• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sannidh

• Scampo

• 4lex

• Frank C

Top Posters In This Topic

maverink, hari, do the VP 18k medium nibs run this wide? (I have resisted getting a VP for quite some time :), since it was pilot pilot all around :P )

soniknitr,

I bought a Lamy 2000 in F in 2013 and have been using a Pilot Vanishing Point in M since 1999. The Pilot M is finer than my Lamy 2000 F. Both are wonderfully smooth nibs, I rate them equivalent in that respect. Both nicely wet writing. But the Pilot M is closer to most European F nibs, and my Lamy 2000 F was between a European F and M. I have a Waterman F and it is very close to the Pilot M nib, maybe a little bit finer, but not much.

My Lamy Al-Star EF nib is similar to the Pilot M nib.

So impressed with my 1999 Vanishing Point (used daily now for close to 16 years, like new, perfect for me in all respects), I bought the 2014 Copper Limited Edition Vanishing Point. I also have 5 Vanishing Point nibs: EF, F, M, M, B. You can purchase a VP nib assembly now for $55 from Goulet Pens in any of the four nibs in 18k gold. They have rhodium plated, black finish, and yellow gold. I switch nibs back and forth, but usually keep one with the F and one with the M with me.

WoW that's one awesome VP collection!

When I compare my recent lamy2000(F) to some of my pilots (c823, c74 in M, c92 in FM) and it seems to run more like a pilot FM (& thinner than a pilot M). For pilots since I am located in India, I get it from the Indian arm of engeika. (they give a good discount with customs paid), last time they quoted a net price of USD 140-145 for a vp-decimo. The copper LE is one of them I had craved for !! I wanted to get it, but it was meant only for the US market (not Japan) :)

I had seen some reviews of vp-18ks running wider than other pilot-14k nibs of the same width. Is that true?

And do your recent VPs run wider than the earlier models (1999)?

Best,

Sonik

You have come to earth to entertain and to be entertained - P.Y

Some Pen & Paraphernalia Reviews

• 2 weeks later...

Bravo Sonik, another superb review.

I am not normally attracted to Lamy pens but such was your review that I shall now give the brand, and in particular this pen, a second look.

Many thanks for sharing so generously.

Pavoni.

Bravo Sonik, another superb review.

I am not normally attracted to Lamy pens but such was your review that I shall now give the brand, and in particular this pen, a second look.

Many thanks for sharing so generously.

Pavoni.

Thank you Pavoni for your always so generous comments. Delighted that this made you give the pen a second look. Do let us know when you try the dialog 3 :)

Regards,

Sonik

• 5 weeks later...

I was thinking of buying it for a long time but I always felt it is a bit overpriced. But then yesterday I have found one on WHS outlet eBay store 40% reduced and just had to buy it. I am looking forward to trying it out, I am quite confident that the nib will be good and I love the design, just hope it is not too uncomfortable for a longer writing session.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

I was thinking of buying it for a long time but I always felt it is a bit overpriced. But then yesterday I have found one on WHS outlet eBay store 40% reduced and just had to buy it. I am looking forward to trying it out, I am quite confident that the nib will be good and I love the design, just hope it is not too uncomfortable for a longer writing session.

That's a real good deal :thumbup: . I hope you have the nib thing in mind as these nibs run quite wide. My F runs like a M.

For long writing sessions it seems to be okayish :)

Best,

Sonik

Wow, I didn't think I liked this pen but now you've changed my mind. Your photos make it look less like an uncreative latecomer to the bauhaus party, and more like an elegant encore. Thanks for posting this review :thumbup:

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

WoW that's one awesome VP collection!

When I compare my recent lamy2000(F) to some of my pilots (c823, c74 in M, c92 in FM) and it seems to run more like a pilot FM (& thinner than a pilot M). For pilots since I am located in India, I get it from the Indian arm of engeika. (they give a good discount with customs paid), last time they quoted a net price of USD 140-145 for a vp-decimo. The copper LE is one of them I had craved for !! I wanted to get it, but it was meant only for the US market (not Japan) :)

I had seen some reviews of vp-18ks running wider than other pilot-14k nibs of the same width. Is that true?

And do your recent VPs run wider than the earlier models (1999)?

Best,

Sonik

Sonik, sorry I did not see your question until now. My first VP had a 14k M nib. The 2014 LE came with an 18k M nib. I can't tell that the 18k is much broader than the 14k, it certainly is not softer. I do not try to flex a nib that is not intended to be flexed, so I can't comment on line variation.

Note that after some years of use I must have lightly jammed the 14k M nib when inserting it in the pen barrel. One tine was very slightly bent upward and was a bit scratchy (just a wee bit). I re-aligned the other nib to be inline and it returned to its original smoothness. But, it is a tiny bit wider writing than it had been. So, my 14k M nib was not in its precisely original shape when I got the newer nib; the 18K M nib might have been a bit wider writing than the 14k was originally. But the difference is very slight. My "restored" 14k M nib is still finer than most European M nibs, close to my Waterman 18k F nib.

I hope all the switching from 14 to 18k is not too confusing. Don't know how to simplify what I wrote.

Eschew Sesquipedalian Obfuscation

Wow, I didn't think I liked this pen but now you've changed my mind. Your photos make it look less like an uncreative latecomer to the bauhaus party, and more like an elegant encore. Thanks for posting this review :thumbup:

I am very happy that the review made you consider getting a dialog 3. Thank you for your time, :) Tom.

Best,

Sonik

Sonik, sorry I did not see your question until now. My first VP had a 14k M nib. The 2014 LE came with an 18k M nib. I can't tell that the 18k is much broader than the 14k, it certainly is not softer. I do not try to flex a nib that is not intended to be flexed, so I can't comment on line variation.

Note that after some years of use I must have lightly jammed the 14k M nib when inserting it in the pen barrel. One tine was very slightly bent upward and was a bit scratchy (just a wee bit). I re-aligned the other nib to be inline and it returned to its original smoothness. But, it is a tiny bit wider writing than it had been. So, my 14k M nib was not in its precisely original shape when I got the newer nib; the 18K M nib might have been a bit wider writing than the 14k was originally. But the difference is very slight. My "restored" 14k M nib is still finer than most European M nibs, close to my Waterman 18k F nib.

I hope all the switching from 14 to 18k is not too confusing. Don't know how to simplify what I wrote.

Thank you, for sharing your experience at such a detailed level. Happy for your restoration of the older 14k VP :) . Since they run finer than a European-F, I think that a M-nibbed VP will be perfect (I have resisted this urge till now, since decimos are never short of supply here).

Best,

Sonik

Thanks for the review and photos. I bought one of these several years ago. I haven't used it in some time. It is an interesting pen. The shutter on mine doesn't close completely anymore. A trip to the Lamy service department would probably take care of that. I have some Pilot Fermos as well. They are also nice pens, but they don't get much use, either.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

Thanks for the review and photos. I bought one of these several years ago. I haven't used it in some time. It is an interesting pen. The shutter on mine doesn't close completely anymore. A trip to the Lamy service department would probably take care of that. I have some Pilot Fermos as well. They are also nice pens, but they don't get much use, either.

Thank you, Frank. BTW, when did you get the dialog ? The Shutter is an essential part. I had an issue in which the nib would come out and there would be some false rotation. Tried screwing the barrel tightly over the bottom unit without allowing the nib unit to rotate. It kind of fixed the issue. Not sure, if this helps!

Lamy service will definitely fix it, I have had more than a nice experience with the Lamy customer care here :) .

Best,

Sonik

Thank you, Frank. BTW, when did you get the dialog ? The Shutter is an essential part. I had an issue in which the nib would come out and there would be some false rotation. Tried screwing the barrel tightly over the bottom unit without allowing the nib unit to rotate. It kind of fixed the issue. Not sure, if this helps!

Lamy service will definitely fix it, I have had more than a nice experience with the Lamy customer care here :) .

Best,

Sonik

I bought quite a few Lamys about four or five years ago. They are good utilitarian pens. The nibs are really what I like, so I went back to Japanese pens, mostly. I will try your fix, tomorrow. Bed time in Las Vegas, now. 2221 on the Mac Screen.

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I fully agree. The Dialog 3 is a beautiful pen. My first Dialog 3 "vanished" to my wife :D but the second is still on my desk as a "daily in use" pen.

I love the pure (Bauhaus-like) design and its fascinating shutter mechanism. I once had a problem with the mechanism but the excellent Lamy service fixed it (all parts but the nib replaced).

Great review for a great pen.

Thank you.

https://schreibkultur.requirements.de ... my blog - currently in German only

I bought quite a few Lamys about four or five years ago. They are good utilitarian pens. The nibs are really what I like, so I went back to Japanese pens, mostly. I will try your fix, tomorrow. Bed time in Las Vegas, now. 2221 on the Mac Screen.

Oh ok.. I do hope that there is no major issue :ninja: .

Have a great week ahead !

I fully agree. The Dialog 3 is a beautiful pen. My first Dialog 3 "vanished" to my wife :D but the second is still on my desk as a "daily in use" pen.

I love the pure (Bauhaus-like) design and its fascinating shutter mechanism. I once had a problem with the mechanism but the excellent Lamy service fixed it (all parts but the nib replaced).

Great review for a great pen.

Thank you.

Glad to hear your experience ingolf, though I don't want mine to vanish :yikes: . I love lamy's & GvFCs designs. Both have an awesome customer service too. Thank you for going through the review.

Best,

Sonik

Oh ok.. I do hope that there is no major issue :ninja: .

Have a great week ahead !

I checked my pen out, the shutter is just sticky. I do like the heft and the industrial design characteristics. Time for a trip to Lamy for a tune-up.

I checked my pen out, the shutter is just sticky. I do like the heft and the industrial design characteristics. Time for a trip to Lamy for a tune-up.

Good luck with the servicing :).

Edited by soniknitr

Good luck with the servicing :).

Thanks. I'll post an update when it comes back.

• 2 months later...

I was using Dialog 3 for about 4 weeks and I like the design. Nib was pleasant to use with a bit of feedback but not scratchy at all and a bit on the wide side. It was to heavy for longer use but okay for note taking.

The reason I sold it is that you can't see how much ink is left in the converter unless you take the converter out. I know, it is a small design flaw that you can avoid if you are using cartridges but I usually carry just one pen with me and I hate running out of ink. If it was not for that minor detail I would have kept the pen because it is a lovely design.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy