Newb Here With My First Fp!

jvillan29

Got my 1st fp today. Yipee! A twsbi 580al. My question to you fp owners, what sort of preparation do you perform on your brand new pen prior to filling it with ink? Enlighten me plz with details! Thanks!!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealScubaSteve

• jvillan29

• ac12

• nujnay

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Flush it with mildly soapy water a few times, then rinse it with clean water. This will remove any oils from manufacturing that can cause flow issues. Other than that, enjoy. The TWSBI 580 is a great pen.

I pretty much do as Steve mentioned.

1 cup water, 1 or 2 drops of dishwashing detergent.

Then dry it overnight, ink up the pen in morning and see how she writes.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

After the soapy water rinsing you can dry it by having it stand with the nib on -and wrapped in- kitchen paper, or toilet paper. The capillary action will draw out most of the water. Overnight is a good amount of time.

Usually I just flush with warm water. But have done the soap thing a couple of times.

Welcome!

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A silent prayer that it's going to survive the 50 or so crashes to the floor over the next year, and be durable enough to handle the hard time I'm going to give it.

Another washing solution that works and leaves no residue is a 1:10 solution of ammonia (plain ammonia, no extra detergents or fragrances) and water. Rinse and flush it well to get rid of manufacturing oils, then let it dry completely before filling it. I hope the pen does well for you! :)

:W2FPN:

Try not to let it crash to the floor. Do you really want to bend the nib or break the pen itself? Be gentle with it and it will repay you with a lovely long life. TWSBI's are good pens and need to be looked after :)

Edited by Gillie2tat

Don't walk with the pen by holding its posted cap. I did that to my first and watched the nib smash into the floor. It became my first hack (nib) job.

Another nice thing about giving a good rinse to the TWSBI is that you can completely take it apart and let it dry out in pieces, just to make sure everything is dried out overnight. Other than that, I hope you like it! Hopefully you got a cool ink color to go with the clear pen ;)

Thanks for the replies...i did a h20 flush and let it dried overnight. I have no loupe to inspect the nib, but planning to purchase one soon. So far have ink samples:

- Iroshizuku Moonlight

- Noodlers Bad Blk Mocassin & Widow Maker

- Diamine Midnight

Gonna try the iroshizuku now hehe!!

Thank again and hopefully no crash haha!!

There's no reason whatsoever to wait an entire night to use a freshly cleaned pen as far as I'm concerned. If you fill the converter and flood the feed to get ink flowing, the ink might be watered down for a line or two. If dipping the nib, by comparison there is so little water in the feed (especially if you used a paper towel to absorb it) you won't even notice a drop in saturation.

There's no reason whatsoever to wait an entire night to use a freshly cleaned pen as far as I'm concerned. If you fill the converter and flood the feed to get ink flowing, the ink might be watered down for a line or two. If dipping the nib, by comparison there is so little water in the feed (especially if you used a paper towel to absorb it) you won't even notice a drop in saturation.

Ditto