Ebay Rude Seller

Oldtimer

well, this happens to me for asking too much, which Ido to learn. I was admiring thispen and asked just one question. Very politely. Normal question inquiring about the seal of this pen. Hope this photo shows:http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i82/anangeli/PENS/EBAY/57c4e0601f1880ebfa3bf18e9da62c53_zps6b0cbc92.jpghere is his answer to my polite question: is he rude or not? Or is it a translation problem?

***img removed***

Edited by dcroe05
**Do not post personal communication with identifying information (such as a username). Feel free to repost the image without the username, or copy/paste the text of the message**

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• meiers

• fountainpenlady

• torstar

• Cryptos

Perhaps English is not their primary language, and they are trying to make a joke and/or show a difference in their pen versus other sellers?

"I need solitary hours at a desk with good paper and a fountain pen like some people need a pill for their health." ~ Orhan Pamuk

The auctions of this seller are always documented with great and detailed pictures, indicating that the pens for sale are quality restorations. But even then, a seller should be able to respond politely to any question. Your question is legit so his answer appears unnecessary rude indeed.

Let's suppose that he had a bad day. Double bad then, as he seems to have lost a possible buyer.

First:

He gives a wrong answer. Some early 100N do also have cork seals and not only rubber seals.

Second:

It might sound rude, it might be some ironic statement with cheek in tongue which has gone wrong (but no rudeness intended)

Third:

I've seen his items and they were definitely not a bargain.

Conclusion:

Your choice :-) No need to buy from him, there are plenty of 100Ns around.

Greetings,

Michael

There is no need for him to be rude in his answer, and I think he was, unnecessarily rude. Some people come across as rude and intimidating when they don't intend to be, but this seller's last sentence could easily have been left out of his reply.

There is no need for him to be rude in his answer, and I think he was, unnecessarily rude. Some people come across as rude and intimidating when they don't intend to be, but this seller's last sentence could easily have been left out of his reply.

+1. May be a language barrier issue. I try to stretch here and give him the benefit of the doubt but it does not translate well and comes off poorly. The nice thing is that there is no commitment here so if he's put you off, you are not out anything and were saved the potential hastle of dealing with him in a transaction.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

It would help if the OP were to include his "polite question" so we could evaluate his tone before condemning the seller. The seller's last sentence is, I believe, meant to be ironic; however, digital communication is a notoriously bad mode for expressing irony and humor (hence the preponderance of emoticons). Consequently, I'd suggest postponing the lynching.

Regards,

Daniel

I don't see a Canadian responding like this....

No, they'd add an "eh?"

No, they'd add an "eh?"

And self-deprecating irony

and agonizing over maybe letting someone down over a tough decision

Edited by torstar

I'd say language issue, and attempt at humor. He signs off with "best regards", and it seems if he were angry he'd not bother. Whether his info is correct or not, he tries to educate you, and answer your question at the same time. And, as Mr. Rice points out, he did take time to answer you. And if he wanted to be rude, it seems he could have been much been much ruder and more obvious about it. In fairness, it seems your question should appear here as well.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

My perception is a small language barrier, and a larger ego. High prices and indignation at questions are a tough way to do business.

I don't think the language is the barrier here. I've been interested in some pens he's been selling lately and I did look him up here on FPN to nake sure that should I decide to buy from him/her, I'd be safe. It appears that this seller is known for similar responses to enqueries. He appears to be selling good, working pens though.

I bought a pen from him and had an equally challenging answer but mine was polite.

I think it's more a translation error. What he seems to be saying(when he says "...then do not buy my pens") is that his pens are not likely to be defective so you can rely on him for a good quality product. I don't think he meant anything personal.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He seems to be a reputable seller who takes pride in his product. If you want to deal with a really nice guy, buy your pen from Rick Propas, aka the PENguin. My only affiliation is that I met him at the LA Pen Show and bought a few nice Pelikans from him.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Oh Rick is awesome, a pleasure to deal with, very patient and extremely helpful with everything. I couldn't recommend him enough.

Perceptions. I don't find anything about that response to be rude or offensive. I think the statement about buying leaky pens is quite simply and very obviously an attempt at humour. I grew up with people making statements of this type. And it was funny then.

Perceptions.

TL:DR Mountain > Molehill

People of other cultures like fountain pens.

People of alien humor like fountain pens.

People of varying demeanor like fountain pens.

SOB's like fountain pens.

Try not to be "thin-skinned". You share an interest in fountain pens.

You don't have to marry into the family.

I wish to take this opportunity to beg patience and understanding for some of my

sarcastic interjections. I hope you all can forgive any trespasses. Otherwise,

TOUGH ! Pamela loves me. Jenny loves me. My accountant loves me. My

Congressman loves me. :bunny01:

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !