How High Would You Go On The Parker Lot?

JotterAddict62

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141592789348?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ends Friday 7:51 P.M. Pacific Time

Only two bidders at this time and one has no feedback at all.

I always wonder about these bids are they just plants to jack up the price?

With 23 units @ $30 each [ my average price ] you finish the math.

I think it will go higher than that..

I would try it at $300 but I know that will not be enough..

Ken

P.S. Good luck to anyone who bids on this lot.

Edited by JotterAddict62

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JotterAddict62

• OcalaFlGuy

• FarmBoy

• claudewick

Personally, I would value the 51s at ~50 each. Not sure on the vacs. It's already higher than I would throw money at. I'll wager an end price of ~500.

edit: ...& I'm sure I'll be entirely wrong. It'll be interesting to see what it actually goes for though.

Edited by NinthSphere

Whew. That's a hard one to call.

A couple nice pencils.

A 51 I'd be asking Several questions about. The answers could definitely affect my bid.

I think there is a P-21 there with the lessor seen two tone cap.

Generally I think the larger the lot of salvageable pens, the less amount per pen the lot goes for. IMO, the parts/resale value per pen to a pro is less than for someone who's going to keep most of a smaller lot for themselves.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Edited by OcalaFlGuy

Better call Farmboy and ask him as he knows all the answers.

If someone here buys the lot, I'm interested on the burgundy vacumatic set...

Or if some of you agree to make something like a groupbuy, count me in...

Edited by claudewick

It looks tempting but to a novice like me it also looks scary. Even if it were only two or three pens I would be hesitant. There's only one picture and you're supposed to trust that they are all as valuble as stated. And I guess the answer to the question about seeing them with the caps off is - No you may not. Those digital images cost money after all.

Looking for a black SJ Transitional Esterbrook Pen. (It's smaller than an sj)

I'm *not* a novice at this point, but I had the same concerns as Larry Barrieau. The pens may all have nibs, but there is no indication as to the condition. And yeah, the price per pen might be good, but one has to factor in any potential repair costs (and at least one pen didn't have a cap, so that's a minimum of $10-15 additional cost right there).

I looked at the questions asked. The seller seemed a bit snotty, to say the least, to the person who said "I'm going to be out of town, can I pay you when I get back?" Mind you, the seller was within rights, but they *could* have been at least a LITTLE polite. Especially when the person was being honest with them.

A listing like this might be worth it to someone who is good at repairs. But I'm not -- not at this level -- and I definitely won't be dropping that sort of money in hopes that I'm not getting a bunch of what turn out to be parts pens. Who knows -- it could be a heck of a deal. Or it could be a minefield. I can't tell. And at the current bid (as of about 1:15 PM EST on 3/5) that's a lot of chump change to be dropping on "I can't tell"....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Don't worry Ruth as I think it will hit $900 or more.

Ken

And I guess the answer to the question about seeing them with the caps off is - No you may not. Those digital images cost money after all.

I did ask the seller if all FP's had nibs answer. Yes

Well Ruth, I think it's safe to say this cheery bloke of a seller Isn't taking extra, very nice, up close pics of all the nibs and sending them backchannel only to potential bidders who ask... :rolleyes:

Even as parts pens, the per pen amount, especially with the 51s, the condition of the nibs, if they are there, makes a substantial $ difference.

OTOH, If I've said it once...I'll NEVER be shocked at the money some people spend with stuff on Fleabay. And then they're just Shocked when what they Get isn't what they delusionally thought it'd be.

Just yesterday I saw an auction close for a watch, new appearing but from JoeBlowEbayer sell for MORE than a guaranteed brand new example can be had from Amazon.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

It seems to me that lots of buyers are laboring under the "it's on an auction site therefore it must be cheaper" delusion. The cure is a 15 second online search but the delusion precludes that.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Better call Farmboy and ask him as he knows all the answers.

What was the question?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

What was the question?

How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Regarding the pen lot, my guess is 800-850.

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

How high would you go ?

I have this auction in my watch list. I have not looked closely at the one photo. On quick glance I see 2 21s and a 51 Special that are not interesting. I see two 51s with names on them. No nib pictures but I assume they are there.

Generic 51s and for the most part generic Vacs. One interesting pencil.

I have not determined if I will bid, entry price is already indicative of a biding war heating up.

I had not expected this auction to go unnoticed thus my lack of interest in placing a bid early. The 51 players I know are not bidding if that helps anyone though I expect the lot will sell well.

Post sale we should analyze the final price.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'll pass on this as I'm in the market for a new couch & chair for the living room.

I had not expected this auction to go unnoticed thus my lack of interest in placing a bid early.

Post sale we should analyze the final price.

I don't think you have to be any pen expert for your eyes to naturally fall upon one certain pencil.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I'll pass on this as I'm in the market for a new couch & chair for the living room.

Just got a new couch. I hate it. I'd rather have had more pens.