Work In Progress On A Custom Order "big Red"

Carl Fisher - F3 Pens

Some work in progress shots of a big red inspired custom...but larger by request.

On that note, does anyone know the length of a Sr Duofold from the tip of the nib or front of the front section to the tail? I'm not sure where I want to cut this down at to put the black finial on the rear.

post-85626-0-43904600-1426274282_thumb.jpg

post-85626-0-57610800-1426274289_thumb.jpg

post-85626-0-09480900-1426274295_thumb.jpg

post-85626-0-60443700-1426274299_thumb.jpg

Carl Fisher - Owner and chief artisan at F3 Pens

https://bio.site/f3pens

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Carl Fisher - F3 Pens

• manojd

• mehandiratta

• Manalto

The pen body is done.

Now I have to figure out how to tackle a cap this size. The problem isn't so much the cap as the cap bands. It's hard to leave enough meat on the tenon for the bands while still allowing for the 14mm threads.

This is a BIG pen. The size as shown:

129.5 mm long

14.2 mm body diameter

Grip section tapers from 12.7 mm down to 11.7 mm with a 12.7 mm front step.

Don't let the size fool you, it's very comfortable to hold and because the bulk of the body is alumilite it's actually very light weight. The black section and finial are ebonite.

post-85626-0-60308100-1426551339_thumb.jpg

Looking good so far. Doesn't look big to me from the picture, just about right size.

I can't believe I'm making fountain pens! pen.18111.com

The body is about 2mm larger than my typical largest pen. 14mm threads instead of 12mm. It's not necessarily longer, just wider.

Good for arthritic hands, but I find it very comfortable for me to hold as well.

Manoj, I was planning on asking you to do a custom like this one for me in the exact same proportion as a 1920s big red. One suggestion - Compare the 1920s design versus the 1930 streamline. The latter is a comedown on design from the sharp lines of the former. I would have also thought adapting/innovating a captive pilot con 70 converter operated by opening the blind cap would have been coming very close to the button filler on the Big Red

Edited by Sridhar

Manoj, I was planning on asking you to do a custom like this one for me in the exact same proportion as a 1920s big red. One suggestion - Compare the 1920s design versus the 1930 streamline. The latter is a comedown on design from the sharp lines of the former. I would have also thought adapting/innovating a captive pilot con 70 converter operated by opening the blind cap would have been coming very close to the button filler on the Big Red

I just finished making an ebonite housing for a nib-feed assembly that can take a standard converter. So this is feasible.

Looks like it is coming along nicely! How did you get those brass rings inlaid in the cap? It looks like maybe you laminated them between layers of plastic?

-Evan

For the bands, I cut 2 bands of brass and 2 bands of the red and just stacked and epoxied them onto a tenon. Then it's business as usual.

Here was the finished product and already shipped out to it's new owner.

post-85626-0-82221200-1427069830_thumb.jpg
post-85626-0-45215700-1427069844_thumb.jpg
post-85626-0-34658100-1427148732_thumb.jpg

The pen looks lovely, well done!

+1. Your client must be very happy.

I see that design also in an amber-honey color. The gold would harmonize and the black would be a snappy contrast. What do you think?

ETA: Just looked at your web site and 'Orange Crush' would be smashing!

Edited by Manalto

James

I'm actually getting ready to make the twin to this in Mandarin Yellow. I'm thinking of a few color options as I could see a light blue looking very nice in this design as well.

I might be able to pull that one off actually. I'll have to get a good sleeve of ebonite or similar on the interior and leave the wood skin. I like a challenge :)

At that point it's all about the math to make sure I get my thickness right and I've got all that done from the last one.

Edited by Carl Fisher