Favourite Cheap Pen

inkspot

This week it's my Pelikan Twist. Looks near indestructible, feels great in my hand. My only complaint is that it is only available with a medium nib...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hbdk

• Sandy1

• OakIris

• Charles Rice

Platinum Preppy - very consistent & nice writers for the price. OK, being plastic, they're not going to last a life time, but great pens and you won't get upset if one disappears - the Platinum Plasir will last longer, but the funky plastic and coloured nibs on the preppy make them fun.

Noodler's Ahab. You can tweak it to write like you want it to, swap nibs, and it has a great filling system.

Just received my Burmese Red today. I love it! Swapped out flex nib for a Goulet Pen Company XF steel one toned. Now, my Bexley, America the Beautiful is pouting. I could not wait for the one purchased to arrive in the mail, removed nib from it. I love the Noodler's Ahab Flex. My A.T.B., not so much. Hope the replacement nib arrives tomorrow, or my pen case will be very uncomfortable for the rest of them. :angry:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Nemosine singularity with a 0.6 mm stub. Because, stub.

Another Singularity fan here. I have two - a 0.6 and a 0.8 - and love them both. I also have a Jinhao 599A F that's a workhorse with a very smooth nib.

Life's too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

The Pilot Metropolitan is an absolute gem. Retails for about $20 and is not too light, is balanced, looks nice, and is a great smooth writer. It's what got my interested in Pilot's other offerings since their entry level pen was this good.

LOL - that's pretty much what happened with me, too, though my "gateway drug" was the Pilot Varsity, followed by the 78G and then the Metropolitan. Like you, I was impressed by the quality of their less expensive pens, especially the quality of their nibs, and wondered how much better their more expensive pens might be. I have a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 on its way to me so that I can find out. It can only get more expensive from there. ;)

Holly

Glad it ended up in good hands! Enjoy your Torino! (which color did you get?)

Usin' to edit and for quick notes........excuse the poor scan........

fpn_1424996068__torino_in_cracked_ice.jp

Fred

My Sheaffer No Nonsense pens that I "rediscovered" & led me to renewed interest in this madness. I had a bunch of the calligraphy nibs & besides being kind of fun to write with the same pen 50 years later one was a nice place to try the J Herbin Rouge Hematite without worry over harm to a more expensive pen. Gave me the courage to put the Stormy Gray RIGHT into a modern Sheaffer & after finally getting some of the Parker Penmans I was so confident (thanks to the NN's) I inked a Bexley Broad RIGHT up with Penman Mocha. I think it is pretty cool that a $1 pen is still writing well @ age 50+!

Hero 382.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.

Mark Twain

It might not quite fit under your price cap, but I am very impressed with the Platinum Plaisir (which I am given to understand shares nib, feed & section with the Preppy). I am also very impressed with my 3.8mm Pilot Parallel. I have some nice Hero 616s. As for the Ahab, I find I much prefer the Konrad. While the colors of the $20 model are nowhere near so pretty, I find the form factor much more agreeable. I've had good luck with 1mm Sheaffer Viewpoints, in spite of the humongous barrel cutouts. The medium (1.3-1.5mm, depending) is far less reliable IMX.

Reform 1745, F nib. About $12. Slimline (fits my small hand well), smooth writer, piston filler. Currently loaded with Diamine Sherwood Green.

Baoer 388, M nib. For less then $4 in quantity of 7, it is a GREAT buy. It is a good writer, once adjusted for flow. It looks good, just like a Parker Sonnet, so people think it is way more expensive than it is. Good enough to give as gifts. And if you want, it has a matching roller ball pen.

Honorable Mention:

- Baoer 801, M nib.

- Pilot 78G, M nib.

- Pilot Metropolitan, M nib.

- Rosetta Explorer, M nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Jinhao x750. Metal body. $9 with stock nib, which writes great, or $24 with Goulet #6, which writes a bit better.

Only pen I have at that price point is the Pilot Metropolitan. Although it definitely is 'punching' well above its price point! Love this pen.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

My favorite these days is a cute pen by Jinhao named JINHAO 886

Amazing writer by the way.

My review of the same can be found here LINK

img_20150226_0944042.jpg

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

Noodles Ahab

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

Pilot Varsity and I love to give them away.

I love the Pilot Varsity, and that's my work pen of choice.

I'm surprised at the lack of Lamy Safari's in this thread. I have two and they are super. Smooth and reliable.

That's because the OP stipulated under $20.00. A new Safari is almost $30.00.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

I have to give the Pilot Varsity another plug. My brother is cleaning out his basement and in doing so, he found a box of pens that have not been used for at least 15 years. Two of them were Pilot Varsities. He gave them a try and they wrote like they were fresh from the factory.

Pilot Metropolitan is my favorite so far... I use mine almost everyday and I haven't had any problems with it.

I'll second that. I have two and they are flawless.

skyppere