Long Lasting Gift Pen For Beginner?

canadian

I'm thinking of gifting a fountain pen to someone for her recent promotion at job. I want something of a good writer out of the box and heard the Pilots are famous for being this way, but also cheap. Something with a low nib variation. Any suggestions?

"But it is the same with humanity as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthward, downward, into the dark and deep – into the evil." - Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm. Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• canadian

• OcalaFlGuy

• jar

• The Blue Knight

Top Posters In This Topic

A few questions:

Do you know if this person uses fountain pens?

If so, what do you think their preference might be? Slim pen? Large pen? Material preference?

Lastly, what is your price range?

My own opinion, a black resin pen with gold trim looks professional and says "Congrats on your promotion" to me. You can find such pens by Sheaffer, Parker, Pilot, Platinum, Waterman.

They make nice ballpoints and rollerballs too.

A few questions:

Do you know if this person uses fountain pens?

If so, what do you think their preference might be? Slim pen? Large pen? Material preference?

Lastly, what is your price range?

My own opinion, a black resin pen with gold trim looks professional and says "Congrats on your promotion" to me. You can find such pens by Sheaffer, Parker, Pilot, Platinum, Waterman.

They make nice ballpoints and rollerballs too.

Yes she has used fountain pens in the past. My budget is under $150. She has a big handwriting, and she usually prefers performance over appearances in most things, so I was thinking of giving her something practical. I also looked at E95S but it may not be right.

"But it is the same with humanity as with the tree. The more he seeks to rise into the height and light, the more vigorously do his roots struggle earthward, downward, into the dark and deep – into the evil." - Nietzsche, Friedrich Wilhelm. Thus Spoke Zarathustra.

A fountain pen is a very personal item. If you have a nearby pen store, you might consider a trip with the person or a gift certificate from the pen store. I once had a girlfriend who liked to use my fountain pens. The one she gravitated to most was a Parker Duofold. I gave her one for Christmas. Soon after, we went to a pen store together. After trying all the pens, her favorite—and next gift—was a Waterman LeMan 200. The Duofold stayed home and the LeMan became an everyday carry pen.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

A few suggestions...

Pilot Falcon $140

Pilot vanishing point $140

Pilot Stargazer $145

Pilot Prera $50

Or you could get something a little funky and get her a Pilot Plumix for $10

Edited by AuthorofDarkness

Pilot resin Falcon 144USD...great pen, good introduction to fine writing instruments.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

For durable I would recommend a Kaweco Al Sport. Great nibs, uses cartridges or a Kaweco squeeze converter, and is pretty dang indestructible. If you get the Raw finish, it will patina and scratch as she uses it, making it her pen. I love mine. Comfortable to use, and one of my favorite nibs. Always have it on me. Another plus is that everything can be dismantled on it for a really good clean.

EDIT: Plus the presentation is pretty stellar.

Edited by benbot517

"Oh deer."

I've also learned the lesson that a fountain pen is a very personal item. My wife will use all of my fountain pens, but she has favorites that I would not have guessed on my own. My kids are very similar in what pens became their everyday users.

I would recommend a trip to a store to let her try out a few and explain that it was a promotion gift idea, but because the nature of writing is so personal, you'd want to make sure it was the right one. Additionally, you'll also get the benefit of observing if this is something she would really want or use.

Buzz

A fountain pen is a very personal item. If you have a nearby pen store, you might consider a trip with the person or a gift certificate from the pen store. I once had a girlfriend who liked to use my fountain pens. The one she gravitated to most was a Parker Duofold. I gave her one for Christmas. Soon after, we went to a pen store together. After trying all the pens, her favorite—and next gift—was a Waterman LeMan 200. The Duofold stayed home and the LeMan became an everyday carry pen.

I think this is an excellent suggestion. Along with the gift of the pen, you would be giving the person the gift of selecting the pen and learning about options, and both of you an opportunity to do something together.

Edited by prf5

A Pelikan M200 would definitely leave a good impression.

That's my vote. Nibs are so swappable, too, in case FP addiction sets in.

Fred