbing over ships, hence I don't want the StarWalker in my top pocket! I still like to use a FP though when taking notes, or writing up my reports. Even a $20 Lamy is better than any black ball point.

Ah, that's a more dangerous job from a pen perspective :D But I still stand by my earlier post. Also, I'm with you on the ballpoint part :P

• 2 weeks later...

It is certainly a unique colour as no longer produced. However, I haven't seen this pen appreciate much in value. If you have a better pen to buy, this can go. Otherwise, keep it.

• 1 year later...

I have a bad habit of falling in love with things that at some point I wasn't too fond of :/ Just saying.

If money is not needed, keep it.

Double post - deleted

Edited by zaddick

If you are interested in selling it, let me know.

Try a PM instead of reviving an old topic for this type or request. You'll have better luck.