My Next Ink - Need Some Free Advice :)

sannidh

My fellow FPNers, I need some quick advice on my next ink. I want it to be lighter than brown - in color but not intensity.

I use a MB toffee brown, sailor red grenade (both dark shades) and I am currently looking for a lighter shade [in red spectrum].

I use Fine to Medium (both Asian & European) nibbed pens + a few italic ones

Could short list a few inks: (Want to go for a orangish - amber shade)

1) Pelikan Edelstein Amber

2) Diamine Orange

3) Diamine Amber (Does it lack intensity)

4) Sailor Apricot (A few old pieces might be left with my old shop)

5) J. Herbin Orange Indien

I am leaving the iroshizuku inks for now (as shipping will take some time)..

I will appreciate your experience with these inks (both bad (first) and good :) )

Best,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Misfit

• migo984

• Jeff_H

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Edelstein Amber and the J Herbin Orange Indien. Both inks behave well. The Amber has some shading (I used it with Lamy italic 1.5mm nib).

If you want a true orange, of these two, then the J Herbin. But the Edelstein Amber is really nice. I like the color.

Edited by Misfit
Posted Image

I have the Edelstein Amber and the J Herbin Orange Indien. Both inks behave well. The Amber has some shading (I used it with Lamy italic 1.5mm nib).

If you want a true orange, of these two, then the J Herbin. But the Edelstein Amber is really nice. I like the color.

Oh nice & thank you..How does J.H Orange Indien compare to Sailor Jentle apricot?

Does the Edelstien Amber darken over time?

Edited by soniknitr

I know you said you were leaving out Iroshizuku inks for now, but Horsetail may be just what you're looking for. It's lighter than MB Toffee, I have both, and it's base tint is in the red family. Whenever I rinse a nib that has Horsetail in it, I am always struck by the brownish red tinge the ink has when it breaks down.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

J. Herbin's Ambre de Birmanie? I have the Edelstein Amber & prefer the Herbin for it's greater shading( @ least in my wide nibbed pens.) I prefer the Sailor Apricot to the Indien. The Indien is a very "brown" orange (to my eye) while the Apricot is a more cheerful & truer "orange" for me.

What you describe you want sounds like Noodler's Apache Sunset would be a perfect fit for that orange-amber color. It is an orange with a lot of yellow in it. Not sure what availability is where you are though.

Shades like crazy too - if you like that.

If you want something more to the browns - check out the TOD - Brown thread. (Check the red too)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I know you said you were leaving out Iroshizuku inks for now, but Horsetail may be just what you're looking for. It's lighter than MB Toffee, I have both, and it's base tint is in the red family. Whenever I rinse a nib that has Horsetail in it, I am always struck by the brownish red tinge the ink has when it breaks down.

Thanks Jeff for sharing your experience. I guess the Japanese name Tsukushi? I will check with Raul if he has some stock left in India :)

I love Iroshizuku inks but I have to order them from Japan. (And there is a risk of broken bottles again and hassles of followups for replacement stuff).

Edited by soniknitr

J. Herbin's Ambre de Birmanie? I have the Edelstein Amber & prefer the Herbin for it's greater shading( @ least in my wide nibbed pens.) I prefer the Sailor Apricot to the Indien. The Indien is a very "brown" orange (to my eye) while the Apricot is a more cheerful & truer "orange" for me.

Thank you for letting me know that. I guess a bit cheerful color will be a nice addition. (I was confused between JH Indien & Sailor Apricot) :)

What you describe you want sounds like Noodler's Apache Sunset would be a perfect fit for that orange-amber color. It is an orange with a lot of yellow in it. Not sure what availability is where you are though.

Shades like crazy too - if you like that.

If you want something more to the browns - check out the TOD - Brown thread. (Check the red too)

Thank you. You are spot on !

Thanks to FPN facebook group, I will be getting the apache sunset anyway :) (I will ask my cousin to bring it along)

Are noodlers easily available in local stores (in Seattle or NYC)? (not online)

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

So funny you mention this. Just last night I was looking at Pelikan Edelstein Amber! Could be my next ink as well.

My fellow FPNers, I need some quick advice on my next ink. I want it to be lighter than brown - in color but not intensity.

I use a MB toffee brown, sailor red grenade (both dark shades) and I am currently looking for a lighter shade [in red spectrum].

I use Fine to Medium (both Asian & European) nibbed pens + a few italic ones

Could short list a few inks: (Want to go for a orangish - amber shade)

1) Pelikan Edelstein Amber

Best,

Sonik

Best orange post I have ever seen :)

Thank you.

I have decided for Diamine orange and noodlers apache sunset for now !

well orange inks huh... a lot... I cant list them all down though

unless you stick with your local market and not on ebay then Diamine Marigold if you can get one

Thanks Algester! I have ordered Diamine Orange locally.

I will check about marigold. I have become a fan of Noodler's apache sunset though :)

So funny you mention this. Just last night I was looking at Pelikan Edelstein Amber! Could be my next ink as well.

I was checking with a few shops here..Amber was released for a limited time and might have run out of stock :)

This is what FPNer Ronald Ng shared with me in FB for Noodlers apache sunset (just in case you don't have it already :D )

http://s25.postimg.org/ivut9oi7j/11043395_10153235877995649_509169221636276796_o.jpg