Red Inks For Document Marking

SeeksAdvice

After having gotten rid of my bottle of Diamine Poppy Red due to contamination, and mostly going through my stock of reddish ink samples, I have come to the conclusion that I am looking for a strong red for document markup and trial work. Contemplating:

Skrip red looks pretty vibrant, and cheap. I am guessing that the downside is durability and possibly poor performance?

Iroshizuku Momiji. My sample proved itself to be well behaved, though not terribly water resistant. A bit pink for my tastes.

DeA Oriental Red. Never tried this one.

Thing is, Diamine Poppy Red and Wild Strawberry met the requirements for contrast, but all of my Diamine inks developed problems. Wild strawberry came the closest to what I was looking for in a red (bought a bottle of Poppy Red too soon).

I don't do Private Reserve, so that one's out.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SeeksAdvice

• Frank C

• Runnin_Ute

• Arkanabar

Hi there. Skrip red has become my go-to marking ink. It's super well behaved on pretty much every paper and every pen I've used it with, seems to hold up well over time. It's also super cheap. A nice vibrant red-red. It's really good stuff. Just wish the bottle was more practical.

Bottles are fixable with other containers.

Imagination and memory are but one thing which for diverse reasons hath diverse names. -- T. Hobbes - Leviathan

Skrip Red is my go to. Bright, clean red.

Physician- signing your scripts with Skrips!

I'm so tough I vacation in Detroit.

My new favorite red is Mont Blanc Corn Poppy Red. It is a serious red red. (Can I use the same word as an adjective and a noun back-to-back?)

Here's a review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/279387-montblanc-corn-poppy-red/

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

My new favorite red is Mont Blanc Corn Poppy Red. It is a serious red red. (Can I use the same word as an adjective and a noun back-to-back?)

Here's a review: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/279387-montblanc-corn-poppy-red/

I like corn poppy also. Yet, I love using red ink normally for everyday ink for usage. For the intended purpose of document marking, I am unsure whether corn poppy would work. Corn poppy is that perfect color of red, but a little subdued purpose of highlighting. When I think of a color for document marking, I think of that loud, killer red which is used by a teacher or professor, who wants to make sure you see what they find incorrect on your assignment. :yikes:

Ea Alis Volat Propiis, per/Repletus Fontis Calamus!
She Flies by Her Own Wings, with filled Fountain Pen

Delta DolceVita, F-C Intrinsic 02, Pelikan M800 red/black striation, Bexley ATB Strawberry Swirl, Red Jinhao 159, Platinum 3776 Bourgogne. :wub:

Skrip red demonstrated "Good" lightfastness in Amber's 2013 fade olympics, and to me, it looks like a straight-up no nonsense totally pure red. But my local pen shop doesn't carry Sheaffer pens or inks. :yikes: My wife bought Noodler's Widow Maker instead, and it's working ok for markup.

Corn poppy red looks interesting. I just don't see many options for purchasing it yet.

Corn poppy red looks interesting. I just don't see many options for purchasing it yet.

I bought mine at the local Mont Blanc Store; we are very fortunate, we have two of them. Anderson Pens and Fountain Pen Hospital both sell MB Ink, but neither had Corn Poppy on the website. A google search brought up a couple of prospects, though.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

I bought mine at the local Mont Blanc Store; we are very fortunate, we have two of them. Anderson Pens and Fountain Pen Hospital both sell MB Ink, but neither had Corn Poppy on the website. A google search brought up a couple of prospects, though.

Plenty in stock right now. :)

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Noodler's Nikita has my grading ink of choice for five years. Well behaved, bright. Blackstone Red comes in a close second.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

When I was looking at reds I was looking for a nice "true" red. My top two? Diamine Classic Red followed closely by Sheaffer Skrip Red.

Bought Classic Red, Never an issue with it Have had it about two years now.

For something to the darker side? I have Levenger Pomegranate and BlackStone Red Cashmere.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Blackstone red? Which series, and at what dilution? I have ~2.5ml of Cashmere at 8%, and 3ml at 16%.

I'm still using one of the original test sachets of Red Cashmere and am real happy with it at 8%. It doesn't dry out in the nib when I go a short period without marking anything and it seems a little brighter than the 13% or 16% dilutions so it is easier to see when my eyes are tired. Dry times are good and it handles cheap student notebook paper about as well as Nikita. I have been using 8% in an Estie J with a 9788 nib for a couple of months and at least a dozen fills.

Dave Campbell
Retired Science Teacher and Active Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Blackstone red? Which series, and at what dilution? I have ~2.5ml of Cashmere at 8%, and 3ml at 16%.

I mixed mine at 8% (50 ml Levenger bottle) (Cashmere)

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I'm still using one of the original test sachets of Red Cashmere and am real happy with it at 8%. It doesn't dry out in the nib when I go a short period without marking anything and it seems a little brighter than the 13% or 16% dilutions so it is easier to see when my eyes are tired. Dry times are good and it handles cheap student notebook paper about as well as Nikita. I have been using 8% in an Estie J with a 9788 nib for a couple of months and at least a dozen fills.

It regularly goes into my P45 with a F, but not solely. I don't have it in anything currently. I have Pomegranate in that pen right now.

Brad