Ebay Rude Seller

Oldtimer

I'd put it down to language/cultural differences. Picture, if you will, a chubby, red-cheeked Sgt. Schultz type saying what's written there, with a smile on his lips. That figure is definitely trying to be funny on the wrong side of a translation fence. I've got some European relatives to lean on for this interpretation too.

A semi-colon and an end-bracket rather than an exclamation point would make for a more certain application of this interpretation of events, of course. I looks like a nice pen, though, and for my part it's not rude enough (putting the worst light on it) to make me not want to buy from him.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• fountainpenlady

• torstar

• Cryptos

I strongly suspect it may have been a problem related to the probability that English is not his first language. I have bought a couple of pens from this seller in the past and have to say the quality and the service were outstanding. I got the impression that he takes great pride in the items he sells. In my limited experience, that pride was fully justified. I would not hesitate buying from him again.

See, I don't think this is a translation error or a cultural difference at all. If someone asks (for sake of simplicity) "Do you sell leaky pens?" the answer "Sorry, no. If you want to buy leaky pens you'll have to get them elsewhere" is rather droll. I think the seller said exactly what he/she wanted to say. Further, as SashaRoyale says "don't be so thin-skinned'!

Bill Bryson relates a similar tale whereby he was buying a rail ticket in the UK. The seller said the ticket was free but the receipt was $18! (paraphrased as I cannot remember all the details).

And anyway...

fpn_1426106349__storm_in_a_teacup.jpg

Edited by Cardboard_Tube

I bought a Pelikan 140 from this seller a while back and had nothing but excellent service from him. No problems or question of rudeness whatsoever.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

See, I don't think this is a translation error or a cultural difference at all. If someone asks (for sake of simplicity) "Do you sell leaky pens?" the answer "Sorry, no. If you want to buy leaky pens you'll have to get them elsewhere" is rather droll. I think the seller said exactly what he/she wanted to say. Further, as SashaRoyale says "don't be so thin-skinned'!

Bill Bryson relates a similar tale whereby he was buying a rail ticket in the UK. The seller said the ticket was free but the receipt was $18! (paraphrased as I cannot remember all the details).

And anyway...

fpn_1426106349__storm_in_a_teacup.jpg

Cardboard Tube is spot on! (Plus I love the graphic!)

And I am still waiting for the OP's screen shot of his original question. It would have been more appropriate to have had all the information before the rope was thrown over the tree limb.

I've bought from this seller. He/she is very reliable and the items arrive as depicted. I believe that the seller is from Germany, so there might be a bit of a language barrier.

If the price of this pen goes above $250, you're probably better off spending a little extra and buying from Rick Propas.

Like others above I've purchased pens from this seller and actually have had great service.

On the matter of interpreting the intent of words displayed on a on screen my suggestion is that we should all be a little more sensitive, ..... and we all should be a little less sensitive.

My perception is a small language barrier, and a larger ego. High prices and indignation at questions are a tough way to do business.

I agree. I am rude sometimes when selling stuff. If you state in the description that the item is black and post a picture with it, and someone asks afterwards what`s the color of the item, wouldn`t anyone get upset? Besides, in this case the seller was more ironic than rude.

I did notice there is certain way of discussing business and discussing in general in the anglo-saxon culture, which does not necessarily exist in other cultures. Americans and english people are quite polite. It almost bugs me, since being polite is not an indication of one`s character. it`s mostly a question of societal habits. Personally, i prefer being frank to being polite.

Edited by rochester21

It would help if the OP were to include his "polite question" so we could evaluate his tone before condemning the seller. The seller's last sentence is, I believe, meant to be ironic; however, digital communication is a notoriously bad mode for expressing irony and humor (hence the preponderance of emoticons). Consequently, I'd suggest postponing the lynching.

Regards,

Daniel

Here it goes:

Dear xxxxx-xx,

f I am correct the piston seal of these pens was made of cork. The one showing here (also if I am identifying it correctly) seems plastic. Is this a replacement?

Pardon my ignorance if I am wrong.

Thanks for your answer.

~~~~~~~~~

I know think he was been ironic, but many people may not get it and it doesn't cost to be extra polite with customer. First rule for business: the buyer is always right, although we know what that really means: BE POLITE!

Edited by Oldtimer

I agree. I am rude sometimes when selling stuff. If you state in the description that the item is black and post a picture with it, and someone asks afterwards what`s the color of the item, wouldn`t anyone get upset? Besides, in this case the seller was more ironic than rude.

I did notice there is certain way of discussing business and discussing in general in the anglo-saxon culture, which does not necessarily exist in other cultures. Americans and english people are quite polite. It almost bugs me, since being polite is not an indication of one`s character. it`s mostly a question of societal habits. Personally, i prefer being frank to being polite.

In that case it would serve you both if you did not answer. Go drink a beer!

If you are the seller, you NEED the buyers.

I don't understand " tempest in a coffee cup ". :lticaptd:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I don't understand " tempest in a coffee cup ". :lticaptd:

It's the same as "tempest in a teapot" or "tempest in a tea cup".

A tempest is a storm. A storm in a coffee cup is not a big deal.

It is "much ado about little".

I've seen his auctions before and it may be somewhat abrupt reply but on the bright side at least he had HQ photos and listed info too. It's challenging sometimes when people sell pens and it's in a dimly lit room or blurry. Also, In the end there's not a lot of vintage Pelikan merchants...

Agreed, how the Penguin is a great site though.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

"Personally, i prefer being frank to being polite." You can do both and then no one is angry.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

• 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble finding good deals on eBay.

eBay merchants have to go out of their way to come across as friendly and customer-service oriented. My albeit limited experience has been very discouraging: high-priced fountain pens and general indifference to potential customers.

"Personally, i prefer being frank to being polite." You can do both and then no one is angry.

Being frank AND polite is an option.

Edited by meiers

Particularly, if you are not a millionaire and really need customers to purchase items from you for your livelihood. Devaluing cultures to justify lack of common sense, etiquette or business communication serves as warning to those who would purchase anything from this seller. Do so with the idea that from the initial encounter you are thought to be less in terms of warranting any degree of respect; no matter how simple the question, a seller is suppose to take a deep breath, count to ten and answer the question. Anything less is rude. The lesson here is since this seller lacks fundamental communication skills, there should not be any reward in terms of sales. It is the only way to teach, guide or make clear, etiquette when it comes to communication is not an option. :angry:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Particularly, if you are not a millionaire and really need customers to purchase items from you for your livelihood. Devaluing cultures to justify lack of common sense, etiquette or business communication serves as warning to those who would purchase anything from this seller. Do so with the idea that from the initial encounter you are thought to be less in terms of warranting any degree of respect; no matter how simple the question, a seller is suppose to take a deep breath, count to ten and answer the question. Anything less is rude. The lesson here is since this seller lacks fundamental communication skills, there should not be any reward in terms of sales. It is the only way to teach, guide or make clear, etiquette when it comes to communication is not an option. :angry:

Amen! Systah