Lamy Safari Issues?

Goldenfiredrake

I was using my Safari and I capped the pen put it down and accidentally bumped it off the table and when I uncapped the pen again I noticed a large amount of ink on the nib. After taking it to the sink, I discovered that I could shake the ink out of my pen. I am using a Lamy cartridge. I also noticed that the tines on my pen are rather far apart, relatively much larger then the gap between the tines on my Parker 75 and my Parker Urban. Another problem is when I'm writing the ink flow seems to stop for a little bit at certain times even when the angle and position hardly changed. Do these problems occur with all Safari's or is it just mine? I have a fine nib.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goldenfiredrake

• ac12

• in the flow

• Mike 59

You can shake the ink out of many fountain pens, not an issue. In fact we used to do that in grade school, and that ticked off the teachers and our parents when we got home with ink on our clothes.

Gap of the tines is not an issue if the ink is flowing properly. Although all the Lamy nibs that I have seen typically have tight tines.

Ink flow should not stop while you are writing.

- But you do not say if the ink flow onto the paper is wet or dry. If it is dry, a dry pen could indeed skip.

- If you rotate the pen off the level tines, you will start to loose ink flow and eventually the ink flow will stop.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

If the pen was capped and did not land on the nib directly, it should be fine. Post a closeup of the nib so we can see if there's a problem.

For @ $7.00 you can get a new nib...where the tines are not wide apart.

Could be you pressed a bit hard for a bit too long.

It is possible to press the shoulders of the nib together to narrow the slit.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Agreed with what the others said. You can easily replace the nib and/or the converter, if need be.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

:W2FPN:

Hi,

If your pen has intermittent flow - not skipping - then it may be the case that the pen is not breathing properly.

Typically such problems may be solved by: 1) checking that the cartridge (or converter) is fully mounted on the nipple to form a good seal, and 2) ensuring the feed+collector assembly (hidden from view in the grip/section) is fully flooded with ink and there's no air bubbles.

The Safari is only compatible with the proprietary Lamy cartridges - no other brand. Some Members have found that some Brand X cartridges have an International fitting on one end and a Lamy fitting on the other end. But when you're troubleshooting, don't bother with Brand X.

After mounting a cartridge on a dry pen, the feed+collector needs to be flooded. Squeeze the cartridge to the extent that ink crests on the nib. Release your grip on the cartridge, then repeat squeezing a few times. It is my personal practice to use a converter to flood the feed+collector from a bottle of ink, then mount a full cartridge, and clean the nib and the converter.

For show and tell, we thank The Goulet Pen Company for bringing us these charming and informative videos:

cartridges

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHdgxVlPb0E&list=PL1AEFDC6AC935BAFC&index=8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhcKrZj-MTc

and Safari nib change

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPyKDtpREt4

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Well, if you posted pictures of the nib on your Safari, (a couple of pictures of the nib you have taken with a cell phone will do), it will help us get an idea about the pen. And it will help educated pen folks on FPN to make a diagnosis of your pen's problems. So, please post a couple of pictures if you can.

image1 shows how far the tines are from each other (this angle is from the bottom as it shows up better because there's less glare)

image2 shows how much ink is on the nib after being moderately shaken (as if you jumped off a couple of stairs)

image3 shows the amount of ink that is splattered out of my pen after a slightly more vigorous shake. Still wondering if this is normal

post-120923-0-42262100-1425007903_thumb.jpg

post-120923-0-22235300-1425007917_thumb.jpg

post-120923-0-38608500-1425007919_thumb.jpg

Edited by Goldenfiredrake

#1 it looks not right, but the top down image in #2 looks just fine.

The gap has to be wide enough to move the required amount of ink down to the nib, and not so wide that the ink looses contact with both sides of the gap (then the ink flow will stop).

It if delivers the amount of ink that it needs to, that is all that matters. Never mind that it looks different than another pen.

#3 YES

Fountain pens will spit ink if you do that.

In fact that is one way that is used to clean out ink and flushing water from a FP. Whip the pen like a thermometer and the ink/water will come out the front.

You can always buy another nib if you are not satisfied with yours, then you can compare. Safari nibs are between $11 and 15, depending on where you find them.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks for all the help guys! However, I've tried writing with it for a little bit and the ink flow stutters a lot while I'm writing. Mostly I can get the ink flow to resume on the next stroke but it slows down my writing. The pen isn't skipping but rather the ink flow just stops for a little bit and then resumes again. As Sandy1 said before it could be a breathing problem but I've tried re-securing my converter and then redrawing ink from the bottle, but the flow still isn't quite right.

It might be worth just flushing the pen through with water, overnight would be better, shake all the water out you can, stand the nib on a paper towel for 10 mins, and refit cartridge.

Your nib photos look ok, but the gap in the first photo does look wider than usual, but the easiest thing would be just try another nib on it, compare what you get then.

If you shake any fountain pen, ink will fly out of the nib, that's normal. If you drop it on the floor, ink will splatter on the nib also.

Have taken a photo of my latest Safari Vista nib, hope the photo helps you.

Edited by Mike 59

I couldn't tell from image #1. Image #2 looks ok?

I have had one similar mishap with mine to no ill-effect, and was relieved my Safari nib seemed to cope ok. It "looks" durable, ha.

I agree it could be breathing issues if skipping. Perhaps worth running with the flush and start over advice before getting a new nib??

• 8 months later...

image1 shows how far the tines are from each other (this angle is from the bottom as it shows up better because there's less glare)

image2 shows how much ink is on the nib after being moderately shaken (as if you jumped off a couple of stairs)

image3 shows the amount of ink that is splattered out of my pen after a slightly more vigorous shake. Still wondering if this is normal

The 'F' looks off-centre. I suspect the Lamy is not genuine.

The 'F' looks off-centre. I suspect the Lamy is not genuine.

The tine slit is off center too though, so maybe the machine that stamps the nibs also slits them and it was just misaligned in the machine for both processes.

The off center placement of the slit, is usually the sign of a non-genuine Lamy.

Lamy tests all its fountain pens and they would not have let such a defect pass, anyhow, the Lamy factory produces Safari, Vista, All-Star, Nexx and Studio steel nibs all day, everyday.

The only nib problem, I have ever heard of are from knockoffs.

It pays to visit Lamy website and find a genuine retailer link there.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?