What Snorkel Model Should I Get?

Nathaniel Harter

I have no experience with snorkels, but with the recent threads about them, I've decided to look a little closer. On Sunday, Rick Krantz is going to lay half a dozen or more of his restored snorkels in front of me to try and compare. I know what I like in vintage and modern pens, so it'll be interesting to see if I take one home. I'll be wanting a writer, not a collection of every color and variation. Triumph style nibs look cool, but I've never found one I liked as a writer. Perhaps I'll luck out!

Fred

I wrote with six pens and ignored color and style of nib. I finally settled on this one, a fine but quite smooth! It's just black, so my membership in the Black Pen Society is strengthened. My only snorkel-filler. Will a PFM3 be in my future?

2015_%25204_%25206_10_10.jpg

Fred

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Happy Harry

• JonSzanto

• FredRydr

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the looks of the Valiant with the 14K two tone nib. However, I had a Statesman with the Silver conical nib and it was terrific. It eventually blew it's rings and and I never repaired it.

I like the looks of the Valiant with the 14K two tone nib. However, I had a Statesman with the Silver conical nib and it was terrific. It eventually blew it's rings and and I never repaired it.

Yep, one of my favorites, especially with the section in the pen color, like this one:

post-82790-0-40264100-1429748936_thumb.jpg

3 Snorkels & 3 Touchdowns.

Admiral Snorkel (a.k.a. AL PETERSON)

Crest Snorkel (a.k.a Don Monson)

Clipper Snorkel

(I think, could be wrong)

Statesman Touchdown (earlier fatter version)

Sentinel Touchdown

Valiant Touchdown

The best of the lot is the Clipper and is the one I most use. The Valiant has been stubbed and also sees quite a bit of action.

The Admiral has some spring to it but the Statesmen has genuine flex. Much more than my Pelikan 400nn and almost as as easy a flex as my Waterman. It oddly is also very stub like to begin with with very narrow cross strokes.

post-115445-0-12967400-1429757826_thumb.jpg

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

They all can be wonderful writers, but when there are so many out there in other pens, why have a Snorkel with an open nib when you can have the conical nib and make it truly an iconic Sheaffer? When they are good, those Triumph nibs are just amazing.

And if you are getting a Snorkle because of the allure or fascination with the Snorkle filling system, you simply have to end up with a PFM as well. It just is the right thing to do. :)

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Because Admirals can be had for very cheap all over the place and have excellent 14 k nibs. They are probably the best bargain in vintage pens and eat the boring ugly Parker 45 for lunch at the same price or less.

And because, as much as I love a Triumph nib, the next time I find one that is as springy as that Admiral or a genuine flex nib like that TD Statesman will be the first.

I love people who think like you. You are the reason I can get a great TD/Snorkel with a gold nib for $30. Please keep looking past those two tone #5 nibs and the other open nibs.

:)

They all can be wonderful writers, but when there are so many out there in other pens, why have a Snorkel with an open nib when you can have the conical nib and make it truly an iconic Sheaffer? When they are good, those Triumph nibs are just amazing.

Because Admirals can be had for very cheap all over the place and have excellent 14 k nibs. They are probably the best bargain in vintage pens and eat the boring ugly Parker 45 for lunch at the same price or less.

And because, as much as I love a Triumph nib, the next time I find one that is as springy as that Admiral or a genuine flex nib like that TD Statesman will be the first.

I love people who think like you. You are the reason I can get a great TD/Snorkel with a gold nib for $30. Please keep looking past those two tone #5 nibs and the other open nibs.

:)

I'm happy to help anyway I can, especially when all some people want to do is buy a cheap pen above all else. If I want spring in a nib, I can reach for any number of fine, "open" style nib pens I have; wrt the nailish stature of most of the Triumph nib, it's a feature, not a bug. For me, at least, you do what you want.

I've got oodles of other, older Sheaffer pens with their great earlier nibs, so have fun scooping up all the hold-overs into the 1950's. As they say, it's all good.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I never said I love cheap pens above all else or that was my only criteria. You are putting words in my mouth. I am just saying that the open nib pens of the era are often excellent, overlooked great bargains and great writers.

I love the Triumph nibs as you can see in my picture above. I have more of those than any, even more than open or inlaid Sheaffers. They are great.

But sometimes you want a line like this (only obviously prettier (sorry did this fast to respond and currently in a lot of pain) ).

post-115445-0-29326100-1429765537_thumb.jpg

Because Admirals can be had for very cheap...

I never said I love cheap pens above all else or that was my only criteria. You are putting words in my mouth.

I was merely going by the very first words you typed. Of course, you have other criteria, but you reiterated later that it was people like me preferring the others that allow you to get those pens... at a low cost. How's that?

Sorry about the pain, I hope that goes away. I've dealt with times like that, and it can make life very much not fun.

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'll let what I wrote stand. Anyone who wants to can read it.

I'll let what I wrote stand. Anyone who wants to can read it.

Of course they can. Hope you feel better.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thank you. It will pass.

Actually reading it back I regret that turn of phrase "people like you" I actually hate that I wrote it that way. It reads way snottier than I intended, I should merely have said "that kind of reasoning." it is irking me and I can't let it pass so let me just apologize for that part of what I said. I wish I hadn't worded it that way. Gross. Apologies. My main point is that the open nib pens were somewhat overlooked and can be great writers with properties the triumph nibs rarely have.

My kingdom for a Triumph nib in B or factory stub.

Yep, one of my favorites, especially with the section in the pen color, like this one:

attachicon.gifDSC_0883.jpg

Robert,

Must be a good writer, it is green.

Farmboy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Actually reading it back I regret that turn of phrase "people like you" I actually hate that I wrote it that way. It reads way snottier than I intended, I should merely have said "that kind of reasoning." it is irking me and I can't let it pass so let me just apologize for that part of what I said. I wish I hadn't worded it that way. Gross. Apologies. My main point is that the open nib pens were somewhat overlooked and can be great writers with properties the triumph nibs rarely have.

My kingdom for a Triumph nib in B or factory stub.

No worries at all. Like 99% of everything typed on the Internet, if we had been having this discussion over coffee or a drink, we'd know exactly what each other meant! And I understand your reasoning for the open nib pens, and it makes perfectly good sense. Water under the bridge! :)

~ Benjamin Franklin

But, the green ones aren't ripe. And I haven't seen a pastel red one. You'd think there'd be some kind of color transition.

That makes no sense.

The green ones turn yellow. Then the monkeys get 'em before you ever see them.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I never said I love cheap pens above all else or that was my only criteria. You are putting words in my mouth. I am just saying that the open nib pens of the era are often excellent, overlooked great bargains and great writers.

I love the Triumph nibs as you can see in my picture above. I have more of those than any, even more than open or inlaid Sheaffers. They are great.

But sometimes you want a line like this (only obviously prettier (sorry did this fast to respond and currently in a lot of pain) ).

I want to correct the implication here that Snorkel Triumph nibs are necessarily rigid. They were available in, and are found in, several quite flexible varieties.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I would like to meet such a monkey someday. I have heard talk of wiggly Triumph nibs but have not seen such a beast in either the jungle or the zoo.

I hear crazy talk of factory stubs and B nibs. Those I have seen in the zoo, but have yet to encounter one directly. I envy those who have.

I want to correct the implication here that Snorkel Triumph nibs are necessarily rigid. They were available in, and are found in, several quite flexible varieties.

--Daniel

--Daniel

I may have added to that notion with the way I wrote about the nibs. You are correct, but unless I am mistaken, the flexible Triumphs are a very, very small percentage of the nibs made, and are rare to come across. And usually cost one dearly for the function. I suppose I was referring to what one can realistically expect to find, rather than what was manufactured.

~ Benjamin Franklin