The Phenomenal Ink Flow Of Pilot Custom 823

lowks

I got my 823 this year and one thing that really amazes me is it's ink flow. I work in an aircond heavy office and most often my FPs will suffer from hard start ups when I leave them uncapped for sometime without writing. I have tried to do the same thing to my 823 by leaving it out for 5 mins and it starts up immediately all the time! Whatever they are doing, I am just so impressed with this pen.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 23Larsen

• Maurizio

• displacermoose

• EricTheRed

I have had mine just over a month and love it. I knew quite a while before getting it I wanted one. I just love the ink capacity, nib and think it's about the classiest demonstrator out there.

After getting it I found I liked far more than I thought I would. Your right about the ink flow. It is always there yet is somehow in a controlled state where it is not a gusher that puts down too much ink. Im not sure if its the large nib or the way they have channeled the feed but it really is a pleasure to write with.

Curious if i am one of the few or many...who else pulled the inner seal off the rod so you don't have to turn the end cap for longer writing sessions?

PS~ I have it filled with Ackerman Bekakt Haags and it is a wonderful compliment to the pen.

Edited by Earthdawn

Too love my 823. It newer fails to write or make me smile when I use it. I have somewhat settled into using Horsetail in it exclusively, which is not normal for me. I too removed the inner seal so I could keep the end cap closed. It gives me a greater sense of ease when using it now.

I enjoy MB 146 pens, Sailor, Pilot and Platinum pens as well. I have a strong attraction to dark red and muted green ink, colors I dislike for everything but FP ink. I also enjoy practicing my handwriting and attempting to improve it. I love the feel of quality paper under a gold nib.

My lowly Custom 74 also does the same thing. Somehow the feed continues to bring in new ink as ink around the edges dries out - that is all I can guess.

My lowly Custom 74 also does the same thing. Somehow the feed continues to bring in new ink as ink around the edges dries out - that is all I can guess.

Hi bizhe - don't knock your Custom 74. I wouldn't exactly call it "lowly". The Custom 74 is a nice, well crafted, great writing pen. Mine has a medium nib; it is slightly springy and always delivers a nice consistent ink flow, even if left uncapped for a couple of minutes. It was like that right out of the box without any pre-ink flushing.

I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not a "collector", just an avid user, and I now try to buy only one FP every year, at most. This year it will either be a Custom 843 or a Custom 845; I'm kind of leaning to the 845 because it's made of ebonite and I really like the feel of my Noodler's Ahab, so a beautiful, big, ebonite pen from Pilot will be the pinnacle for me I think.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I'm another lover of the 823. It's easily one of my favorite pens.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

They are awesome pens. I just wished they made a flatop version either as a vacuum filler or piston filler (would even take the CC) with a #15 nib. Pilot pens are now the benchmark for me and most pens I consider seem not to hold up to my benchmark so I seem to be buying more pilot pens (Have a 912 SU on the way and am considering an SFM nibbed pen as well).

The Custom 845 has a flat top and two-tone #15 nib, takes the Con-70. It's more expensive because of the urushi finish.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

I love my Custom 823s. One of them is in my pocket almost everyday. I didn't pull out the inner seal; I just leave the finial unscrewed most of the time. When I fly, I screw the finial in and the pen is sealed against leakage.

The Pilot Custom 743 uses a Con-70 converter and has a #15 nib. They are not available through the US distributor, though. I purchased mine directly from Japan.

FP Geeks reviewed one, here: http://fpgeeks.com/2014/07/pilot-custom-743-fountain-pen-w-fa-nib-review/

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

+1 nothing beats the pilot 823 in that price its a VFM pen

Pilot custom heritage 74 all nibs, 742 Fa and PO nibs, 823 F 92 F,M, 3776 FM,EF,1911F

And all indian pens

• 1 year later...

I just got my 823 this afternoon after drooling over them for about three years. My only regret is that I waited so long. Now I'm trying to figure out which inks go with it the best. Right now it's loaded with R&K Scabiosa, but I'm thinking it needs something more vibrant. Does anyone have any particular favorites that they feel really go with this pen?

Yet another Sarah.

I have had mine just over a month and love it. I knew quite a while before getting it I wanted one. I just love the ink capacity, nib and think it's about the classiest demonstrator out there.

After getting it I found I liked far more than I thought I would. Your right about the ink flow. It is always there yet is somehow in a controlled state where it is not a gusher that puts down too much ink. Im not sure if its the large nib or the way they have channeled the feed but it really is a pleasure to write with.

Curious if i am one of the few or many...who else pulled the inner seal off the rod so you don't have to turn the end cap for longer writing sessions?

PS~ I have it filled with Ackerman Bekakt Haags and it is a wonderful compliment to the pen.

I pulled the inner seal off before I inked it for the first time.

Mine is a gusher.

Hi bizhe - don't knock your Custom 74. I wouldn't exactly call it "lowly". The Custom 74 is a nice, well crafted, great writing pen. Mine has a medium nib; it is slightly springy and always delivers a nice consistent ink flow, even if left uncapped for a couple of minutes. It was like that right out of the box without any pre-ink flushing.

I'm trying to convince myself that I'm not a "collector", just an avid user, and I now try to buy only one FP every year, at most. This year it will either be a Custom 843 or a Custom 845; I'm kind of leaning to the 845 because it's made of ebonite and I really like the feel of my Noodler's Ahab, so a beautiful, big, ebonite pen from Pilot will be the pinnacle for me I think.

The 845s are ebonite but I believe all are Urushi coated. Not a negative point but if you are looking for the feel of raw ebonight you won't find it in an Urushi coated pen.

I first got the brown 823 with an F nib, and i loved it. Still do and it is always in my daily carry. I only use it with brown inks, other colors make the pen look a little weird to me.

The fact that it always write, holds a massive amount of ink and looks awesome, made me buy another one. This time in black with an M nib.

I have not bothered with the inner seal, like others i just keep the blind cap unscrewed.

I have a Pro Gear and a Sapporo rather than a 1911, but I think the Pro Gear and the large 1911 use the same nib. Sailor nibs feel different from Pilot nibs. They have a lot more feedback and they are complete nails. My 823 has a bit of softness to it. That is not to say that Sailor nibs don't have character, they certainly do. To me, they feel more precise and formal than the Pilot. I love both. As far as size, my Pilot is a medium and my Sailors are a MF and a F so I can't give a direct comparison. The Pilot was a little wider than I expected based on my experience with the Sailors.

Do any of you who has the 823 also have the sailor 1911 Large? just wondering how it compares, i´m considering adding one. How does the Pilot F nib compare to the sailor F?

Yet another Sarah.

That is very helpful, thank you!

I am very tempted to try a Sailor at some point but there is no hurry. My fountain pen spending spree has finally calmed down. The pilot 823 has a lot to do with that since it is such a great pen, no longer that strong urge to try different pens.

I owned an amber 823 for about a year and really loved everything about it. I immediately took out that internal O ring for the shut off feature when I got mine. Just a really great pen, especially for the money.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor