Lately ASA has released lot of pens and believe they will be coming up with lot more in near future.

And today I am reviewing another great pen by them which is ASA Patriot. My detailed review is also shown at wordpress page here Link

img_20150306_1526502.jpg

ASA Patriot

I had my eyes on Gama Eyas / Gama Hawk for a quite a long time because i wanted an ebonite pen with the rounded top and bottoms. I was just about to buy the pen and then ASA came out with this beauty named PATRIOT and i quickly grabbed the same.

DESIGN & BUILT:

The pen is a regular sized pen and comes in 5 color options, shiny black, matte black, light brown rippled, dark brown rippled and green rippled finish. Its a regular sized pen which comes with JoWo nib options of F, M , B and 1.1 Italic size. The pen that i reviewed today comes with 1.1 Italic nib.

img_20150306_1432092.jpg

ASA Patriot with 1.1 JoWo Itaic nib

It has a clean and minimalist design. The pen open in 2 and half turns which I beleive is the highlight of the pen being an Indian pen.

The top and bottom of pen are rounded which are quite nicely done and has been paid lot of attention as it is a handmade pen.

img_20150306_1427572.jpg

ASA Patriot - Top of Cap and Bottom of Barrel

img_20150306_1538022.jpg

ASA Patriot - Uncapped

The section of the pen is finished in black shiny finish which is quite okay and provides for sturdy grip. However i would have liked it even more if the section would also have been given a matte finish.

Below is the image which shows the pen broken down in to parts, which shows the Schmidt K5 converter also.

img_20150306_1434592.jpg

ASA Patriot - Taken apart

The Clip is chrome finished and quite sturdy and the O ring of the clip is well hidden by the rounded cap top. (Update: these are push in type clips, thus no O ring )The Also i got an option to engrave my name on the pen and i opted for the same to be done at the cap which really adds to the beauty of pen.

img_20150306_1431282.jpg

ASA Patriot - Sturdy Clip

img_20150306_1528072.jpg

ASA Patriot - Name Engraving

As mentioned earlier the pen is the regular sized pen and below are the few images to show the comparison against various pens.

img_20150306_1438512.jpg

ASA I Can vs ASA Patriot vs Pilot Metropolitan vs Sheaffer No Nonsense - Capped

img_20150306_1442552.jpg

ASA I Can vs ASA Patriot vs Pilot Metropolitan vs Sheaffer No Nonsense - Uncapped

This is a well designed pen which is just a class apart in built quality. Actually its a no fuss design.

For the detailed review and more images along with the writing sample please follow the link : ASA PATRIOT

Edited by mehandiratta

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mehandiratta

• AD64

• hari317

• Dupontdelamare

The clip on these pens does not have a washer (the round part of the typical clipwhich you referred to as the O-ring), these are push in type clips. These clips are pushed into a axial keyway cut on the inner wall of the cap. To remove, you just unscrew the cap top and simply push the clip out. HTH.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Good review of a nice pen.

I have one question though, is the section ebonite or plastic

Edited by vig2432

Vi veri veniversum vivus vici

Good review of a nice.

I have one question though, is the section ebonite or plastic

Section is Ebonite ... feed is plastic...

vaibhav mehandiratta

The clip on these pens does not have a washer (the round part of the typical clipwhich you referred to as the O-ring), these are push in type clips. These clips are pushed into a axial keyway cut on the inner wall of the cap. To remove, you just unscrew the cap top and simply push the clip out. HTH.

oh i thought the other way.... thanks for the update...

vaibhav mehandiratta

Good review. I'm interested to know how the ink flow will be in ED mode near the end of the tank.

Will update you ... currently i am using it with converter....will update you next week..

vaibhav mehandiratta

I ordered one as soon as I clapped eyes in it. But it's been three weeks, and according to tracking the parcel hasn't even left India yet. I wrote Asapens asking for any word, but they didn't reply...I was looking forward to this one.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I ordered one as soon as I clapped eyes in it. But it's been three weeks, and according to tracking the parcel hasn't even left India yet. I wrote Asapens asking for any word, but they didn't reply...I was looking forward to this one.

I guess your pen has been shipped using India Postal Service. If I'm correct and you are looking at India post tracking then I would simply say, don't worry about it. If it is registered airmail then I never found it is updated on time. you may get your pen in couple of days and you will be amazed to see the tracking details that your item still has not left India :)

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

The India post tracking system has been misleading in a few instances: the tracking number provided would show No Information right until the package was dropped in my mailbox or picked up at my local post office. In such cases, it turned out there was actually another tracking number, as evidenced by a sticker on the package, and this was the number the mailing system used. Meanwhile the number that the shipper had given me was on the package too - on a different sticker. In such cases it never became clear why there were two different tracking numbers, or why the postal system used another number than the one they had first given the shipper. But at least my pens got here, and in about average travel time.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

The same thing happened with my Amex card...

vaibhav mehandiratta

thanks for the review. nice close-up shots of the pen. real neat penmanship too :thumbup:

-rudy-

thanks for the review. nice close-up shots of the pen. real neat penmanship too :thumbup:

thank you for appreciation

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Vaibhav for the review. The pen is certainly handsome looking and with the JoWo nib, it should write well, though you have used the 1.1 italics. I have also read the detailed review on the Wordpress site. Just ordered mine today. Will post my views and experience of the 'M' nibe.

I wear my Pen as others do their Sword.

John Oldham

Thank you, Vaibhav for the review. The pen is certainly handsome looking and with the JoWo nib, it should write well, though you have used the 1.1 italics. I have also read the detailed review on the Wordpress site. Just ordered mine today. Will post my views and experience of the 'M' nibe.

Yeah it writes pretty smooth for a 1.1 stub nib... Love it... Thank you for liking the review

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 4 months later...

Good review Mr. Mehandiratta. Did you get your Swan? I ordered mine and I am waiting for it with a bated breath!!

Good review Mr. Mehandiratta. Did you get your Swan? I ordered mine and I am waiting for it with a bated breath!!

Yes I did... Will be reviewing it soon... Also you have been away... How u have been

vaibhav mehandiratta

• 3 months later...

Oh yes. A beautifully made instrument !! Lovely to write with. Has become one of my favourites ever since it has come. Mine is with a 1.1 Jowo too. Smooth wet flow. Beautiful.