Gaius Maecenas

fravin

Dear friends,

I'm almost closing a deal in one Maecenas. It looks like original to me, with all the boxes included. But I'm concerned about the finish of the pen. I've read that this model was made with sterling silver, so it's supposed to get darker by oxidation, right? Is this correct?

Look some pictures of the pen.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG-20150225-WA0015_zps8xadx9sc.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/fravin/IMG-20150225-WA0011_zpsfs8bumsf.jpg

If it's true, the effect looks quite good, remembering the roman antiques.

What do you know about it? It looks like original to you?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fravin

• Lamb South

• meiers

• _Stormin_

Top Posters In This Topic

it looks fine. I actually think the tarnish looks great on the pen.

In order to appreciate the sweet, you must truly taste the bitter....

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Or you can use a nice polish to get the original shine back and let it tarnish with your personal use of the pen.

If I'm not mistaken, there were two editions of this pen. The first one had some word misspelled I think. Do you know which one this is?

Or you can use a nice polish to get the original shine back and let it tarnish with your personal use of the pen.

That's a great idea. This effect is suposed to happens?

That is beautiful. I know of one dealer that has a NOS Gaius Maecenas, and it's in my "top ten" for acquisitions. Can't justify buying it until I have my JP Morgan though... :D

I would say that not only looks fantastic, but it's more beautiful because of the patina.

The sword clip is utterly awesome. I had never seen this clip before. I think the patina makes it look like it came from the period, giving it a more authentic feel. Congrats on getting a beautiful pen.

Lamb South

True Beauty is when a kindly word encourages and brings an unexpected smile.

The sword clip is utterly awesome. I had never seen this clip before. I think the patina makes it look like it came from the period, giving it a more authentic feel. Congrats on getting a beautiful pen.

Yeah, The first saw it I've think that's cool effect, looks like an antique piece. But When looking at the MB site I saw shinning pictures. So I've think thats something wrong here...

I'll pick it up on next weekend, and then will show you some pictures. Theses ones are from the seller. I'm very anxiously about it!

I have one with the mis-spelt latin on it. The pens were subsequently recalled and reissued with the correct spelling on the caps. Hopefully the rarer ones with the wrong spelling will gain in value :) although this probably means there are more than 4810 pens out there now.

Montblanc POA Series

I have one with the mis-spelt latin on it. The pens were subsequently recalled and reissued with the correct spelling on the caps. Hopefully the rarer ones with the wrong spelling will gain in value :) although this probably means there are more than 4810 pens out there now.

Nope... Much like the WE with the wrong signature, they replaced caps as pens were sent back in. The limited edition is still the same. The pens already sold manage to retain the incorrect cap (which is pretty cool).

If I'm not mistaken, there were two editions of this pen. The first one had some word misspelled I think. Do you know which one this is?

This is the correct spelling. The 4th word down on the far right says 'Curriculo' which is correct. The incorrect caps says 'Curricolo'

This is the correct spelling. The 4th word down on the far right says 'Curriculo' which is correct. The incorrect caps says 'Curricolo'

Hummm...

Very interesting....

Nope... Much like the WE with the wrong signature, they replaced caps as pens were sent back in. The limited edition is still the same. The pens already sold manage to retain the incorrect cap (which is pretty cool).

_Stormin_,

Do you know if a pen is sent into Hamburg for service like the Dumas or the Maecenas, will they automatically change out the incorrect piece for the correct piece on the pen?

Lamb South

_Stormin_,

Do you know if a pen is sent into Hamburg for service like the Dumas or the Maecenas, will they automatically change out the incorrect piece for the correct piece on the pen?

I too have the misspelled cap. Long story short, I thought it would be cool to have the pen with both the misspelled and correctly spelled cap so I contacted the MB boutique that I work with to inquire about getting the correctly spelled cap. To do that, I made up the story that I lost the original cap (little white lie) and needed a replacement. They contacted MB Headquarters in Germany and were told there were no remaining caps.

I too have the misspelled cap. Long story short, I thought it would be cool to have the pen with both the misspelled and correctly spelled cap so I contacted the MB boutique that I work with to inquire about getting the correctly spelled cap. To do that, I made up the story that I lost the original cap (little white lie) and needed a replacement. They contacted MB Headquarters in Germany and were told there were no remaining caps.

That's too bad. I recently sent my Dumas FP into the Hamburg service center for a nib exchange and was hoping they would exchange the current cap (son's signature) for the correct cap (father's signature).

Lamb South