Is It Really Possible That The Pelikan M200 Is Better Than The Pilot Custom 74 Or 92?

lurcho

I know it's a steel nib being compared to two greatly-respected 14K nibs, but I base the question on offline discussions with two knowledgeable guys with strongly-expreseed views!.

(I should point out that I had a very bad experience with the M200 nib, which replacement didn't fix. But the reputation is so good, with many saying the steel M200 nib is superior to M400 gold nibs, that I must have had duds.)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank C

• Ste_S

• lurcho

• parnesh

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Pelikan M215 and a Pilot CH 92. I would say they are equals in almost every way. My Pelikan EF writes nearly the same as my FM Pilot both in line width and springiness. And I would say that at this point in time, I do favor the steel nib over my M400, M60x, and M800 nibs. I only give the edge to my M215 in the looks department. The M215 Lozenge is a nicer looking pen than my CH92's.

Yea. I can't compare any of my pens (including my Sailor 1911, Pilot custom 74 or heritage 92) to my M200. I love it, and it is my go to writer when I want to write with a smoooth nib.

I have several M200s and several Custom 74s. I like them both, but I use the Custom 74s more often. The 74s are transparent; I can easily keep track of the ink volume, although it is not difficult with any Pelikan. I do prefer the nibs on the Pilots. but as JAR says, it depends on the individual pen and the individual user.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Individual preference but the nibs on the Pilot pens are AWESOME! My 215 will soon be sold off because I don't use it any more.

I have several M200s and several Custom 74s. I like them both, but I use the Custom 74s more often. The 74s are transparent; I can easily keep track of the ink volume, although it is not difficult with any Pelikan. I do prefer the nibs on the Pilots. but as JAR says, it depends on the individual pen and the individual user.

Get a M200 Cognac Demo or the Green/Yellow Duo's. Best of both worlds !

You can`t compare two models just like that. What nib size are we discussing here? The SFM PIlot nib is definitely better(for me) than the M200 fine nib, and i imagine the same applies for the SM version and medium nib from Pelikan. Both nibs are responsive and slightly wet(6/10). One advantage for me was that i didn`t have to tweak the Pilot nib as i had to do with the Pelikan nib.

As far as the overall appearance, i would have to say that the Pelikan looks and feels slightly better than the C74. Can`t say way, maybe the plastics are better on the Pelikan and the piston filler looks more extravagant in comparison with the plain cartridge-using Pilot. Pelikan has an ink window, which is very useful, but the Pilot is slightly larger, some people might like that.

I would still buy the Pilot over the Pelikan, though, because of the better nib.

Edited by rochester21

I keep telling myself I'll have to ink my Pelikan M205 again some time. The EF nib was quite nice, but is becoming a memory. I've had a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 and/or CH 91 inked almost constantly, FM nibs, and they are about the best I have, bar one Montblanc regrind. I should try them side by side with the Pelikan, though, just to see.

I've got a Custom 74, too, an opaque green one bought from a Japanese dealer. I have less use for it because of the broad nib, which also makes it harder to compare directly with the Pelikan.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

Of course it could well be true, or false, depending on the individual pen and individual user.

What he said.

My personal experience is that Pilots, in general, have better QC than most other brands, including Pelikan.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

Get a M200 Cognac Demo or the Green/Yellow Duo's. Best of both worlds !

Thanks for the advice. I love demonstrators.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

Thank you, guys.

I really must say that your collective remarks were even more more useful than usual, and I'm dead grateful. Truly.

Thanks for the advice. I love demonstrators.

The standard M200 doesn't really do anything for me, and I sold a black/gold M150 as I found it a bit boring.

The M200 Cognac however is a lovely pen, and I can see myself buying some of the other M200 demos.

It's a shame Pelikan don't roll out the Tortoise finishes to the M200 line to spice it up a bit. It even seems as though they've dropped the Green marbled finish from the M200 range as a lot of people are no longer selling it.

On the subject of the nib, it is indeed quite springy, mine easily goes from B to BB under pressure. It reminds me a lot of a regular vintage gold nib, but smoother. This combined with the wetness of the pen bringing out shading in the ink certainly gives a bit of character to your writing.

Short Answer - no...

Long Answer - No. The M200 is a nice pen, but is as Ste_S said, its a bit of a boring pen. You also get a baby bottom nib if you order an M. Pilot pens are much better and the nibs even on the basic pens are excellent.

A lifelong FP user...

Of course it could well be true, or false, depending on the individual pen and individual user.

What you said - ditto.

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

You also get a baby bottom nib if you order an M.

Yes, I found out the hard way. One of the reason the m215 might be going to a more loving home soon.

After years of using all three of these pens, I must say they all have considerable strengths and are highly recommended by pen aficionados. All are excellent pens. That being said, in my estimation here is the answer to your posted question:

3rd place - Pilot Custom 74. Its got a terrific nib and is a very attractive pen, but its convertor pales in comparison to the two piston pens.

2nd place - Pelikan M200. Well constructed, terrific piston filler, will keep working for a lifetime. Cons - Its nib is mono tone and made of steel. The M200 pen is not offered in a striped version.

Winner - Pilot Custom 92. A beautiful Demo pen with a fantastic gold nib and terrific piston. A worthy champiion of this comparison test. Seeing the ink slosh around in the piston is very cool. My only complaint is I wish it came with a two-tone nib.

After years of using all three of these pens, I must say they all have considerable strengths and are highly recommended by pen aficionados. All are excellent pens. That being said, in my estimation here is the answer to your posted question:

3rd place - Pilot Custom 74. Its got a terrific nib and is a very attractive pen, but its convertor pales in comparison to the two piston pens.

2nd place - Pelikan M200. Well constructed, terrific piston filler, will keep working for a lifetime. Cons - Its nib is mono tone and made of steel. The M200 pen is not offered in a striped version.

Winner - Pilot Custom 92. A beautiful Demo pen with a fantastic gold nib and terrific piston. A worthy champiion of this comparison test. Seeing the ink slosh around in the piston is very cool. My only complaint is I wish it came with a two-tone nib.

While I like piston fillers, vacuum fillers, and the like; I prefer their larger ink capacity, and I appreciate the engineering that goes in to making them, there is no doubt that any pen with a converter is easier to clean and to maintain.

The individual user must decide if she or he prefers form or function.

The CON70 hold about 1.1ml of ink. That is nearly the same as the Custom 92.

If you are saying the CON70 is small you are saying STD CC is tiny and the Custom 92 and M200 ink supply is small too.

I'm slightly annoyed as so far what I've seen in this forum many have no idea how much the CON70 holds. I heard some say the CON70 held less than the STD.

#Nope

Is it possible? Of course!

How a writer defines "better" is the heart of the question. Weight, balance, girth, length, and nib are important characteristics in every pen and offer nearly limitless combinations for manufacturers to develop and different price points. Writing is an individual art; the pen is a writing tool.

Buzz