My Italic In Progress

Maurizio

I did a quick piece for my son's 6th grade class & thought I'd post it here. The subject of old writing came up and he said his father does calligraphy. I've been reading and sometimes contributing to this forum for a couple of years and especially enjoy Caliken's contributions to this forum; even though not perfect, I thought I'd finally show the world.

I'm still annoyed at how amateurish it looks. I practice only intermittantly, busy work life prevents daily practice, but try to get at least a half hour to 45 minutes in every weekend; so even with that amount of practice I think I should be better. I'm not a neat handwriter so it takes me even more effort than for someone who has what I call naturally neat handwriting.

Looking at it just makes me what to strive even more for perfection.

I have used Eleanor Winters' excellent book Calligraphy in 10 Easy Lessons, but don't blame my teacher for my imperfections.

The pen used is an old English Osmiroid with a 2.3 nib. Ink is Private Reserve Cosmic Cobolt. Paper is wausau Royal Resource with 30% recycled fiber.

Edited by Maurizio

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maurizio

• dms525

• linearM

• brunico

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Your italic hand is better than mine. Even though I'm retired I don't really take time, but like you do it intermittently. I've used calligraphy books at times but found a script style in a little Penguin book of Script Styles given me by a friend. It had an Italian script from the 1520's that I've tried emulating, rather fun.

You have very nice letter forms but it looks like you and I both have the same problem with spacing between letters and getting it even. We also both use Wausau Paper. My stationery is Wausau Astroparche, a fountain pen paper with a nice surface. Enjoy and keep up the good work.

Edited by linearM

Don't be too hard on yourself, Maurizio. This is very creditable.

Your slope is consistent, but letter sizes and spacing are a little unsure. I say unsure, because more even writing will come with practice and confidence, and with not having to think so much about each letter. Hardly anyone will get all these things perfect right from the start. Even though I've written with a basically italic hand from beginning school, doing more calligraphic writing, especially with a larger nib size, isn't easy for me either. I've also picked up bad habits over the years, so you're probably in a better position than I am to make improvements.

There's a page on the Calligraphy Skills site that has some helpful pointers about spacing and consistency.

I'd suggest leaving out the chancery-style flourishes for now, especially on capitals. They will come naturally, and in your own style, as you progress. However, I have to say yours don't look stilted: they flow in and out of the letters, whereas with some beginners they look like add-ons.

Thanks for sharing, Maurizio.

Your letter forms are generally consistent. The biggest issue I see is that many of your descenders are too long. Generally, aside from exuberant flourishing, descenders (and ascenders) should be the same as the x-height. Another issue is entry and (especially) exit strokes. For example, look at the next to the last line of your second scan and compare the exit strokes of the final "n's" in "pain" and in "gain." The one in "gain" is a sharp angle. Not so good. The exit stroke in "pain" is a nice curve.

Spacing is still an issue, as has been mentioned. Given the limited time you have for practice, I suggest you choose a specific goal for each session - for example, letter spacing. If you have one of Lloyd Reynolds' books of exercises, in most editions, Plates 4. & 5. have good word lists for working on letter spacing. Reflective practice does help.

Happy writing!

David

Thank you gentleman for your encouraging comments. I wish I could dedicate at least 30 minutes daily to this practice. Today being a weekend, I did another bit of practice trying to concentrate 1st on consistency of form, and 2nd on spacing. I attached the third sample to my OP. Image is worse than the first 2 for some reason.

Paper is Clairefontaine. Pen & ink same as OP.

Both of these were written on Tomoe River paper. Both pens are fitted with custom-ground cursive italic nibs.

David

Very nice and impressive David. Looks like a page from Fred Eager's book. Did you do that freehand with no lines, or with a lightbox? If the former, even more impressive.

Maurizio

Very nice and impressive David. Looks like a page from Fred Eager's book. Did you do that freehand with no lines, or with a lightbox? If the former, even more impressive.

Maurizio

Thanks, Maurizio! Both samples were written without guidelines. Keeping text lined up and keeping lines from drifting is still a challenge, but it is getting a bit easier (after a gazillion hours of practice).

David