Transparent Blue Jinhao 599

PolarMoonman

Pen: Jinhao 599

Cost: $3

Appearance & Design (10/10):

The pen looks better than a Lamy. The blue transparent plastic doesn’t look cheap and the clip looks better as well. The Lamy clips reminds me of a paperclip, this clip is definitely an improvement. The pen also has the transparent grip section which is cool and the dimensions are nice. All in all no complaints here.

Construction & Quality (4/10):

And here’s where it falls short of the Lamy…

I got the pen and happily inked it, I set it down and picked it up a few minutes later to find there was a major leak in the pen and most of it had settled in the cap. So I sighed and dumped the ink out and reset the nib and feed. Re-inked it and found another issue. While holding the grip section I kept pushing down on the converter to seal it and it kept moving down, so I looked and the black sleeve that fits into the grip section that holds the nib and feed was two thirds out of the grip section and wouldn’t stay in. Whenever downward pressure was applied it would slide out. So I sighed and put some shellac on the sleeve popped it back in and have had no issues since. BUT it is important to note that the need in feed only go in at one place on the sleeve. So before I shellaced it I made sure it was at the correct angle relative to the grip section. This is important because it has to line up with the right side of the 3 sided grip if it doesn’t writing will be a real pain.

Weight & Dimensions (9/10):

This pen is a great in this category. It’s light and well balanced while posted. It’s a hair short of 5.5 inches when capped and just a little under 6.5 inches when posted. The pen weighs 15 g when it’s not inked. Overall the dimensions and light weight make it an ideal everyday pen.

Nib & Performance (8/10):

It’s got a Jinhao nib, nothing special. It writes smoothly and fairly wet for a fine. Once I worked the kinks out it is a great performer. I really enjoy using it. The 3 sided grip section does take some getting used to and may not be suitable to everyone but I like it.

Filling System & Maintenance (10/10):

Unlike the Lamy it can take international converters and cartridges. No complaints.

Cost & Value (10/10):

I got this for $3, which is not too far off from what it usually goes for. It’s a nice copy of a famous pen and a great value if you don’t mind tinkering with it a little bit to make it perform its best.

Conclusion (51/60 -- 85%)

For $3 I can’t really complain. It’s a really nice pen. I love the color, the standard shaped nib, the improved clip and the fact it can take international cartridges. It’s a Lamy, de-individualized, a pen that took some unique and made it universal. Which is pretty much what Jinhao does… But they did a good job with this one and despite its issues it’s a pen I would buy again if I lost it.

fpn_1425425034__jinhao-599-medium-nib-tr

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rochester21

• parnesh

• PolarMoonman

• PortiaDaCosta

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I don't like clone pens, but this one has some character and at least they tried to make some changes. I would have liked this pen if they had push the difference a step further, with a cylindrical grip that has nothing to do with Lamy and if they had remove the signature ink window. At least it would have made a decent eyedropper...

Thanks for the review!

Thanks for the review. I bought a dozen of these and have given out half a dozen. For the price, I can't really complain. The nib is surprisingly good. Lamy can learn a few things from them. However, the rest of the quality of the pen is a bit of a let down. With some improvements in quality, it can become a credible competitor to the safari and pilot MR.