Your Favorite Sheaffer Inlaid Nib Model?

Manalto

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Manalto

• jar

• sexauerw

• jmccarty3

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I only ever used various Targas and had a too-immaculate-to-use chalkmarked Imperial Touchdown (VIII, I think) like Bruce's. Of the two models, I preferred the Imperial's looks and plastic body, the Targa's robust snap cap. I suppose my 'favourite' would probably be a PFM of some sort, I'm still curious about them.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

I'm going to try to be patient about getting a PFM but, like you, curiosity smolders. In the meantime, my NOS Targa 1001 fine has arrived (two days from Colorado to Connecticut!) and a 444 XG Quasi Imperial fine is on the way. Both are brushed stainless, the Targa with a chrome clip and steel nib, the 444 with gold clip and nib.

I particularly like how the cap blends into the barrel on the Targa. It's a clean design that's pure 70s, yet doesn't look dated. I've inked it with Noodler's Sequoia and it's a smooth, slightly-wet writer. The line is a little bit robust for a fine, which is perfect. Haven't had a chance to put it through its paces, but so far I'm thrilled. Thank you, Targa enablers!

Edited by Manalto

James

Carrying my Targa that I bought new in 1982 and an burgundy Imperial IV I picked up late last year so both are inlaid nibs. I like that the earlier Imperials are touchdown fillers. I think I like the Imperials better to use as they are lighter, made for using. I've never owned a PFM but, one day...

Roger W.

Congratulations! I think you will be very happy with your Targa. I forgot I had an Imperial as well. But I haven't used it since buying a replacement nib (broader in my case) than came on the pen & has been put aside to have the replacement/ installation of new nib. But I liked it's feel when I got it. I agree that the Targa is a more "classic" design & prefer it to the Imperial which looks a bit dated (kind of an "upscale" 45.) I think your Targa fits perfectly your desire for neither the anorexic nor obese & I am afraid my Imperial has a bit of "middle aged spread!") )

PFM III or V. These are readily available, and there are plenty of good folks around to maintain the Snorkel filler if need be. The medium nibs on these pens are finer than the current mediums, which now are made in Europe.

I also like the Legacy I and II, with the touchdown filler. If you can find one with a factory stub nib, snap it up. Otherwise, probably best to stick with a fine. The Legacy I sections, like the original PFM, have a 3-point friction ring, while the Legacy II and Legacy Heritage sections have a continuous circular friction ring.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

PFM III or V. These are readily available, and there are plenty of good folks around to maintain the Snorkel filler if need be. The medium nibs on these pens are finer than the current mediums, which now are made in Europe.

I also like the Legacy I and II, with the touchdown filler. If you can find one with a factory stub nib, snap it up. Otherwise, probably best to stick with a fine. The Legacy I sections, like the original PFM, have a 3-point friction ring, while the Legacy II and Legacy Heritage sections have a continuous circular friction ring.

Really, really, REALLY like the PFM V. I'm on the lookout. Also, the stub nib (they must be uncommon?) sounds enticing. Line variation really does make writing distinctive.

Forgive my ignorance; I don't understand what friction rings are. Is that the capping mechanism? Sorry.

James

Forgive my ignorance; I don't understand what friction rings are. Is that the capping mechanism? Sorry.

Yeah. Compare something like a Targa section (ring) to a 444 section (3 point).

Really, really, REALLY like the PFM V. I'm on the lookout. Also, the stub nib (they must be uncommon?) sounds enticing. Line variation really does make writing distinctive.

Here you can see the two different cap retaining systems; the two on the left the three-point style and the next three the full ring.

http://www.fototime.com/11E7F471F88B0B0/large.jpg

From left to right: a PFM V, Legacy, then three Legacy 2s.

My Website

I've always thought the inlaid nibs. I had several Targas, but decided they were a bit heavy and thin for my taste. However, the Imperial touchdowns as still among my favorite vintage pens--nice and light with a comfortable section and they seem to write a nice wet line.

Tricky. I have a wonderful sterling silver Targa with a factory stub nib which I like writing with very much. I think that's the winner for me.

I'm going to try to be patient about getting a PFM but, like you, curiosity smolders. In the meantime, my NOS Targa 1001 fine has arrived (two days from Colorado to Connecticut!) and a 444 XG Quasi Imperial fine is on the way. Both are brushed stainless, the Targa with a chrome clip and steel nib, the 444 with gold clip and nib.

Actually, I'm mistaken here, Richard was the one who touched up Letta's grind.

2012-08-26_11-48-13_953.jpg

And this is a fun little set too.

2012-07-06_13-21-03_843.jpg

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

The 444 arrived, and I inked it up with Noodler's Heart of Darkness. While the pen, understated and utilitarian in brushed stainless, lacks the panache of the PFM, the gold clip (it's rather short, isn't it?) and nib distinguish it as a cut above. The 14K (585) nib makes an effortless, crisp fine line, and I was surprised to discover that it has a fair amount of flex to it. It's buttery smooth, where the Targa is only margarine smooth. I love them both. The inlaid nib provides a smooth transition from section to nib, so gripping the pen is a matter of comfort rather than dictated by the design of the pen. Both the Targa and 444 are comfortable (I would say more comfortable) posted, which is convenient for chaotic classroom conditions.

I also got a black and stainless Imperial cartridge model on eBay for $30, which hasn't yet arrived. Took a bit of a gamble, with blurry photos and no other bidders (Did they know something I didn't? Is $30 high for this model? Won't it take a converter?) but it benefits an animal shelter, so worst case scenario, I donated to a good cause. Will continue my quest for a PFM with a gold nib and colored (strong preference for burgundy) barrel.

Edited by Manalto

James

I also got a black and stainless Imperial cartridge model on eBay for $30, which hasn't yet arrived. Took a bit of a gamble, with blurry photos and no other bidders (Did they know something I didn't? Is $30 high for this model? Won't it take a converter?) but it benefits an animal shelter, so worst case scenario, I donated to a good cause. Will continue my quest for a PFM with a gold nib and colored (strong preference for burgundy) barrel.

It depends on the model. IIRC the Compact series were designed to be cartridge only but the Compact ones are usually easy to spot.

My Website

I also got a black and stainless Imperial cartridge model on eBay for $30, which hasn't yet arrived.

The Imperial arrived today. Condition is pristine; it looks like it was never used. None of the universal converters I had on hand fit. Is there one that will? Had some trouble getting it to write with a cartridge, but wetting the nib solved that. I like the design (that mimics the PFM) where the round barrel is pinched into squarish ends, but still pining for the bigger, beefier PFM.

post-118450-0-70289800-1425337191_thumb.jpg

James

• 2 weeks later...

TARGA. Get the Targa. The Sheaffer Targa is literally the most beautiful pen I have ever seen(besides the Parker Vacumatic, and maybe the Wahl-Eversharp Doric, but I'm digressing...). I have the brushed stainless model, and it is lovely. It is an excellent daily writer, and it makes this lovely, lovely click when you cap it. The clip works excellently, in my experience, and is very handsome. I am having a hard time communicating the sheer love I bear for the Targa, but I hope I get the idea across. And as a bonus, they are frequently available for well under $100. It also was made in a wide variety of colors and patterns. The black tulle pattern is perhaps the best looking; the chrome model sure is good looking too. The brushed stainless is harder wearing, though. You don't need to worry about wearing the chrome off, or dinging the delicate tulle lines. You cannot go wrong with a Sheaffer Targa.

-Evan

TARGA. Get the Targa. The Sheaffer Targa is literally the most beautiful pen I have ever seen(besides the Parker Vacumatic, and maybe the Wahl-Eversharp Doric, but I'm digressing...). I have the brushed stainless model, and it is lovely. It is an excellent daily writer, and it makes this lovely, lovely click when you cap it. The clip works excellently, in my experience, and is very handsome. I am having a hard time communicating the sheer love I bear for the Targa, but I hope I get the idea across. And as a bonus, they are frequently available for well under $100. It also was made in a wide variety of colors and patterns. The black tulle pattern is perhaps the best looking; the chrome model sure is good looking too. The brushed stainless is harder wearing, though. You don't need to worry about wearing the chrome off, or dinging the delicate tulle lines. You cannot go wrong with a Sheaffer Targa.

-Evan

I agree. So enthusiastically in fact that I got one three weeks ago. Since then it has been my daily carry pen. I like all the things you mention about the brushed stainless (the one I got) plus its convenience when posted.

post-118450-0-47842600-1426511716_thumb.jpg

It's impossible to wax too poetic about the Targa. Its sleek, subtle, sophisticated good looks don't announce themselves, "Look at me! I'm trying to be modern!" the way some pens do. I will, however, avoid the slimline version, since the standard Targa just barely makes it under the wire for comfortable girth.

To use at home, there's nothing like my recent addition, the PFM IV. I thought I liked the V, but prefer the two-tone cap, despite its fingerprint-prone qualities. A little beefier, and big enough to use unposted. Clip and nib are gold on this pen, which is hard to tell from my hasty photo.

post-118450-0-45929900-1426511966_thumb.jpg

Edited by Manalto

James