Is This Set Of Vintage Pens Worth 50$?

RyanM

Hey guys,

I was at a vintage shop today, and I saw a plastic bag full of pens sitting on the bottom shelf. I asked the lady how much these were, and she said she had no idea, and would give them to me for $50.

I don't really know what these pens were specifically. Any help identifying them and a possible price would be greatly appreciated.

I always love to get great deals on pens, but hate to be ripped off.

Thanks so much for your help guys!

post-117629-0-22160300-1425462283_thumb.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RyanM

• Stu L

• fountainpagan

• BCastle

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Ryan - the silver one, top right looks like a Parker 75 in Sterling Silver - if that brown mark is not damage and the nib is OK, it could well be worth the asking price on its own

Google "Parker 75 cisele fountain pen" for a better description

Cheers and good hunting

Edited by BCastle

The parker 75 jumped out at me also... and it's difficult to see clearly, but the teal one looks like either a parker 45 (is the nib only partly hooded?) or maybe a white feather (or other parker homage/clone)... The black one looks like it has quite a large nib and seems to be in relatively good shape, all parts present and correct. Without clearer pics, my gut feeling is that if the silver one is a sterling parker 75, you got a pretty darned good deal.

I'd have paid it :)

yes...the parker 75 is worth just that. The others are a bonus.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Is the blue pen in the middle of the shot a Parker 45? This pen had no markings on the pen, except for a small arrow near the nib, and a converter with Parker on it. Is this a 45?

Sterling silver.

Glenn

Sterling silver and, yours being a first generation:

- the nib is easily changeable, you just pull it and that is it.

- the graduation on the metal ring on the section allows you to choose the ink flow you want. Very practical

I too think the top left looks like a Sheaffer, balance? Craftsman?

Edited by fountainpagan

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Sterling silver and, yours being a first generation:

- the nib is easily changeable, you just pull it and that is it.

- the graduation on the metal ring on the section allows you to choose the ink flow you want. Very practical

I too think the top left looks like a Sheaffer, balance? Craftsman?

This allows you to rotate the nib so the pen is more comfortable for you hand, not adjust ink flow.

The Parker "75" was for many years the flagship Parker pen. It is a fairly slim and short pen but very well balanced and super reliable. The one in your picture is Sterling silver. Buff that sucker up with a jewelers cloth, do not use liquid or cream silver polish or you will remove the dark coloring that sets off the grids. A early flat top Parker Cilese will sell for well over $100.00 today and even when introduced back in the early 60s sold for $25.00.

My Website

Is the blue pen in the middle of the shot a Parker 45? This pen had no markings on the pen, except for a small arrow near the nib, and a converter with Parker on it. Is this a 45?

Don't think so, the partially hooded nib of a 45 looks quite different. If it has an arrow on the nib I'm going with a Parker 61. Looks the right shape.

Does it have a cap?

This allows you to rotate the nib so the pen is more comfortable for you hand, not adjust ink flow.

I was misinformed then, and did not check the information. I believe you Shawn. Thanks for correcting.

WomenWagePeace

SUPORTER OF http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/100x75q90/631/uh2SgO.jpg

My avatar is a painting by the imense surrealist painter Remedios Varo

Thanks a lot guys. I guess I'll be back tomorrow. What is so good about the Parker 75?

What's good? Looks, weight and balance and good to write with too.

The blue one looks and sounds like the working parts of a Parker 61

On top of this, if the black one is a Shaeffer, I think your 50 bucks are going to be well spent!

The black pen looks to be a Sheaffer Balance, standard size not oversize or slender. However, it looks to be in very good condition though the nib might not be original. However you can easily find a replacement if that turns out to be the case. 50 dollars is a decent price, but you can always attempt a decent haggle and see if she takes it.

Thanks a lot guys. The Parker 61 did not have a cap. Could this be a problem when writing with it? also the black pen is a Sheaffer. It came with some engraving on the side, with Sheaffer USA, as well as some other information I cannot remember.

Thank you very much for all your help.

It would be nice to figure out what these other pens are, but for now i'll be purchasing this set for sure!

Thanks a lot guys. The Parker 61 did not have a cap. Could this be a problem when writing with it? also the black pen is a Sheaffer. It came with some engraving on the side, with Sheaffer USA, as well as some other information I cannot remember.

Thank you very much for all your help.

It would be nice to figure out what these other pens are, but for now i'll be purchasing this set for sure!

Yup, the 61 will need a cap and it may have other issues. What seems a cartridge or converter may be the 61s strange filling system. Look her up for fun and giggles.

My Website

If the P-75 nib is in good shape and the section plastic hasn't white splotched, those 2 pieces are worth $50.

P-75 parts are pricey and the section plastic isn't so good. (Don't screw the barrel closed to puncture the cart.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Don't think so, the partially hooded nib of a 45 looks quite different. If it has an arrow on the nib I'm going with a Parker 61. Looks the right shape.

That was my impression as well.

Given that I paid more than $50 for *each* of my 61s, I would definitely say you have a pretty good deal if you're paying that much for *all* of the pens.

You will definitely need a cap for the 61, but you should also unscrew the section from the barrel and see if you need to get a converter or if it has the original capillary fill. I don't know how much a cap will set you back; I've seen NOS capillary units on Ebay but they're not cheap. If it has the original capillary unit, you will want to do what I was told to do when I bought my first one -- flush (distilled) water through it from the back. Admittedly, I just did that till I started getting ink flowing from the nib, and then wrote with the pen, because I'm lazy, and cheap -- if there's still ink that can be re-constititued, why the heck not use it? ;) Eventually I got to the point with the first 61 that the ink was so watered down as to be completely illegible, then I flushed the pen really well (have not quite gotten to that point with the second one yet...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

The one on the upper left looks to be a standard size Sheaffer balance, possibly a 500. If it is in working order it is worth about the $50 asking price. Looks like between that and the Parker you may have a good deal on your hands.

Jim Couch

Portland, OR