Strange Question

siovale

Following a recommendation from a FPN member, I bought a Faber-Castell e-Motion pen with a barrel that is part wood. It's a lovely pen, but I was wondering if anyone ever uses any kind of wax (and which wax) on the wooden barrels of their pens so that the finish is even smoother.

If you do use some kind of wax, could you please give the type and maybe even brand name that would work well?

Thank you, as always, for your help. :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• siovale

• sharonspens

• Manalto

• Fountain Pen Mike

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I'm just here to tell you that your question isn't strange; in fact, it's a logical inquiry about the maintenance of a wooden pen that will be in contact with natural oils from the hand. I too will be interested to see how to properly care for your new pen.

James

I've never felt inclined to put any sort of wax finish on my F-C Ambition - I contemplated some kind of sealant as I work with cars and oils and wood are not a good combination but the way the wood feels as-is is quite nice, so I have resisted that urge.

I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you. I'm just here to tell you that your question isn't strange; in fact, it's a logical inquiry about the maintenance of a wooden pen that will be in contact with natural oils from the hand. I too will be interested to see how to properly care for your new pen.

As a newbie to the fountain pen world, I know that my knowledge is woefully inadequate so am grateful to all the members of FPN for helping me out.

I've never felt inclined to put any sort of wax finish on my F-C Ambition - I contemplated some kind of sealant as I work with cars and oils and wood are not a good combination but the way the wood feels as-is is quite nice, so I have resisted that urge.

Strong will power. :) I just like the satin feel of some natural wood finishes - not varnishes or anything, but just that really smooth feeling and was hoping someone had found a good product to enhance our pens' wooden accents.

Without having done much research, I have a strong suspicion that the wood finish on these Faber Castells will, over time, gain a natural patina without any extra treatment. I've also got the pear wood E-Motion, it's only about a month old, and I already really miss the gorgeous smell it had the first week I had it.

Edited by I.M.

Years ago when I was smoking a pipe and wanted to preserve the wood the best advice I got was to use the oil from my forehead and the sides of my nose and rub it into the wood. You can only get a smal amount of oil but that's good. It will prevent you from saturating the pipe or pen. Now to jump across cultural walls. I have a wooden pen (no name etc) and it writes well and I use it. Now I do the same thing with the pen. It looks and feels marvelous and it never looks dried out. As with the pipe I would hesitate to use any wax or polish on it. Wood is organic and needs to breathe and the body oil allows it to do that. It will develop a patina in its own good time from the oil and being constantly used.

Without having done much research, I have a strong suspicion that the wood finish on these Faber Castells will, over time, gain a natural patina without any extra treatment. I've also got the pear wood E-Motion, it's only about a month old, and I already really miss the gorgeous smell it had the first week I had it.

Yes! This is the one I have:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTg3WDY1MA==/z/Vr8AAOxydlFS~fu9/$_35.JPG

Haven't noticed the smell, but will follow Extremely Rare's advice. Will wait and see what time and handling will do.

Years ago when I was smoking a pipe and wanted to preserve the wood the best advice I got was to use the oil from my forehead and the sides of my nose and rub it into the wood. You can only get a smal amount of oil but that's good. It will prevent you from saturating the pipe or pen. Now to jump across cultural walls. I have a wooden pen (no name etc) and it writes well and I use it. Now I do the same thing with the pen. It looks and feels marvelous and it never looks dried out. As with the pipe I would hesitate to use any wax or polish on it. Wood is organic and needs to breathe and the body oil allows it to do that. It will develop a patina in its own good time from the oil and being constantly used.

Great advice. Thank you. Will give the pen time and see what handling it will do. :)

If you do want a wax for the wood I would look for a pure or nearly pure Carnauba wax. Carnauba is routinely used for furniture and wood floors, it is a very hard paste wax. You can get it at most better hardware stores and auto parts stores.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Edited by sharonspens

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

I also used oil from my face, from around the nose, on a wooden pen. It did a great job keeping that pen looking good (a burled maple, if I recall correctly).

Sharon in Indiana

Wax on a good pipe was a no-no....follow that fellas advice.

Now for the hard part.....don't buy but one pen a year....so your wood gets 'oiled' properly. Can't oil what you are not using.

I need to use my P-75 more....to get the classic silver gray a bit back....remove a tad of tarnish 'naturally' .....using a polish cloth would make it look like a chrome pen :doh: ....and removes the 'black' lines to the grid. Yep, for the gunmetal gray I like on it....just rubbing my fingers on it or an occasional flannel cloth (no polish) gets me that attractive old silver look I like.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Wax on a good pipe was a no-no....follow that fellas advice.

Now for the hard part.....don't buy but one pen a year....so your wood gets 'oiled' properly. Can't oil what you are not using.

I need to use my P-75 more....to get the classic silver gray a bit back....remove a tad of tarnish 'naturally' .....using a polish cloth would make it look like a chrome pen :doh: ....and removes the 'black' lines to the grid. Yep, for the gunmetal gray I like on it....just rubbing my fingers on it or an occasional flannel cloth (no polish) gets me that attractive old silver look I like.

One pen a year? I just bought three pens in a month. LOL And, yes, I use them all. I rotate them every day. Funny how fountain pens are so mesmerizing, even addictive. I don't know if it's the rainbow of available ink colours, or the feel of different nibs, the pens themselves and their different shapes, textures, weights, etc.... All I know is that I love all my fountain pens. :)

Edited by siovale

If you do want a wax for the wood I would look for a pure or nearly pure Carnauba wax. Carnauba is routinely used for furniture and wood floors, it is a very hard paste wax. You can get it at most better hardware stores and auto parts stores.

Is it sticky?

I also used oil from my face, from around the nose, on a wooden pen. It did a great job keeping that pen looking good (a burled maple, if I recall correctly).

Sharon in Indiana

Looks like human oil, use and time will do the trick, but I am intrigued by the Carnauba wax.

Oil will darken wood and wax tends to slow that process down. Carnauba is not at all sticky. Buff it and it produces a soft glow and a silky-smooth finish. Would it be possible to ask the manufacturer what they recommend?

Edited by Manalto

James

Sometimes, when you ask a "strange question", you get strange answers. I will be watching, at pen shows,

for people rubbing fountain pens against the face and side of the nose. :lticaptd:

Seriously, however, your inquiry is more a woodworking one. My brother makes music boxes, and humidors.

He once hand-carved a set of wooden stocks for a heavy, revolver. Custom contours, and the wood warming

to his hand, made the gun very pleasant to shoot.

RAMBLE-RAMBLE-RAMBLE . Get to the point ! I support the "no treatment" position. Enjoy the natural feel of

the precious wood. Let the natural oils of your hand impart the patina and personal character.

Write with joy.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Oil will darken wood and wax tends to slow that process down. Carnauba is not at all sticky. Buff it and it produces a soft glow and a silky-smooth finish. Would it be possible to ask the manufacturer what they recommend?

Good idea. I'll try and find the HQ email and ask the company. Will post the answer here, if and when they reply.