Early Conway Stewart Id If Possible Please?

CLB*

post-120996-0-66114500-1425215660_thumb.jpgpost-120996-0-90853100-1425215633_thumb.jpgpost-120996-0-02147800-1425215686_thumb.jpgpost-120996-0-93081300-1425215705_thumb.jpg

I have this Conway Stewart gold-plated pen and wondered if anyone could help me identify it. I have spent a long time on Jonathan Donahaye's wonderful site, but still cannot pin it down.

It is engine-turned gold plated (very worn) on what looks like vulcanite, 10.5mm length capped (this is my biggest stumbling block), lollipop filler marked CS, with 14ct gold warranted first quality nib, screw on cap with slightly domed top and no clip, although it came with a separate plated clip that slides onto the cap and appears to be a perfect fit. This clip is marked Made in England No 4 inside and is not engine-turned to match the pen.

It looks as though there was a space opposite the filler, perhaps as a cartouche for initials as there is no sign of any engraving from Conway Stewart on any part of the pen.

I would be most grateful if anyone could tell me any more.

post-120996-0-99634600-1425215925_thumb.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CLB*

• peterg

• jar

• FountainPages

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you both for your suggestions. I've looked over the Dandy 800 as referenced on Jonathan Donahaye's site and it is larger than mine, unless it was made in a variety of sizes and that piece of the info is missing. Mine is 10.5 cm capped, whereas his site seems to suggest the Dandy was 11.2cm. Size-wise mine seems to fall between a Dinkie and a Dandy. Also, the part that is held in your fingers to write is very slender on mine, compared with some pens and is quite 'dished'. Apologies for not knowing technical terms to describe this. I wonder if mine might be a different model perhaps?

With regards to jar's reply, that was something I would never have thought of, so thank you for enlightening me. I did see one gold-coloured early CS described as being "Gothic Pattern", however, the pen description doesn't fit mine (a Dinkie and too short to be mine).

I'm so grateful for the help.

You could always show it to Mary on the C-S forum...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

You could always show it to Mary on the C-S forum...

Except there is no CS forum (that's why we're in this one...)

Another thought (although hopefully wrong!) is that it's a non-CS pen that's had the lever replaced with spare CS one that the repairer had knocking around.

"Truth can never be told, so as to be understood, and not be believ'd." (Wiiliam Blake)

Visit my review: Thirty Pens in Thirty Days

Thanks soapytwist, I'm new here and looked through every forum to see if CS was lurking somewhere and I just hadn't looked hard enough!

Thank you for your suggestion, the same thought had crossed my mind, but I'm no pen expert. I've looked it over again with this in mind and on the positive side there are vestiges of the gold plating on the lever, plus it is a very good fit into the recess. The mechanism is also very sound; as the lever is fully opened, there is a satisfying clunk. Because the pivot is not at the end of the lever, wouldn't that make it difficult to substitute another manufacturer's lever in place of the original (guessing they might pivot in different places)?

Hi Peter, the 402 does sound like a good bet for mine, thank you. The pen length (10.6cm), barrel and section length (8.6cm) and cap length (5.2cm) match Jonathan Donahaye's description of a 402. I must have missed this when I went through his models, as I became quite confused about the gold plated pens, versus the plain vulcanite pens. Perhaps I should offer him a photo, even though the condition of mine is so poor, it might help someone else identify their early pen? Thanks again for your help.