Black Vs. Blue

Goldenfiredrake

I'm looking for a new bottle of ink but I don't know if I should get black or blue. I am using this as a multipurpose ink

Edited by Goldenfiredrake

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cattar

• Charles Rice

• Goldenfiredrake

• TheRealScubaSteve

A dark blue is prettier than black. It can be photocopied. With blue, one can easily identify the original.

If you are devoted to fine and extra-fine nibs, black is easier to read in a fine line.

In which fountain pen will this be used ?

If you have no confident answers, I would suggest Pelikan Royal Blue. It has a good record, and has

served well in all my pens for decades. Also, we have no intention of allowing you to have just one ink.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

The obvious answer to that conudrum is .... get both! Actually blue-blacks are great for an everyday ink. Try a noodlers Blue black or Pelikan?

I also suggest blue-blacks. If you want a well-behaved ink with a lighter colour I suggest Waterman's Mysterious Blue and if you want a darker more blue colour I suggest Iroshizuku Tsuki-Yo. For blues, I like Parker Quink Blue or Diamine Presidential Blue. For blacks I like Noodler's X-Feather, which has a thicker consistency, longer to dry, but is fabulous on cheap paper if you're using cheap paper. Hope this helps! :D

Thank you all for replying to this post even though I put it on the wrong forum (I should have put a post like this on "Inky Thoughts", right)

I am writing with a Lamy Safari as I am still pretty new to fountain pens. Although I seem to be experiencing some problems with it though

Don't buy a bottle; order a handful of samples and see what you like best. Goulet Pen Company, Anderson Pens, xfountainpens, and perhaps another company offer samples in 2 ml or 3 ml which is enough for a couple fills.

What's wrong with your Safari?

Blue vs Black...? Oh if was only that simple. My personal favorite is Waterman Mysterious Blue - well behaved, nice color, flushes easily. I agree with the earlier recommendation to get several samples. And thus it begins...

Before you used a fountain pen, did you use one colour or many colours? If one get the same, if many you'll end up with many so pick anything you like.

I always seemed to gravitate to black ink looking at my notebooks. So when I restarted with fountain pens I used Noodlers black for a couple of years. Then I realised I wanted to be a rebel and tried some blue ink samples. Now I've been using Waterman Serenity Blue for a couple of months.

WTT: My Lamy 2000 Fine nib for your Lamy 2000 Broad nib.

Since you're using a Lamy Safari, you can use cartridges or get samples.

I've always preferred black because it is serious and businesslike and I just don't like blue. However, that's a preference thing. There is no reasoning behind it whatsoever. Blue has grown on me a tiny bit. (I like Baystate Blue, and can't wash it off anyway.) But, it really comes down to personal preference.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

I think you should consider a nice blue-black ink - the best of both worlds! (Of course, I'd probably see it as white and gold...)

Parker 75, Ingenuity, Premier, Sonnet, Urban | Pelikan M400 | TWSBI Diamond 580 | Visconti Rembrandt

Currently inked: Diamine Apple Glory (Rembrandt), Pelikan 4001 Turquoise (M400), Lamy Black (Diamond 580)

Black, blue or blue/black

I use black and blue.

I used black for DECADES, and only in the past few years have started to use blue.

I was not happy with the few blue/black inks that I tried. I did not like the gray tint to those blue/black inks.

Blue has a huge shade/color range. Within the blue you go from bright to DARK almost black. The shade will also depend on the pen it is used in, wet pens writing dark and dry pens writing light.

Blue/black has a similar range of shade of the different blue/black inks.

For a GP blue ink, I would go medium to dark blue. Your call as this is a personal choice.

My medium blues are Waterman and Cross/Pelikan, my dark blue is Diamine Midnight (which I would use in place of blue/black).

I second the recommendation to get a sample. Actually MANY samples, to try the different colors and shades of blue. This is the fun and frustrating part of fountain pens, finding the right ink for you. You can be simple and go with the major pen brands (Parker, Sheaffer, Waterman, Lamy, Pilot, etc.) or branch out to the independent ink guys (Diamine, Private Reserve, Noodler's, etc). It is fun to do, but the sheer number of inks that look good to then sample can be daunting. I can only recommend you browse through the various online shops ink sections and look at the color samples for colors that you think you might like, and start sampling. And KEEP a RECORD as you test your ink sample, as your mind will forget things.

In the end it comes down to personal taste.

You may HATE a color that I like, and likewise, I may HATE a color that you like.

Even standard inks have issues. I did not realize how purple Waterman blue was until I compared it to PR DCSS blue. Now, I don't particularly care for Waterman blue, because of the purple, so personal taste also changes.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

I should say all three... blue, blue-black, black.

My favorite Blue-Black is Sailor Jentle Blue-Black absolutely fantastic ink!!! Highly recommending it.

Black is hard stuff, I really like all my blacks: Caran d'Ache Carbon, Platinum Carbon Black, J. Herbin Perle Noire.

Blue, well there are tons of blues out there, my favs are Diamine Asa Blue, J Herbin Eclat de Saphire

A dark blue is prettier than black. It can be photocopied. With blue, one can easily identify the original.

In days of yore Yes

But with today's color copiers this is no longer true

Samples are a good idea. I, too, discovered the allure of blue-black. It is obviously an acceptable business color, it is very readable, and it is different than all the blue of black ballpoint sticks that are floating around in people's pockets. It makes even simple writing noticeable.

I've only tried Pilot Blue-Black and Iroshizuku Tsuki-yo. Both are lovely inks, but the Pilot is cheaper if you can find it at all. I'd love to try the much-admired Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black, but it's gotten hard to get around here.

I could be mischievous and suggest ESSRI to you, too...

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

There are many samples of blue's and black's on this board. You might have a look at some of them and see what interests you.