1989 Montblanc Id?

Manalto

A friend's grandfather is selling his pen and I am considering going to take a look at it. It was a corporate gift to him many years ago (~1989), so he doesn't know which model it is (he says it's cartridge only, but he could be mistaken about that). I'm not that knowledgeable about MBs either, but I do know the slimmest models don't suit me. It's rather a long drive, so I was hoping to identify the model in advance if possible, and save a trip if it's not right for me.

I'm hoping there is a Montblanc expert here who can tell which model this is. Sorry for the lousy photos; this is all he was able to send. If I do find out the model, are eBay "Sold" listings the best place to look to determine a fair asking price?

Thanks,

James

http://images.craigslist.org/00t0t_fhyibAmxbQc_600x450.jpg

http://images.craigslist.org/00N0N_SQAQBo7pYL_600x450.jpg

Edited by Manalto

James

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• jar

• Cordovian

• Wolverine1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe the MB 144, since it is a C/C fill pen? Others will chime in with their opinion.

If my guess about the model is correct, you might find this pen to be too slim for your needs.

Yep, looks like a 144 to me too.

You said you didn't care for the slimmer models. The 144 is not a large pen. Mine is beautiful and is a great writer but it's only slightly larger in diameter than my MB Slim-line.

If you do go look at it, inspect the nib tube closely for cracks. It's probably the most fragile part of these pens.

As for pricing, yeah, you could use an average from Ebay sold listings but you're going to find pricing all up and down the scale.

Edited by Cordovian

These are really quite nice to write. Because they are so lightweight, it's easy to write a lot with them.

"Oh deer."

You said you didn't care for the slimmer models. The 144 is not a large pen. Mine is beautiful and is a great writer but it's only slightly larger in diameter than my MB Slim-line.

If you do go look at it, inspect the nib tube closely for cracks. It's probably the most fragile part of these pens.

As for pricing, yeah, you could use an average from Ebay sold listings but you're going to find pricing all up and down the scale.

The only MB I've ever held in my hand was a Classique, which seemed too skinny for my hand. (It's my understanding that "Classique" is a designation for the 144; please correct me if I'm wrong.) From what I've read about the 149, its fat cigar proportions may be too large. Could the 146 be the Goldilocks choice? I like the feel of a Parker Duofold and Sheaffer Legacy, which are larger but not huge pens.

Thanks for the tip about the nib tube. Is this vulnerability true of all models from that era, or just the 144?

The seller said he wants $180.

These are really quite nice to write. Because they are so lightweight, it's easy to write a lot with them.

Nobody has a reputation like Montblanc, which is what piqued my curiosity in the first place. I hope one day to find the right one for me.

I really appreciate your feedback. It can be tricky determining which pens are right for an individual by photos on a monitor. Descriptions and comparisons narrow it down to a manageable range of choices.

Edited by Manalto

James

It's not overpriced, but it's not that excelent deal that you can't miss... I have one just like this and I paid a little less than 180.

If you like the Duofold and Legacy you'll certainly find this pen too small. Spend a little more and go straight to the 146.

cheers

The only MB I've ever held in my hand was a Classique, which seemed too skinny for my hand. (It's my understanding that "Classique" is a designation for the 144; please correct me if I'm wrong.) From what I've read about the 149, its fat cigar proportions may be too large. Could the 146 be the Goldilocks choice? I like the feel of a Parker Duofold and Sheaffer Legacy, which are larger but not huge pens.

Thanks for the tip about the nib tube. Is this vulnerability true of all models from that era, or just the 144?

The seller said he wants $180.

Nobody has a reputation like Montblanc, which is what piqued my curiosity in the first place. I hope one day to find the right one for me.

I really appreciate your feedback. It can be tricky determining which pens are right for an individual by photos on a monitor. Descriptions and comparisons narrow it down to a manageable range of choices.

Well, Montblanc is pretty well known but I would not go so far as to suggest that nobody has a reputation like Montblanc.

But maybe these pictures might help.

http://www.fototime.com/AC5D971BEF614B7/large.jpg

From top: MB146, Pelikan 800, PFM (same size as Legacy), Sheaffer OverSize Balance and a Parker Vaccumatic.

http://www.fototime.com/F74063E3E2AA223/xlarge.jpg

And open.

My Website

I do believe that is my pen size. Please pack carefully when you mail them to me. Thanks in advance, jar.

By "nobody has a reputation like Montblanc" I was referring to its fame and status among quality pens to the general public. I see how my comment was misleading. I actually find the PFM and Pelikan 800 the most seductive of the five shown above.

James

I do believe that is my pen size. Please pack carefully when you mail them to me. Thanks in advance, jar.

By "nobody has a reputation like Montblanc" I was referring to its fame and status among quality pens to the general public. I see how my comment was misleading. I actually find the PFM and Pelikan 800 the most seductive of the five shown above.

I assume the check is in the mail?

A couple others to consider.

The Montegrappa Classica family of pens.

The ST Dupont Orpheo/Olympio family of pens.

The Graf von Faber Castell Classic family of pens. The Intuition series also always amazes me.

The Caran d'Ache Varius family of pens.

My Website

$150 is a fair price for this modern 144 "Classique" if the pen is not engraved with the corporate logo of his employer, and if there is no damage, corrosion (especially the section gold band) or excess wear. $180 with box and papers is fair.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

It's unused and never been inked, Fred, so wear is not an issue. There is no corporate engraving (it was from the Pitney-Bowes company, incidentally) but I'm looking for a pen for my own use rather than as an investment. I've held a 144 before and it's just too small for my proletarian paw. I've just been browsing Pelikan 800s and now GvFC Classics, thanks to jar's recommendation. I really only need the slightest nudge.

Edited to add: the GvFC 2007 pen of the year limited edition is nice, but I find the Classic Anello black the most elegant.

Edited by Manalto

James

Well, Montblanc is pretty well known but I would not go so far as to suggest that nobody has a reputation like Montblanc.

But maybe these pictures might help.

http://www.fototime.com/AC5D971BEF614B7/large.jpg

From top: MB146, Pelikan 800, PFM (same size as Legacy), Sheaffer OverSize Balance and a Parker Vaccumatic.

http://www.fototime.com/F74063E3E2AA223/xlarge.jpg

And open.

Will you adopt me so I can be the heir to your collection? 😄

I also find the resin 144 to be too slim for me, however, the pure sterling silver one was perfect, mainly because the sterling silver version has some weight and seems to be slightly fatter than the resin 144.

I randomly bought the pure sterling silver 144 recently for $300 and ended up liking it more than my 146 and 149.

post-105977-0-37827200-1425271911_thumb.jpg

It's got beautiful visual balance, the two-tone nib echoed in the metals of the pen body and black at either end. Really elegant. Well done.

I called the seller to tell him the model number of his pen and that I'm no longer interested because the size isn't right for me. He was most gracious and asked me to thank those of you who helped to identify it. I thank you too.

James

• 3 weeks later...