Chicago Pen Show

Roger W.

Chicago Pen Show

The Chicago Pen show is being held at the usual time – April 30-May 3rd. The location has changed as it will be held at the Sheraton O’Hare (6501 N. Mannheim in Rosemont). I’ve been to the hotel and it is very nice and well laid out for a pen show. I’m taking requests for tables now and the rates are lower than last year. Wall tables are $175 and interior tables are $125. The weekend pass is $60 with daily entry on Saturday and Sunday just $6. There is parking right at the hotel which is a little cheaper than the Westin was. There is also a parking structure cattycorner to the hotel that is free.

Nearby (walking) are Nick’s Fish Market, Harry Caray’s, McDonalds and Shoeless Joe’s.

rwootencpa@gmail.com

Checks –

Chicago Pen Show

Roger E. Wooten

10297 Morgan Road

Garden Prairie, IL 61038

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roger W.

• cvasara

• bsenn

• gweimer1

Do we know who will be coming out?

I will as I have a couple pens I want to get fixed but don't have the desire to send to a nibmeister.

I'm planning to be there, but probably only one day - and I'm not yet sure which day.

Do we have FPN name badges?

Marking my calendar but it is a maybe.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

• 3 weeks later...

Being new to the world of Fountain Pens.....How valuable/fun is it to go to a show? I have two Sheaffers that could use a vacu-fil re-do...Is a show somewhere that I could find someone to do the work (or tell me why I shouldn't have it done)?

A show is the best place to immerse yourself into pens. Being online is nothing to the real deal. I can't wait for the show to start. Don and I were working on auction items yesterday and there are some nice pens but, we had to go through a lot so we haven't spent quality time on the auction ones yet. These are pens from estates and what doesn't go in the auction will be on one of three tables in the show. There are still some tables left at an inexpensive $125/$175 this year. We have a lot of folks showing up - the Lotts with their vast parts, Tim Pierson with his cases and cases of selection, Mike Carter, the fountain pen recycler has taken two tables as he has just bought a large collection to bring. I don't want to leave folks out so I'll post more later. As to your question Sherrell Tyree will be there and does excellent repair work on vac-fil Sheaffers.

If you want to come for the 4 days of festivity it is just $60. You can't do a show cheaper than Chicago this year. The Westin was high $ parking and then the $6 to get in. The Sheraton O'Hare has a free parking structure a short walk catty corner to the hotel and then the $6 to get in - you can't beat $6 only and no fee parking in Chicago!

Roger W.

Are there any cheap accommodations nearby?

How nearby? I'm staying out in Palatine, where the rates are much better. It's only about a 20 minute drive or so. Rosemont is probably going to be pretty pricy anywhere near the event. Even the dive motels (the ones O'Hare and the airlines use for free rooms when they mess up your flight) are going to cost more than moving a little further west of Rosemont.

Being new to the world of Fountain Pens.....How valuable/fun is it to go to a show? I have two Sheaffers that could use a vacu-fil re-do...Is a show somewhere that I could find someone to do the work (or tell me why I shouldn't have it done)?

Haven't been to this one, but I had a blast at the ones I've been to -- DCSS and Ohio each of the last two years.

Pen shows are amazing (but can be a little overwhelming). Rows upon rows of tables full of pen trays, plus ink, repair people, parts, ephemera....

Got pens, ink, supplies, notebooks and tools. Got to meet some of the people I only know through reading their posts. Had some repairs done (nothing like while-you wait service -- although for some of the better known people you may have to sign up on a waiting list)

Wear comfortable shoes. Have a budget. Bring cash (a lot of the dealers may not take credit cards). See if there's any classes to sign up for (always really useful). Have some sort of game plan (say, looking for a specific brand or model -- no point looking at a table full of Vacumatics when you really want a MB 146) but be prepared to have your opinion changed about what you want. That's how I ended up with a really sweet writing Morrison ringtop the first year I went to DCSS.

You may want to go with someone, to kinda touch base with and help you scope out pens on the other side of the room from where you are (although the flip side may be that you end up going with someone who is a total enabler.

Also, take breaks. Keep yourself hydrated. Relax -- there will always be another table, and that next one might just have the perfect pen for you (so don't panic if the first few rows don't have what you're looking for). Overall, have fun, talk to folks, and be prepared to learn and see a lot.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Are there any cheap accommodations nearby?

I am staying at a Super8 about 6 miles to the south.

Rates are reasonable. There are other hotel/motels you just have to find what you like.

I will be there Sat. & Sun. all day. I should take in a couple of the workshops on Sat. for more information.

Edited by JotterAddict62

If you are planning on staying in a motel/hotel south of the show, research the area the hotel is in. Some of the hotels are in nice areas, some not so nice.

Just sayin' . . .

Im considering attending. It would be my first pen show. Couple questions- First- why is the weekend price $60 when each day is $6? I'm sure something else is included that way??

Also- the kids program intended I think on Sunday- does anyone know the topic &/or age range for it? Thinking of bringing my 10 year old along...

We turn not older with years, but newer with days. ~ Emily Dickinson

Hoping to be able to come!!

Photomama;

Weekend means people that want to be there Thursday through Sunday. "Public days" are Saturday and Sunday at $6. A ten year old would be great even my 6 year olds (twins) enjoyed it last year and I had the 11 and 13 year olds with as well (mom got the day off from the four boys - I know, I know - poor mom, four boys). Kids program covers using a fountain pen, how to handle it - basic stuff you'd show about anybody that never saw one. Kids can ask whatever questions occurs to them which is always the fun. We'd love to see you there as it should be a very good show.

Roger W.

I haven't been to the Chicago Pen Show in about 8 or 9 years, (I haven't logged onto FPN for about 2 years), but the wife and I are thinking about burning some hotel points and going to the Chi Show for a day or two this year. I do have a few questions, that I hope Roger or others might be able to answer.

1- what can we attend for the $6 admission on Saturday? Any of the workshops? That would be a bargain.

2- I know that for the Sunday admission, that we can browse and buy pens, parts, etc. My question is, can we bring in pens, vintage inks, and that sort of thing in a rollaboard, or suitcase that dealers and others might be interested in buying? I have attended many sports collectors shows, and as a dealer at them, it always rubbed me the wrong way, that the non-table holders could sell to other attendees right in front of my table. Ok though if they were going to sell to me, or another dealer. But still, I don't want cause a problem with a dealer, who has paid for that table, if I open my case and sell a few old Skrip or Quink inks, or Sheaffer pens, in front of a dealer's table.

3- I use 3 or 4 different pens every day, (Always with vintage Skrip Black ink), so I have lost all concept of what pens and vintage inks sell for these days. Can I get an idea of values of some of the things I just don't use, or have never used, that I have from a dealer, or perhaps a table that will assess what a walk-in might have? I had Sherrell Tyree restore several old pens on my last visit to the show, and when I received them back, wrapped in a nice grey paper wrapping and a ribbon on them, I still haven't opened a few of them. They are still that way.

This has gone on far too long, but if anyone has read this far, and can answer a couple of my questions, I certainly would appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.

The $6 does get you into everything that is going on Saturday - workshops included.

Point 2 interesting. I don't think it has been a big problem and dealers often look to buy pens from people that bring them in. I think we are all good with that. I would find it real odd if someone were making deals infront of a table that was not a table holder - I think we'd have a problem there but, I'm not real sure that is likely.

Point 3 I'd just say that any dealer is likely to give you a spot appraisal/offer to buy a pen. There is not an appraisal/reference table and I've never heard of such though some dealers may be more willing just to speculate on what something might be worth without giving you an offer.

I liked your questions!

Roger W.

I don't know what all the people coming do, most of them but, someone asked about nib grinding and Mike with Indy-Pen-Dance will be here doing that. Joel Hamilton and his sister Sherryl Tyree do pen repair and they will be with us. Undoubtedly some of the other folks are clever is such lines as well I just don't know it yet. I've always been at the show looking for vintage Sheaffer so it has ill prepared me to be a host and let you all know everything you'd like to know. Great stuff is going to be in the auction though and will be up for viewing in the next few days.

Roger W.

Hi Roger, thanks for organizing the show. This will be my first ever pen show. Looking forward to it!

I am planning on driving up to Chicago Friday afternoon and go to the show on Saturday. I know the admission will be $6 for the day. Meanwhile, I also want to participate in the auction Friday night since I will be able to make it. Does that mean I need to buy the $60 weekend pass? Or I don't need to buy a ticket to get to the auction?

Thanks!

Here is the list of vendors attending at this point -

Adair, Jerry Krut, Mike Lynch, Jack Ryan, Jim Conterato, Paul Lavin, Don Wooten, Roger Dolive, Jimmy Ziskind, Alex Bulbulian, Francis Pierson, Tim Alaniz, Arnie Anderson, Brian and Lisa Beebe, Dale Bittner, Detlef Crescioni, Frank Carter, Mike Cerf, Nathaniel Colton, John - Omas Pens Cromwell, Roger (1 Steve Mandell) Everett, Bob Ferguson, David Foreman, John Goldman, Steve and Vicki Granek, Warren Gross, Allen Hamilton, Joel & Sherryl Tyree Highsmith, Sam Himatlal, Rajesh Hoban, Frank Kenro Larsen, Steve Lehrer, Gary and Myrna Lott, Richard Lott, Rob & Rita Lowe, Joe Miller, Pierre Mindrup, Bruce Mohan, Pat Nix, Dayne PB Auction Galleries Radtke, Richard (Wooster's/Paradice) Reppert, Dan and Cyndie Salmons, Lisa Sumer, Osman Terry Mowhorter Tischler, Miroslav Tran, An Ushkow, Dave Veley, Jon Weakly, Bill Spidell/Lasher Mawhorter, Terry Davis, Hirsch Perlson, Judd Edison Pen Company, Brian Kirby, Pete Kennedy, Mike and Linda Indy-Pen-Dance Harrington, Cliff Auction Preview Erano, Paul Magnon, Ron Rabinowitz, Harvey Laban Pens Kullock