Marcel Proust - Leak At Joint Of Section And Barrel

FredRydr

Bridges and infrastructures, always a delicate political topic...

MB sure didn't botch the Verne LE. They just made her pure deadweight on the cap.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FredRydr

• torstar

• isaacrn

• Chrissy

Joining this party a bit late, but yes, I had the same thing happen to my Proust, recently. I had sent back to MB via the retail store in Tyson's Galleria. Three-month turnaround, section replacement, about $90.00. Definitely worth it for me!

• 1 month later...

Quote is in from Hamburg. Replacing entire barrel: $459 US. I'll remind them to return the old (broken) parts.

Fred

Yikes. Perhaps it is worth asking Max for a repair quote. That just seems too much unless there is a lot to the problems.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Quote is in from Hamburg. Replacing entire barrel: $459 US. I'll remind them to return the old (broken) parts.

Fred

How much? :yikes: Crikey! :o I know Mb don't like reusing parts, and always prefer to add new ones, but could they not just add a new resin section to the existing sterling barrel? Even if it's just to try and keep the costs down a little. Isn't $459 almost a third of the current price of the pen?

In fact the issue price of the Proust was €614 (which converts to $658.) So their price to fix it is almost 70% of the original price of the pen!

Although I always extol the virtues of Mb service, I would baulk at paying this price.

Question Fred, is the damage to your pen consistent with damages experienced by the other Proust owners above?

Was there any description of the damage in your invoice, obviously the barrel is broken/cracked?

I'm selling a number of my watches, one goal is to purchase a Proust pen, any information appreciated, and won't discourage me from pursuing the pen.

The Proust is my favorite Writer's Editions, should have purchased one years ago.

How much? :yikes: Crikey! :o I know Mb don't like reusing parts, and always prefer to add new ones, but could they not just add a new resin section to the existing sterling barrel? Even if it's just to try and keep the costs down a little. Isn't $459 almost a third of the current price of the pen?

In fact the issue price of the Proust was €614 (which converts to $658.) So their price to fix it is almost 70% of the original price of the pen!

Although I always extol the virtues of Mb service, I would baulk at paying this price.

You sit down and figure out the most you are willing to pay for the pen, that $$$-value where you'd give them the "double bird" and storm out.

Then you multiply that price by 0.90 and VOILA!!! that will be the estimate. And you'll agree to it, and they know that.

$400 USD is what I would expect for sending a LE back to HQ...

Done it, didn't buy the t-shirt.

Yes, I suppose if people are prepared to pay it, they will continue to charge it.

I have only sent uninked WE's to Mb for nib exchanges and have never been charged anything so far. So I've been lucky. Not that I use a WE as an every day pen though.

Yes, I suppose if people are prepared to pay it, they will continue to charge it.

I have only sent uninked WE's to Mb for nib exchanges and have never been charged anything so far. So I've been lucky. Not that I use a WE as an every day pen though.

I've had cracked barrels and leaks and nib problems to send in. Some more costly than others.

With the watch or pen I have a choice, with the car or cat I have less of a choice.

With the watch or pen I have a choice, with the car or cat I have less of a choice.

Please don't send your cat to MB for service. They will replace everything but the teeth and claws. :gaah:

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Please don't send your cat to MB for service. They will replace everything but the teeth and claws. :gaah:

:lticaptd: Heh heh......yes, a vintage cat made all new and shiny again.

Concerning prices of Writers Edition pens, I only want a couple of them, willing to pay more for them.

Most of the designs are not for me, but the Proust and Mr Hemingway are.

Luck of the marketplace.

Concerning Montblanc service, shocking in Fred's case. Montblanc apparently does not believe it is a matter of design failure.

Question Fred, is the damage to your pen consistent with damages experienced by the other Proust owners above?

Was there any description of the damage in your invoice, obviously the barrel is broken/cracked?

I have trusted my Montblanc boutique since it opened as a flagship shop about ten years ago. So, I relied upon them to protect my back on this repair, and I did not attempt to take it apart beforehand. I also relied upon the posts here that gave the range of prices charged for what I thought was the same repair. I pre-authorized $300.

I got a phone call from the boutique with the news of the repair cost. The Proust is IMHO the finest of the WE pens and I knew the going price for used examples, so I simply caved and gave the okay. I did not get details of the nature of the repair except that the barrel would be replaced.

When I received an email regarding the return of my parts removed from my pen, the boutique manager wrote "Unfortunately, your Proust is in Hamburg Germany and the corporate will not send us the old part back. There is absolutely nothing I can do to get your piece back," I was frankly surprised at the unwillingness of the manager to go to bat for me after all these years. I know the new CEO of Montblanc NA, but before I bother him, I've asked the boutique manager for the name of the person above her who has the discretion to correct this.

I'm seriously annoyed with Montblanc.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Well, that sucks.

Yes, and the whole thing is unfortunate, in terms of public relations and good will t'ward the Montblanc community. If they had replaced the part for free, fine, maybe keep the old one, but the damaged barrel is not their property, to do with as they like.

Man, if they treat Fred like this, I won't stand a chance.

Edited to soften comment. :ninja:

Edited by karmakoda

:lticaptd: Heh heh......yes, a vintage cat made all new and shiny again.

Well, there is this...

post-665-1244000469_thumb.jpg

Hard times don't last, but hard people do.

Thank a Veteran.

I think I wrote this in another thread, this is a common problem with the Proust pen. MB Service can not send the old barrel back, they need the silver tube for the new barrel. The barrel is made from one piece, for this reason it is not possible to change only the section. To produce the resin barrel again is not the problem, the problem is the silver barrel ( overlay ) the former supplier does not longer exist. To disjoin the resin and the silver overlay you must destroy the resin part. So I would suggest that you will not get your "old" barrel back.

kind regards

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

Max,

Thank you. This information is crucial for a true understanding of the repair. My understanding is, then, that Montblanc does not install a new barrel, but must use a labor-intensive method to salvage my sterling overlay for the repair. With this information, I am more comfortable with the high cost of this repair, though my correspondence with Montblanc is not complete.

Since the former supplier no longer exists, I wonder if Montblanc stockpiles broken Proust barrels from pens such as mine as their only source for parts.

Max, do you have a recommendation regarding this break point? It seems to me it is a defect in design. Should the pen be capped loosely, and therefore not carried on one's person? Perhaps I should install a thin o-ring at the point where the cap meets the sterling overlay to reduce the stress on the resin part of the barrel.

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

Max,

Thank you. This information is crucial for a true understanding of the repair. My understanding is, then, that Montblanc does not install a new barrel, but must use a labor-intensive method to salvage my sterling overlay for the repair. With this information, I am more comfortable with the high cost of this repair, though my correspondence with Montblanc is not complete.

Since the former supplier no longer exists, I wonder if Montblanc stockpiles broken Proust barrels from pens such as mine as their only source for parts.

Max, do you have a recommendation regarding this break point? It seems to me it is a defect in design. Should the pen be capped loosely, and therefore not carried on one's person? Perhaps I should install a thin o-ring at the point where the cap meets the sterling overlay to reduce the stress on the resin part of the barrel.

Fred

Only the silver overlay is needed, the rest of the barrel is sure in stock. And yes, it is a design error, long-therm error, not direct during the production or some years later, maybe a decade later. In the meantime they should know what the design error was, so I would say it is possible to use the pen normal.

Max

HANDMADE PENS : www.astoriapen.hamburg ; REPAIRSERVICE : www.maxpens.de ; by MONTBLANC recommended repair service for antique pens

This again is a reason I haven't inked my Proust yet.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm selling a number of my watches, one goal is to purchase a Proust pen, any information appreciated, and won't discourage me from pursuing the pen.

The Proust is my favorite Writer's Editions, should have purchased one years ago.

I purchased a Proust and a Medici when both initially became available from Joon Stationary in NYC. They were the first ones he told me to purchase because I would like writing with them. I believe not long after purchased, I had to return the Proust to Germany. I was told Limited Editions molds were destroyed after the run of them were produced. Also, vaguely remember them telling me whatever the issue was could not be repaired; even with the cost quoted to repair, which is high glad to hear the pens are not in fact deemed not repairable as told several years ago. Sadly, I sold both pens eventually. Believe the two pens are still my favorite of the writer's series. Not to mention how much they have appreciated over the years. :yikes:

Edited by fountainpenlady

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub: