M400 Oblique Médium

Oldtimer

Any one has sample writing?

A comparison to a F and EF?

I like stubs, but since Pelikans roll a bit wider I don't know what to choose.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oldtimer

• Bo Bo Olson

• flyshot

• domnortheast

Do not waste your money on a modern oblique..."M400"....it has very little line variation, if any.

Buy a (no M) 400, 400n, 400nn OM from '50-65...which you will gamble if it is semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex in a 400. To be sure of which flex you get you would have to buy from Penboard De or Rick Propas.

A '80's-97 M400 has a 'true' regular flex nib, with a tad of spring....like a 200, and I've tried a 200 OB or OM, and was disappointed. The modern after '98 M400 is a semi-nail.

What pen and nibs do you have?

If you have four, two 'true' regular flex and two nails...B, M, F&EF you should be ready for semi-flex. To be sure of getting a semi-flex....I recommend a 140.

I'd heard of semi-flex and the Pelikan 140 and at a flea market was shown one. As soon as I spread the tines to check flex on my thumb nail :drool: :puddle: I knew what all the fuss was about.

It was an OB....and that is a writing nib in that era....more like a M-B oblique than a moderns fat B. Vintage nibs are @ 1/2 a size narrower than modern.

Second, the nibs of that era are flattish-stubbish. In fact the first couple of old German pens I saw from that era, I thought some shade tree mechanic stubbed it for some reason.

Nope, that's what many of the folks wanted. MB, Soennecken, Pelikan, Geha, Osmia and a few others that offered nibs with a tad of flex all had that 'flattish-stubbish' nib.

That with a tad or a bit of flex gives real good line variation.

Lamy and the other German nail makers, did the American Bump Under.

I recommend starting with semi-flex, if like me when I started, you are a bit Ham Fisted. After 3 months your Hand will be naturally lighter and you can then chase the next flex range, the 'flexi/maxi-semi-flex.

Neither of those nib flexes are "Flex" nibs. :wallbash: ...in they only spread their tines 3 X a light down stroke.

"Flex" or super flex spread their nibs 4-5-6 or even 7 X a light down stroke.

I have some 30 semi-flex, 15 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex; and a mix of both flexes, for 15 or so Obliques from that '50-65 era. OBB, OB, OM, &OF.....I thought chasing an OEF too narrow for shading inks I use.

Vintage nibs are narrower than modern....the modern M400 is a fat blobby semi-nail. :angry:

Buy a nib with some life in it. An OB is what I suggest as first...it is about as wide as that modern M400's M nib, has a wider foot so your hand placement is not so critical. OM&OF need more precise placement...which is not a problem with a tad of practice.

You do have to cant your hand a bit for any oblique to work.

I have a Pelikan 140 & Geha 790 semi-flex OB inked right now. :notworthy1:

Do stay away from a vintage H nib=semi-nail or a D nib = a nails nail..something to pry open tanks with.

Please do read my signature.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I received this definition from a seller:

"The OM nib is an oblique medium nib which is specially design for lefthanders. Many will use them as italic nib but it is different and not the same."

Is this true?

I received this definition from a seller:

"The OM nib is an oblique medium nib which is specially design for lefthanders. Many will use them as italic nib but it is different and not the same."

Is this true?

Not necessarily true at all Oldtimer. The nib is cut at an oblique angle to facilitate those writers who tend to rotate the pen as they write. They are, however, handed and, if going for an oblique nibs because you have a tendency to rotate the pen, then it is necessary to choose a nib that is of the correct foot, either left or right sloping.

I'm sure Bo Bo Olsen will expand on this further, there is also a good amount of information about this on Richard Binder's site here:

http://richardspens.com/?page=ref/nibs/primer.htm

Have fun

Dom

I like left sloping not because I do it but because I like to do it. I like obliques.

Some left handers can not use an Oblique left foot, others can depending on which style they write in.

I would think, certain styles can use an Oblique if it is a stiff one...not one with the bit of flex a right hander can enjoy. Where I a right hander pulls, they have to push.

IMO the canting of nibs is natural, caused by left eye dominance in right handers. In School in the late '50's-early-mid-60's, there were always some that canted their nibs with regular pens.....why I didn't know.

However, my wife cants extremely...She is very left eye dominate. She is a very good shot with pistol or rifle. I tried to get her to change to a left hand hold....but she refuses. She looks with her left eye when shooting a pistol.....really has to crawl all over a rifle stock to aim with her left eye. She being a natural shot, has no interest....only shooting a few shots every three or four years.

So I think those who cant naturally have a dominate left eye....for right handers.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Some left handers can not use an Oblique left foot, others can depending on which style they write in.

I would think, certain styles can use an Oblique if it is a stiff one...not one with the bit of flex a right hander can enjoy. Where I a right hander pulls, they have to push.

IMO the canting of nibs is natural, caused by left eye dominance in right handers. In School in the late '50's-early-mid-60's, there were always some that canted their nibs with regular pens.....why I didn't know.

However, my wife cants extremely...She is very left eye dominate. She is a very good shot with pistol or rifle. I tried to get her to change to a left hand hold....but she refuses. She looks with her left eye when shooting a pistol.....really has to crawl all over a rifle stock to aim with her left eye. She being a natural shot, has no interest....only shooting a few shots every three or four years.

So I think those who cant naturally have a dominate left eye....for right handers.

I noticed when I returned to fountain pens that I cant my nib also. I have tried & tried to break myself. I never considered the cross dominance issue. Very interesting...thanks for sharing.

I am an avid shooter & I'm just like your wife. I'm very left eye dominate. I shoot left handed..even though I'm a right hander.

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.". Matthew 4:19

South paw here, I am also an over writer of the worst sort. The standard left oblique is hard for me to handle. Not impossible but hard, and forget about flex nibs, all my verticals are push strokes so trying to write with a flex or EF nib for me is like trying to write by pushing a sewing needle or a canted razor blade across the paper.

Last year I had MIke Mausuyama regrind two nibs for me to 7/12 degree right oblique. I found my new sweet spot, this grind works nearly perfectly for me.

Thank you for all the info all, specially,

Bo Bo Olson

Now, I have no idea what all the designations for Pelikan nib sizes are and I saw along list once with all of them. -- I know I digress, but this is essential to the selection of a pen.

Does anyone know where I can find such list?

Thank you for all the info all, specially, Bo Bo Olson

Now, I have no idea what all the designations for Pelikan nib sizes are and I saw along list once with all of them. -- I know I digress, but this is essential to the selection of a pen.

Does anyone know where I can find such list?

I have compiled a list of every nib that I've discovered Pelikan to have made, modern and vintage. You can find it here; http://thepelikansperch.com/2014/08/28/pelikan-fountain-pen-nib-sizes/

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Great info Sargetalon.

Thanks for the props Oldtimer....but I want you and everyone else to have a fun pen, with out having to buy a lot of pens to learn.I learned a lot on the Com, so just give it back.

Living in Germany I was able to get many 'cheap/inexpensive old vintage German pens...having 30 semi-flex and 15 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex....that the '50's 400-400n-400nn and other company's pens had, like the Osmia/Osmia-Faber-Castel, Geha and MB's of the '50's. The MBs were not cheap...but compared to modern....dirt cheap.

So I push those fun nibs of those two flexes, and the if right handed, grand oblique nibs with a tad or bit of flex.

I also have a mix of 15 obliques from those two flexes. By pure luck....have both the @ 15&30 degree grinds in OBB, OB, OM&OF.

I don't chase the OEF....in I think that would be too narrow for my shading inks.

I push the term- 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex in to me it defines that nib set. It like a 'true' regular flex, and semi-flex only spreads the tines 3 X a light down stroke.

Mash a 'true' regular flex to a 3 X tine spread.

A semi-flex takes half that pressure to go 3 X.

'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex half of that, or 1/4th the pressure needed to mash a 'true' regular flex.

'True' regular flex.....many to most of the modern pens now come with semi-nail nibs and not regular flex, so some one having a semi-nail instead of a 'true' regular flex, can become confused when they first run into a semi-flex or 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex and think them Superflex.

:wacko: Whoops.....springing a 3 X nib thinking they can push the nib like a super-flex 4-5-6 or even 7x a light down stroke.

I do reply individually to everyone...so get to be a broken record in many ways. ;)

Got to learn how to link. :unsure:

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

I agree with Bo Bo but would add Richard Binder's comments: The last line, I think, sums it all up.

Different people write different ways. The important thing is to experiment and have fun; and whatever nib style you like, don’t let anyone disparage the nib — or you — because, in the end, no one is right or wrong or more elegant or less elegant. The only mistake any fountain-pen user can make is never to try different nib styles.

Peter

Hi,

On this chart (that you can find online in various sites) you can get a good idea of nib sizes and the line they produce.

I find this a good reference for vintage nibs, although I suspect you don't get such expressive lines with modern (more rounded tipping) nibs...

fpn_1425300530__pelikan_nib_chart.gif

Now, having said that, here's a writing sample of the (vintage) OM in my IBIS:

fpn_1425300230__om.jpg

Regards,

definitely looking elegant with that nib! The most pleasure I get is when i combine a smooth nib with an oblique or a fine semi flex which I hope to find - any of these in a vintage. Great information here, very educational.